The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #15,946 of 24,807

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I guess I'm joining the Stax club now =)  I bought a Stax SR323s amp while I'm waiting on another amp that's being built. I'm using the SR323s to power the 007 mk1 and I'm VERY happy with what I'm hearing. What I'm most happy of is that it's a fairly affordable combo ($2300 total for headphone and amp for me) without much faults that I can hear. I suppose the SR323s would be a great amp to get for the 007 and I can imagine this system being the end of the road for some Head-fiers. I'm just waiting on my other amp and see how they fare against each other, but I probably won't be making any more headphone equipment purchases anymore. This is pretty much it for me in Head-fi!
biggrin.gif

Congrats, does that mean that the HD-598 isn't the greatest headphone ever anymore?
beyersmile.png

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #15,947 of 24,807
Guys, I just got a quote from the local authorised dealer about fixing the channel imbalance for the Omega II mark 2... USD$1500 man....what the....

I don't think they even bother to examine the problem, just said "oh, drivers need to be replaced in cases like this, ordering parts from Japan and labour cost will work out to USD$1500".

Can someone please point me to where I can get the channel imbalance problem fixed? Tried calling Stax Japan, but none of their staffs could understand English :frowning2:

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #15,948 of 24,807
OUCH, you can almost get a new one for that much. Where are you located?

I'd try ping up the dealers in another country, to see if they can send it in to Stax Japan for you, or maybe they'll have a more sane repair price.

Good luck dude.

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #15,949 of 24,807
Quote:
Guys, I just got a quote from the local authorised dealer about fixing the channel imbalance for the Omega II mark 2... USD$1500 man....what the....

I don't think they even bother to examine the problem, just said "oh, drivers need to be replaced in cases like this, ordering parts from Japan and labour cost will work out to USD$1500".

Can someone please point me to where I can get the channel imbalance problem fixed? Tried calling Stax Japan, but none of their staffs could understand English :frowning2:

Whenever I get some interest in trying the 007's again, with the 323S this time, (based on wind016's comments), I see some comment like this one... that reminds me... that Stax stuff is a "luxury" for those who don't mind spending that kind of money, or those who can do all their own maintenence and mods. 

And... even then, I'm reminded of the comments by very experienced Headfiers, who suggest any improvements in the sound over leading dynamics / orthos are so slight, that it doesn't justify the much higher cost. 

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #15,950 of 24,807

Quote:
And... even then, I'm reminded of the comments by very experienced Headfiers, who suggest any improvements in the sound over leading dynamics / orthos are so slight, that it doesn't justify the much higher cost. 

Stax service if you live in the US is a mess, I don't think there's any doubt about that. So why put up with the headaches, if Stax is barely better than a dynamic or ortho? Because that's not true. Other than the R10, dynamics do not play in this league, and I think the orthos still have a ways to go as well.

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #15,952 of 24,807

Quote:
Whenever I get some interest in trying the 007's again, with the 323S this time, (based on wind016's comments), I see some comment like this one... that reminds me... that Stax stuff is a "luxury" for those who don't mind spending that kind of money, or those who can do all their own maintenence and mods. 

The improvement is slight but it is better and it's around the same price for me. IMO, top tier dynamic/orthos have just the same level of "luxury" status. They aren't really much different from much cheaper headphones yet people pay multi thousands on systems for them. $2000 spent on an orthodynamic system gets you much less than $2000 on an electrostatic system IMO.

That maintenance cost does seem ridiculous though. That's almost the same price as I paid for my 007 mk1 used. All headphones fail eventually though =/

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #15,953 of 24,807

Quote:
Well the other thing is the semis aren't your run of the mill $.50 pieces, some of them are $6 or $7 each. I think I am up to $250 in sand for just the amp section and that is with getting in on some attractive group buys that slashed the price of them in half
redface.gif

Sorry for the noob and off-topic question, but does "sand" here refer to silicon (i.e. solid state devices - transistors and etc)?

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #15,956 of 24,807
Fart is good.  The stitching on the pads should be rotated forward somewhere between 8 and 11 o clock depending on your contour.  You can also bend the metal arcs in or out to help with the seal/comfort.

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #15,957 of 24,807

Quote:
Fart is good.  The stitching on the pads should be rotated forward somewhere between 8 and 11 o clock depending on your contour.  You can also bend the metal arcs in or out to help with the seal/comfort.

With the SR-007, I like the way you can rotate the earpads, rotate the center "wafers" that hold the drivers and have the cable exit along their edges, and also rotate the headband forward and aft some, all in combination, adjusting it all to get a good seal and good comfort.  It's a nice design, made possible by the fact that the drivers / earcups are circular.

This Stax thing, never knew it would suck me in like this.  I went from no Stax earspeakers to having 2 Stax amps, a Stax "adapter/energizer" and three sets of Stax headphones (Sr Lambda Pro, SR Lambda Signature, and SR-007) in less than a month....  this hobby is worse than a drug addiction. At least with a drug addiction, it eventually kills you and so then you stop.....

By the way, I am putting new earpads on the Lambda Pros, cleaning them up and then will sell them, if anybody needs a set, another week or so they will be FS. Their sound is just too similar to the Lambda Signatures to justify keeping both, and I like the slightly faster / treble-forward Signatures a little better.

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #15,958 of 24,807
It's been a while since I've actually listened to the 202+ExStata rig and once again it completely blew me away; the speed, clarity, and how natural the sound flows out the 202 is plain breathtaking. The HD650+Millet SS has nothing on the stax other than bass impact and comfort (those pleather makes my ears sweat like heck). I can't believe that I'll be ordering a BHSE this week. I might need to sell my 71' VW Bug :D

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #15,959 of 24,807
>>those pleather makes my ears sweat like heck<<

Yeah, leather or pleather, HOT EARS result. I like velour.  Wish I could get velour for Stax.

Hmmm... a cottage industry business opportunity maybe, making velour earpads for various headphones with leather (real or ersatz) earpads.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #15,960 of 24,807
So, can anyone tell me why there are 2 headphones in in the Stax 007tII amp when it is designed to be paired with the higher-end Stax phones which are power hungry and need all the power of the amp (and some here say that its not even enough to drive one pair of 007's, incl. me).  I understand in some of the other Stax amps one out is normal and the other is pro, but here we have 2 pro outs!  This is the 3rd time i've posted this but no response.... it probably is a very stupid question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back