The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #15,886 of 24,807
milosz (hey my name is Milos :) ), the Lambda Sig and T1 is a fantastic pairing.  Probably my favorite Lambda setup I've had.  

Jodet, I have no clue how to quantify it but the 007 is significantly better IMO.  As for your second question, yes that should be a nice system.  If you decide to get the 007mk2, be sure to google for the spritzer mods, all of which are completely reversible.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #15,888 of 24,807
I apologize, somehow i missed your ambitious project. Great work, I do hope you find all the effort has paid off.

Quote:
Oh it happened all right. Actually listening to them right now. The shape is a bit smaller and different from Sigma but probably the same effect sans plastic.
I am still going to make some small changes but the pics are from even before I had a chance to hear them.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/541076/stax-sigma-wood-mesh-housing/60#post_7586091

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #15,889 of 24,807

Quote:
Two questions for Stax folks:  

1) How much better is the SR007MK2 over the SR-507?

2) Would a SR007MK2 / 323S combination make sense?

All comments welcome.

Jodet,  

I picked up a SR007 MK1 about a month ago and just purchased the 323S.  I think this combination is very good, although still early days.  I have only had the 323S in my system for a few days now.  The 323S is much better with the MK1s than the T1S, which I loved with my SR202.  I think you would be very pleased with it.  There are some other comments on the forum related to the O2/323S synergy.  Just play with the search feature a little.  These comments are what convinced me to buy the 323S.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #15,890 of 24,807
Nothing wrong with matching the Mk2 and 323S together but I must say I'm very disappointed with the Mk2 compared to an early 007A and the Mk1.  With the Mk1 as the golden standard the 007A gives a slightly different sound (once you have adjusted them to fit your head, this is crucial as it seals the ports) with more bass bloom on the lowest registers and just a slight forward tilt to the sound.  The Mk2 on the other hand is just annoyingly bright and messes up a lot of the things that make the 007 so good. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #15,891 of 24,807

Quote:
Jodet,  

I picked up a SR007 MK1 about a month ago and just purchased the 323S.  I think this combination is very good, although still early days.  I have only had the 323S in my system for a few days now.  The 323S is much better with the MK1s than the T1S, which I loved with my SR202.  I think you would be very pleased with it.  There are some other comments on the forum related to the O2/323S synergy.  Just play with the search feature a little.  These comments are what convinced me to buy the 323S.

I'm curious what kind of music do you prefer?

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #15,894 of 24,807
I listen to everything except country. Listened to mk1/323s today with beck, steely dan, and jazz at the pawnshop. All sounded fantastic. Also able to listen to some redbook rips that were disappointing on the stax basic system and with mk1/t1s. A few of these now sound really good.

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #15,895 of 24,807
OK, so I found a pair of SR-007's I could afford, they are MKII's, and are on their way. Waa-hoo!

I have an SRM-T1  and  an  SRM-1/MK2 for my Lambda Signatures, so with the SR-007  I will likely want a  better amplifier. 

I like building stuff; have some level of skill and 40 years soldering / fabricating experience.... can anyone suggest some very good DIY amps for the SR-007's?

=========================================================================================
I was just thinking about the "40 years experience" part- where does the time go? - I realized that I was probably listening to a good headphone rig before many of the current Head-Fier's were born.  MAN does that make me feel old!  Ha ahhahahha.

In 1971  I had a pair of ESP-9's, an SAE MK XXX preamp, Harmon-Kardon Citation 12 power amp, Philips 212 turntable with ADC  XLM cartridge, Akai GX-365 open reel deck, Dynaco FM-5 tuner.  ESP-9's were probably the best headphones available at that time, I would guess.  This setup sounded pretty good.  I also had an AR XA turntable and Sure V15 pickup, but to me the ADC in the Philips sounded better.  Those ESP-9's were horribly uncomfortable if used for more than 30 minutes or so.

Jul 10, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #15,896 of 24,807
I would cook up a KGSSHV, it's cheap(relative) and cheerful, and it's a new design so sourcing parts isn't that big of a problem.

But if that isn't enough for you, there are 5 letters out there that remain the holy grail for Stax users. D I Y T 2.

Jul 10, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #15,897 of 24,807
Precisely, deadlylover knows.

@milosz,
I hope that you have a high voltage blast suit. <j/k>
The extremely high voltages flying around inside these amplifiers are lethal. No joke, one wrong move and it can stop your heart.
Your DIY skills should be honed for safety.
If you contemplate building one of these, please read the associated threads at the other site in their entirety before proceeding.

The DIY T2 is an advanced project, the most exotic stat amp ever.
The KGSSHV is a medium difficulty build, it ended up being a challenge for me in more ways than one.
Figure on spending approx $1K in parts only for a KGSSHV or $4K for a T2.
Costs are relative depending on casing and component quality and could vary from -25% on the low side to sky's the limit on the high side.

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #15,898 of 24,807

Quote:
Precisely, deadlylover knows.

@milosz,
I hope that you have a high voltage blast suit. <j/k>
The extremely high voltages flying around inside these amplifiers are lethal. No joke, one wrong move and it can stop your heart.
Your DIY skills should be honed for safety.
If you contemplate building one of these, please read the associated threads at the other site in their entirety before proceeding.

The DIY T2 is an advanced project, the most exotic stat amp ever.
The KGSSHV is a medium difficulty build, it ended up being a challenge for me in more ways than one.
Figure on spending approx $1K in parts only for a KGSSHV or $4K for a T2.
Costs are relative depending on casing and component quality and could vary from -25% on the low side to sky's the limit on the high side.

I once worked on a linear accelerator which operated at 85,000 volts, with 0.500 amps available from the power supply. Big particle accelerators are fascinating machines. The thing was obsolete, built by Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., but had cost a bundle so the hospital that owned it wanted to have it fixed.  The biggest danger from that contraption was the depleted uranium used to shield the beamhead. You couldn't use steel tools around that, because they would strike sparks easily and since there's always some radioactive isotopes left in depleted uranium, the burning metal in the sparks constitute an inhalation hazard. We had to use beryllium-copper tools there.... 

I've also worked on a number of CT scanners and electron-beam Xray systems, along with ordinary Xray gear, although potentials in ordinary Xray equipment doesn't usually go above 35,000 volts or so.

I built an RF amplifier once (for use on the AM broadcast band) which had a 5,000 volt power supply for the output tubes, capable of well over one amp of current.

So,  I figure I am qualified to work on tube headphone amp projects.  I promise not to use any depleted uranium. 
wink_face.gif

The cost might be another issue, of course.

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #15,899 of 24,807

Quote:
I would cook up a KGSSHV, it's cheap(relative) and cheerful, and it's a new design so sourcing parts isn't that big of a problem.

But if that isn't enough for you, there are 5 letters out there that remain the holy grail for Stax users. D I Y T 2.

DIY T2 - is this the same as Dr. Gilmore's "Blue Hawaii?"

I've googled DIY T2  and HEADPHONE DIY T2  and I see some stuff over at Headwize - there's the Blue Hawaii and some other stuff, but no "DIY T2"

Can anyone provide links to the DIY T2 (if different from the Blue Hawaii)  and the KGSSHV?

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #15,900 of 24,807
OK  so now I see that the DIY T2 is not = Blue Hawaii.  

Hmmm. Interesting.  A complicated build, lots of parts in this thing. LOTS.  I'm looking now to see if PCB's are available, if they are not it makes this project like ten times more work and increases the probability of smoke by many powers of ten....

I don't smoke and my gear shouldn't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back