The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #15,691 of 24,807

Quote:
That's nice and all but the real question is can it beat the KGSS or BHSE?
wink.gif

Nope.  I've built one unit based on LL1630's and two based on the LL1627's and while they are very good for transformers the dedicated amps do everything better.  Still if one has a good speaker amp you could certainly do a lot worse. 

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #15,695 of 24,807

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the pass-thru rca's on the 323S require the unit to be turned on to work? 

Quote:
I don't think so since they are always electrically connected.

Indeed, they are electrically connected. No need to turn the unit on for pass-thru.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #15,696 of 24,807

Quote:

Indeed, they are electrically connected. No need to turn the unit on for pass-thru.

That's a good thing.   Then I could get an Anedio D1, run it into the 323S and then into my power amp.   The D1 would run my ATH-W1000X's, and the Stax amp.

The Stax amp runs so hot I wouldn't want to run it all the time I was using the main amp/speakers.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #15,697 of 24,807
I don't know about the 323S, but for the 006tS amp, there is a note  on the use of Parallel Out saying:

"When the preamplifier/integrated amplifier connected to Parallel Out is powered off, sound might be distorted due to lowered impedance. In this case either power on the preamplifier/integrated amplifier or disconnect the cable. If another driver unit is connected to the Parallel Out, turn down is volume to minimum to avoid lowering the impedance".

Does this mean that in the Parallel Out configuration both amps need to be "On" to minimize potential distortion?

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #15,698 of 24,807
I apologize if this isn't the place for this, but is it possible to get SR-202 or any other working headbands (The whole plastic part) anywhere?

I've murdered my Stax by having the cord pulled off my desk, but they're in perfect working condition aside from not actually being attached to the headband...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pictured below is my sad excuse for a pair of headphones. :frowning2:

EDIT: I see that Audiocubes has them for $130, but that seems absurd for just a bit of plastic. Are there any other options?

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #15,700 of 24,807

Quote:
Nope.  I've built one unit based on LL1630's and two based on the LL1627's and while they are very good for transformers the dedicated amps do everything better.  Still if one has a good speaker amp you could certainly do a lot worse. 

Amen. You can all believe it, I believe my ears. I have three my own dedicated amps: 717, 007t II and a very good DIYamp. I check these everyday in comparison with Accu amp plus LRT Transformer. No doubts, no hesitation what is better. Perhaps KGSS and BHSE are better, perhaps... 

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #15,702 of 24,807
hmm, not much difference, eh

Bifila is good for high current low voltage applications, ES step-up has too much voltage for bifila, the differential between adjacent wires will be way too high for the magnet wire insulation to handle....unless you use thick stuff like 600V rated teflon tubing.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #15,703 of 24,807

You should be able to order the case holders separately from a Stax dealer. They are secured by a pin that has to be removed with a fine punch.
Quote:
I apologize if this isn't the place for this, but is it possible to get SR-202 or any other working headbands (The whole plastic part) anywhere?

I've murdered my Stax by having the cord pulled off my desk, but they're in perfect working condition aside from not actually being attached to the headband...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pictured below is my sad excuse for a pair of headphones. :frowning2:

EDIT: I see that Audiocubes has them for $130, but that seems absurd for just a bit of plastic. Are there any other options?

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #15,705 of 24,807

Quote:
hmm, not much difference, eh   ...

I read about and appreciate your Lundahl-project. I personally think, that with very good recabling to/from LL and better amp you can achieve more difference than with other type of transformer. I made some experiences with my three SRD Boxes (6 SB, 7 PRO, 7 Mk2) and many amps. As spritzer indirectly mentioned, there' re many setups worse or much worse to the dedicated amps, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back