The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #17,596 of 24,807
I've been following the price of the SR-009 at pricejapan for the past few months, and the price keeps dropping as the Japanese Yen isn't doing very well.  Does anyone have any idea how much lower the Yen can possibly go?

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #17,597 of 24,807
If you wish to stay with a Stax amp for the O2s, clear from lots of comments that either the 717 or the modded 727 are the best choices (save the holy T2). Not sure that I have seen any suggestion on which (the 717 or modded727) would be the preferred and why. Any volunteers..?

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #17,598 of 24,807

Quote:
I've been following the price of the SR-009 at pricejapan for the past few months, and the price keeps dropping as the Japanese Yen isn't doing very well.  Does anyone have any idea how much lower the Yen can possibly go?

If we knew this then we would be entrepreneurs, not head'fiers :)

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #17,599 of 24,807
They COULD go Weimar Republic on us, with hyperinflation to the point that 100 notes are restamped as 10 billion... 

Quote:

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #17,601 of 24,807

Quote:
I listen at low levels.  I'm aware of our brains' pitfalls i.e. expectation bias, etc. but I think it would be a fun experiment.  Of all amp ABX's this is the one I'm most certain I could pass, as I said when I got my BH.  Maybe I'll fail though, but I'm not afraid to.  I have no pride on the line 
tongue.gif
 Now, to find a used T1...

I have no doubt you'll easily pass this blind test.

I'm not sure exactly how quiet you listen, but I've done the comparison with the T1 I used to own and my KGSSHV at the 67-70dB (c-weighted) level I usually listen at its a pretty substantial difference.

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #17,602 of 24,807

Quote:

And that, my friends, is why the world is going to crap. Everyone's own little biased worldview is more important than empirical evidence.

Can the last one to leave please turn off the lights?

Here here! I am in favor of forestalling any return to the 10th century!

When Galileo showed the moons of Jupiter orbiting that planet in his telescope to officials of his day, they told him that the moons were obviously INSIDE THE TELESCOPE and that Jupiter couldn't really be like that.

A little like "oh that's far too inexpensive to be any good" or "plugging the Magic Clock Radio into the same AC line as your audio system will improve bass articulation, give a 'blacker' background to the music, enhance color accuracy in Blu-Ray playback and clear up your erectile dysfunction...."

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #17,603 of 24,807
I'm back!! Picked up my 727 amp back from the dealer today. Stax replaced one of the bridge diodes (there were also a couple of resistors in a separate bag), adjusted the DC offset and it's working nice and smooth again! First tune: Sebastian Sturm - Get Going, haaaaaaaa, I missed my rig but it's now all back :wink:

I also had a chance to do some listening against a couple of other cans at the store: post #4189 . Edit: listening to 15 Steps from Radiohead at home again now and the experience is quite different from the store. Not sure if it's because I am getting used to the 009 again or the source, but it is extremely dynamic and well balanced, comparatively better than at the store. And now Birds from Emiliana Torrini, this is just frigging awesome :wink:)

cheers,
arnaud

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #17,604 of 24,807
Is there any significant difference between the different Energizers/Transformers available?
I won't get the Woo Wee since that is unnecessarily expensive, but is there a significant difference between the SRD 4/5/9/whatever?

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #17,605 of 24,807

Quote:
Is there any significant difference between the different Energizers/Transformers available?
I won't get the Woo Wee since that is unnecessarily expensive, but is there a significant difference between the SRD 4/5/9/whatever?

The 6 and 7 series have larger (i.e. "better"??) transformers. I have a 5, and it sounds just fine to me with good amps. I also have 7's, and they are a bit better, but not that much.

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #17,606 of 24,807
The 6 and 7 series have larger (i.e. "better"??) transformers. I have a 5, and it sounds just fine to me with good amps. I also have 7's, and they are a bit better, but not that much.

So if I get an entry level Stax setup, there is no need to get a more expensive transformer. Or at least I suspect the difference between the models won't justify spending a whole lot of money on.

I don't really think the specs of a transformer aren't going to vary that much any way. That is, if the the energizer really is only a transformer, and not any other circuitry.

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #17,607 of 24,807
Even entry level Staxes are very transparent to what you feed them with. I heard a clear difference with the SR-202  between a 717 and KGSS in favor of the latter, although i'm not sure if that was just the matter of the 717's coloration or if there was an step-up in dynamic range... didn't get to level match the volume either unfortunately.

Mar 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #17,609 of 24,807
Even entry level Staxes are very transparent to what you feed them with. I heard a clear difference with the SR-202  between a 717 and KGSS in favor of the latter, although i'm not sure if that was just the matter of the 717's coloration or if there was an step-up in dynamic range... didn't get to level match the volume either unfortunately.

Interesting.

Although that is irrelevant to the issue whether there is difference between the energizers.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #17,610 of 24,807
Tilpo did you already get some stats? There's an 8/10 SR-202 in the classifieds for $200 I believe. Excellent deal. I was very tempted but managed to keep myself from buying them somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back