The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #16,831 of 24,807
Stax Japan now defunct - welcome Stax China - good or bad you decide.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #16,833 of 24,807
can you guys provide links to elaborate on this!?!?

all i've seen is the thread on this forum, which doesnt have any sources (besides a chinese headphone forum).  the only news on the "other site" links back to the thread here

edit:  it is official, edifier is buying out stax.  chinese press release here:  http://www.edifier.com/sce2009/news/viewthread.php?ID=1535

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #16,835 of 24,807

Quote:
Stax Japan now defunct - welcome Stax China - good or bad you decide.

It has no bearing on the amps as the best ones aren't made by Stax anyway. The likelihood of them making a T2 successor was pretty much zilch. If anything cash from the new owners might make a new flagship amp more likely. The headphones.. it's impossible to say. There could be some new more affordable models made possible by Chinese production. If the SR-009 sticks around, it will likely remain a Japanese product, similar to the way Canon and Nikon still produce their very best glass at home.

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #16,838 of 24,807
To celebrate the buying out of Stax, I went ahead and finally pulled the trigger on the SR-009.

I think my partner is going to be just a wee bit mad.... 
ph34r.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #16,840 of 24,807
As long as the SR-009 doesn't end up being the next Orpheus (price and rarity-wise), we should be fine.

However, I'm still curious as to what this means for the not-so-wallet-busting Lambda models, and what Edifier plans regarding more affordable Stax products. After all, the big barrier to entry regarding Stax isn't so much the headphone prices, but the prices of the driver units that cost just as much, if not more than the headphones themselves.

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #16,841 of 24,807
quote:

all i've seen is the thread on this forum, which doesnt have any sources (besides a chinese headphone forum).  the only news on the "other site" links back to the thread here

edit:  it is official, edifier is buying out stax.  chinese press release here:  http://www.edifier.com/sce2009/news/viewthread.php?ID=1535

adding a japanese source (Nikkei is the most trusted news source for the Japanese economy.), it says...

On December 9th, Edifier Technology Co.,Ltd. , chinese audio equipment manufacturer announced that they acquires the japanese headphone manufacturer STAX. The price is 120 million yen (1.55million US$). Edifier Tech says that they try to expand sales for tying the Stax's high technology and their own low-cost production technology. This is one of the examples that Japanese companies with high techlonogy to acquire Chinese companies.
Edifier Tech buys all the shares held by the president of Stax, Meguro. Edifier Thechnology is one of the chinese companys that produce a speaker or earphone. Their revenue in 2010 is 719 million yuan. They focus on Stax's high-technology of electrostatic headphones. According to the Edifier Tech, Stax had a deficit for the delay in new product launches in 2009, but in 2010, Stax has returned to profitability.

Say it ain't so  STAX!!!!!
frown.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #16,843 of 24,807
$1.55 million US?????
That makes no sense at all.
A 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan cost more than that.
Is this a joke?

Quote:
quote:

adding a japanese source (Nikkei is the most trusted news source for the Japanese economy.), it says...

On December 9th, Edifier Technology Co.,Ltd. , chinese audio equipment manufacturer announced that they acquires the japanese headphone manufacturer STAX. The price is 120 million yen (1.55million US$). Edifier Tech says that they try to expand sales for tying the Stax's high technology and their own low-cost production technology. This is one of the examples that Japanese companies with high techlonogy to acquire Chinese companies.
Edifier Tech buys all the shares held by the president of Stax, Meguro. Edifier Thechnology is one of the chinese companys that produce a speaker or earphone. Their revenue in 2010 is 719 million yuan. They focus on Stax's high-technology of electrostatic headphones. According to the Edifier Tech, Stax had a deficit for the delay in new product launches in 2009, but in 2010, Stax has returned to profitability.

Say it ain't so  STAX!!!!!
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back