The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #17,836 of 24,807
Thanks for all the replies to my WEE issues - really appreciated!

I've tried lifting the ground, and reversing AC polarity, without luck. I'm pretty confident this is not a ground loop problem as I've tried all of the obvious steps. To be honest I'm quite confused at this point...

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #17,837 of 24,807

Quote:
The more I use my SR-009/SRM-727/Realiser (with AIX PRIR's) combo and try other amps with this combo, the more I think its just not worth the price of going to a high end amp (WES,LL,BHSE), imo. I am sure the WES, LL, BHSE, SRM-727 are all fine amps, but when you use them for the SR-009's it just becomes a matter of what flavor you like best, imo.

Have you actually heard these amps or are you just speculating? Given how subjective the hearsay impressions of others can be, speculation isn't much of a substitute for experience.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #17,841 of 24,807
I've seen posts going both ways when it comes to differences between amps driving the 009 as well as scale of differences between 007 and 009.

For me personally the amp makes a huge difference whether it is the 009 or the 007 that is being driven. The 009 especially changes dramatically from one amp to another.

Bear in mind the sources for the amps were not the same one when making these observations.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #17,843 of 24,807
Thanks!  any comments as to how this would compare to the exstata hybrid?  using sr-lambdas.

Quote:
400$ (+/- depending on condition early/late version, etc.)

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #17,844 of 24,807

Quote:
Thanks!  any comments as to how this would compare to the exstata hybrid?  using sr-lambdas.

The SRM1Mk2 Pro is more neutral exstata is darker. I would probably go with SRM1Mk2 (or maybe wait for a cheaper SRMT1)

In any case, the SR-Lambda is a great phone.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #17,846 of 24,807
I scored a pair of Stax Gammas with the SRD6SB through the family tree.

I need an amp.
Any recommendations?
I was thinking something along the line of a Fiio A1, the Audioengine N22, or the Nuforce Icon Amp.
Hoping to find the balance between cost and quality.
The N22 and the Icon cost about 2x the A1.
And the N22 is the only one of the three with a headphone out (Need speaker binding posts for the SRD6SB).

Anyone know if there's be a noticeable difference in quality between the A1 and the others?
Then there's the question of Longevity... If I want new headphones...  

comments and suggestions welcome.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #17,847 of 24,807
I scored a pair of Stax Gammas with the SRD6SB through the family tree.

I need an amp.
Any recommendations?
I was thinking something along the line of a Fiio A1, the Audioengine N22, or the Nuforce Icon Amp.
Hoping to find the balance between cost and quality.
The N22 and the Icon cost about 2x the A1.
And the N22 is the only one of the three with a headphone out (Need speaker binding posts for the SRD6SB).

Anyone know if there's be a noticeable difference in quality between the A1 and the others?
Then there's the question of Longevity... If I want new headphones...  

comments and suggestions welcome.

I'm using a vintage Sherwood receiver as an amp. If you don't need digital inputs you can get a really amazing sound on the cheap with vintage gear. I paid something like $40 for the receiver I'm using and it sounds great, built like a tank too. The headphone out of the Sherwood sounds better to me than my Burson 160DS, though I'm only able to test it with my $50 portables at the moment. Vocals and drums sound like they are in the room with me when listening through the Stax and I'm listening through a budget CD player I dug out of the attic with black metal that was originally recorded on an 8-track.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #17,848 of 24,807

Quote:
Have you actually heard these amps or are you just speculating? Given how subjective the hearsay impressions of others can be, speculation isn't much of a substitute for experience.

LL, WES, 323 and of-course the 727.

Do you really think in my rig a BHSE is really go to make much of a difference, except about $4000 more and a different flavor.
Give me a break, I am in affect hearing Binaural recordings and MCH, are you?
You are right about "speculation isn't much of a substitute for experience". So are you just speculating?

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #17,849 of 24,807

Quote:
I'm using a vintage Sherwood receiver as an amp. If you don't need digital inputs you can get a really amazing sound on the cheap with vintage gear. I paid something like $40 for the receiver I'm using and it sounds great, built like a tank too. The headphone out of the Sherwood sounds better to me than my Burson 160DS, though I'm only able to test it with my $50 portables at the moment. Vocals and drums sound like they are in the room with me when listening through the Stax and I'm listening through a budget CD player I dug out of the attic with black metal that was originally recorded on an 8-track.

Very interesting.
I have a ~20 year old pioneer receiver in plastic in the basement that I was ignoring due to the "turd" factor.
it is an unreliable turd, which I had deemed unworthy to push signal through the Stax.
Perhaps I should just pull it out for testing.

Then again the record store (yeah, we have one still) down the street consigns clean vintage gear.  I could pick up a piece there, but he doesn't even know what he has and is asking too much for everything.  I thought i'd be better off buying something new, with a warranty, and that won't take up half my living room...
maybe I can bring Mr record store into reality and pick up on of his Marantz pieces. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back