The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #15,767 of 24,807
The power light, feet and screws have been replaced, and the owner has hand written "in" and "out" on the back.

Quote:
I was just looking on ebay for Stax  stuff just for the fun of it when I saw another Srm-1/Mrk-2. That part that strikes me is that I am using the same one and mine is 4 numbers higher in the serial number but
there is a good amount of differences.
http://cgi.ebay.com/stax-srm-1-professional-stereo-headphone-amp-amplifier-/180682896393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a118a3409

The power light is green mine is red, looks like it has extra feet and silver screws instead of black ones. The rca's say in and out but they are wired together on the inside Just brought it up because it seems odd.
I have 2 all ready so not really needed but if his lambda pro's go reasonable they would make a good start at another pair of sigmas. This is ebay we are talking about though lol

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #15,769 of 24,807
Does anyone have experience with either the WES or BHSE powering Lambdas, more specifically, the 507. I don't have the money for either at the moment, but that should change in around a month or two. I plan to eventually buy the SR-009, but likely won't be able to afford that for a few years. I don't know if the improvements I will see are worth it. I will buy one of them eventually, but don't know if I should just wait until I can afford both at the same time. It may not be a bad idea to put the money aside in case my car breaks, and I have to buy a new one.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #15,771 of 24,807

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with either the WES or BHSE powering Lambdas, more specifically, the 507. I don't have the money for either at the moment, but that should change in around a month or two. I plan to eventually buy the SR-009, but likely won't be able to afford that for a few years. I don't know if the improvements I will see are worth it. I will buy one of them eventually, but don't know if I should just wait until I can afford both at the same time. It may not be a bad idea to put the money aside in case my car breaks, and I have to buy a new one.

Quote:
I think it's better to get the SR-009 first but that's just me.

Given the reliability probems with the SR009 and its possiby being too bright for some tastes or some music I would go the other way.  The BHSE amp is a highly-regarded state-of-the-art product that will make any phone sound better.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #15,772 of 24,807

Given the reliability probems with the SR009 and its possiby being too bright for some tastes or some music I would go the other way.  The BHSE amp is a highly-regarded state-of-the-art product that will make any phone sound better.

I agree, I'd wait until the kinks are all fixed before buying the SR009. Imo I'd feel terrible if I have such a high-end headphone being underpowered (ExStata in my case) by an inappropriate amp. Hasn't there been some rumors about a well known builder releasing a stat amp supposedly better than the BHSE? My memory might be faulty but I remember reading it somewhere in head-fi.

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #15,773 of 24,807

Quote:
 Hasn't there been some rumors about a well known builder releasing a stat amp supposedly better than the BHSE? My memory might be faulty but I remember reading it somewhere in head-fi.

In the same thread you can also read that according to Stat's Mafia based on info what tubes are used in that new amp design,  its not  and never will better BH.

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #15,777 of 24,807
Hello. A new contributor here. I'm looking for a little help with my very old SR Lambdas (normal bias).  I get the usual 'crinkle' noises from both earpieces when there are pressure changes, but this is now much more noticeable/annoying on one side than the other. I thought it might be the seals (old pads) so replaced these. The RH side is still very sensitive following this - it didn't make any difference.

Are these just 'past it' or does anyone think there might be a possible repair. The audio works beautifully still!

Thank you
Neil

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #15,778 of 24,807
Hello. A new contributor here. I'm looking for a little help with my very old SR Lambdas (normal bias).  I get the usual 'crinkle' noises from both earpieces when there are pressure changes, but this is now much more noticeable/annoying on one side than the other. I thought it might be the seals (old pads) so replaced these. The RH side is still very sensitive following this - it didn't make any difference.

Are these just 'past it' or does anyone think there might be a possible repair. The audio works beautifully still!

Thank you
Neil

heh for my 202 and 404 I thought that was just a normal property of stats :D . It's really annoying though. Meant I couldn't chew while wearing the HP :D. Also curious whether this is solvable. (before swapping the pads I take it you had about the same magnitude problem on both ears?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back