The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #19,111 of 24,807
Quote:
CLEAN ROOMS ARE A MYTH!

Just kidding, that's a hard drive joke.

Do you have a source for your information? You've always been reliable for information, but I'd like to read it - because I assume it has more information about electrostats.

I'm not sure I agree on your suggestion that electrostatic drivers are more complex. Is there really much more to it than being a big sandwich of thn materials?

A large number of electrostatic drivers are deceptively strong for their size (generally more so than their dynamic counterparts). However, I would say that dynamic headphones are a more machined process than electrostats. I would say, that the most costly R&D would go into making "new" electrostats; unique capacities, spacings, width. But I can't remember the last time stax did that personally.

But I guess I am shocked when I see the simplicity of a magnet glued to a piece of paper in way older dynamics.

There was a Stax interview few years ago, in a japanese magazine.
(since english is not my mother language, I translate it as good as I can):

Most parts of the drivers are handmade.
1.Preparation: First, the diaphragm & dust cover,  Attach the mylar diaphragm to the metal frame,
The diaphragm must be totally flat,no folds,the method is secret.
Then the dust cover, use fingers to rub it, slowly,This will add folds on it, to avoid frequency resonance,  it takes 30 hours.
Every metal frame is washed & cleaned carefully, to remove small metal wires. the painting of the stators is a time consuming work too.
These preparations takes a lot of time

2.Assembly: The electrostatic drivers are assembled in a clean room,
there has a dedicated vacuum cleaner, The workers are wearing white clothes.
Under a magnifier, they use tapes to remove any dust on the parts .then assemble them.

3.Inspection: They use a 40years old, handmade measuring instrument to do this.
Measure the sensitivity, tension etc of  each driver,and some noise tests,
then matching them. after these, the drivers are put in a box with hygroscopic agent.delivered to the headphone assembly factory.
Because the diaphragm will stretch when temperature changes, the storage temperature is controlled at 20'C....

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #19,113 of 24,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

....Then the dust conver, use finger to rub it, slowly,This will add folds on it, to avoid frequency resonance,  it takes 30 hours.....

Some worker sits there for 30 hours and rubs the dust cover with his finger-?   I can't quite picture this.....

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #19,114 of 24,807
PRICE OPINIONS?

What do you guys think a good price for buying an SRM-1 / MK2  would be?

What about an SRM-7? (pro bias)

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #19,115 of 24,807
Quote:

Some worker sits there for 30 hours and rubs the dust cover with his finger-?   I can't quite picture this.....

I can in China.  Oops, did I say that out loud?  
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #19,118 of 24,807
Is he the guy who has to rub the dust covers for 30 hours?

Judging by his expression, I want to think "yes."

This "guy" as you say is the current president if I am not mistaken. The other gentleman is the sales director. Pay some respect...

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #19,119 of 24,807
Quote:
This "guy" as you say is the current president if I am not mistaken. The other gentleman is the sales director. Pay some respect...

It was a comment made in good humor.

Actions speak louder than words, and I've certainly done my share to support Stax over the years by using their products. I only have the utmost respect for what they do.

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #19,120 of 24,807
Quote:

All the costs of consumer idiocy would be passed onto Stax and Stax's US distribution partner, and due to Stax's limited throughput, a handful of 1 star reviews from users who can't figure out how to plug their Stax Pro plug into their computer sound card port would do a lot of damage to Stax's reputation due to SEO.

o2smile.gif

the same folks who found the coffee cup holder on their pc to be so flimsy when ejected

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #19,122 of 24,807

I think your humor sensor is out of alignment. :wink:

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #19,123 of 24,807
Quote:
I think your humor sensor is out of alignment.
wink.gif

Chalk it up to text's limitations at communicating intent.  I can see both MF and arnaud's point, and arnaud's previous posts have indicated that he does, in fact, have a sense of humor :)

Does Stax do all their assembly in-house?  That's pretty amazing, given that the company's about a dozen people.

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #19,124 of 24,807
Hello,

today I received my (used) SR007MK2. I biught it from a local dealer and plugged it in and was astonished. Very good ..... But isn't there TOO much bass? The bass quality is awesome but to me it sounds as if there is too much. I used the SRA14S. I will take my other amps and try out...

Regards Georg

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #19,125 of 24,807
Now you guys have me curious about hearing these again.

Quote:
Hello,

today I received my (used) SR007MK2. I biught it from a local dealer and plugged it in and was astonished. Very good ..... But isn't there TOO much bass? The bass quality is awesome but to me it sounds as if there is too much. I used the SRA14S. I will take my other amps and try out...

Regards Georg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back