The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #15,348 of 24,807
Hello to all,

I'm fairly new to this forum and untill now I have read a lot of posts to get a bit acquainted.

For normal bias phones, I use a SRM-1/Mk2 which I would like to upgrade (actualy a P.P., but I fitted 1 normal bias socket). I have read about swapping out the power transistors for 2SC5466 units, currently used in Stax amps. However, in a SRM-323 thread I read that 2SC3675 transistors are to be preferred over the 2sc5466 units. Why is that and which transistors are best for the SRM-1/Mk2 (p.p.)?

For pro bias phones, I use a SRM-727II on which I want to perform the "spritzer mod". What resistors are to be used? metal film, carbon film, others? Are 1/2 Watt resistors "big" enough?
Does it make sense to swap the 2SC5466's in this amp with 2SC3675's (see above)?
Are the modfied 727 units still going strong? No side effects till now?

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #15,349 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. It works much like a K1000 works. As you swivel them too and from your head you can play with the headstage and overall sound. I'd be curious to have some sort of permanent setup that would allow me to actualy wear them and listen for an extended time to really judge them.

I've got a spare set of Lambda drivers...maybe I should put them to good use
lambda.gif
+
k1000smile.gif
=
tongue.gif

Tried same with Lambda Nova Basics - detached from headband and held carefully to avoid occluding backwards 'exhaust' from them. Tried all sorts of angles and volumes but must say I could not convince myself of any real out of head imaging improvement
confused.gif

I agree!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #15,350 of 24,807
Hello to all,

I'm fairly new to this forum and untill now I have read a lot of posts to get a bit acquainted.

For normal bias phones, I use a SRM-1/Mk2 which I would like to upgrade (actualy a P.P., but I fitted 1 normal bias socket). I have read about swapping out the power transistors for 2SC5466 units, currently used in Stax amps. However, in a SRM-323 thread I read that 2SC3675 transistors are to be preferred over the 2sc5466 units. Why is that and which transistors are best for the SRM-1/Mk2 (p.p.)?

For pro bias phones, I use a SRM-727II on which I want to perform the "spritzer mod". What resistors are to be used? metal film, carbon film, others? Are 1/2 Watt resistors "big" enough?
Does it make sense to swap the 2SC5466's in this amp with 2SC3675's (see above)?
Are the modfied 727 units still going strong? No side effects till now?

For 1/mk2, I talked to spritzer and kevin at some point when fixing my one, and here's what I have in the pms:

spritzer said:
 The green ones (2SA1156) are easy to find....
The c3148's are the output transistors. 2SC3675 will work as a replacement, same goes for the 2SC5466, 2SC3676 and a lot of other options, including those Fairchild parts used in the Exstata.

kevin.gilmore said:
The A1156 is definitely replaceable, but the A1486 is a better part for that.

Not sure about 'better' or 'preferred' but it at least sounds suitable.
There was also some discussion about not necessarily being able to re-bias the amp after putting in the new transistors, so I'd confirm it with them just in case.

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #15,351 of 24,807
Ah... put on my SR202s after a few days of testing and trying some other headphones, mainly the recently-useable SR-X and some dynamics like the DT770/80, Sony F1, and comparing to the K501. The SR202s sound like the gates of heaven opening, they sound so glorious. I know there are higher-end Stax but man, I just can't imagine it getting any better than this. I got my ESI Juli@ in as a DAC (an improvement over the hot-rodded X-Fi XtremeMusic I ran it with the first time I got the SR202s in) and it sounds fantastic. I don't think I ever could have found the "perfect" $400 dynamic, so I'm glad I got a chance to jump into the electrostatic arena. I'm working hard on converting my friends into Staxheads, I already got one to pick up a Lambda Pro/SRM-1
ph34r.gif

I do have to say though, the "Stax fart" is super annoying. It basically means I can't turn my head too far or even move my head much. The left channel is especially annoying, as it tends to fart whenever I move my head too quickly or jiggle it too much. Anyone have some tips on how to reduce this? Is this the mylar diaphragm "farting" or is it some kind of plastic protector? I'm not quite up to speed on the anatomy of a lambda driver yet.

Apr 10, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #15,353 of 24,807
>I do have to say though, the "Stax fart" is super annoying. It basically means I can't turn my head too far or even move my head much. The left channel is especially annoying, as it tends to fart whenever I move my head too quickly or jiggle it too much. Anyone have some tips on how to reduce this? Is this the mylar diaphragm "farting" or is it some kind of plastic protector? I'm not quite up to speed on the anatomy of a lambda driver yet.

don't eat while using them or don't move your head :D... was a problem with SR-404 and 202 for me, not a problem with 507. (it's not completely gone, but you can at least chew on something, when using them :D ). Don't think you can do anything to reduce it.

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #15,356 of 24,807

Quote:
I'm interested to know if people have an idea of how advanced the new lamda drivers are compared to the O2. Is there a possibility the 507 is actually "higher tech" than the O2?

Sound sigs aside, anyone got objective info?

I figure Spritzer might have some info as he took the 507 apart on the other headphone site.

Not higher tech in my book as the drivers are pretty much the same as we've seen since 1994.  The holder is new and it is an improvement but nothing revolutionary.  Many of us have been talking about doing the same thing for years...

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #15,357 of 24,807

Good to hear that all the new lambdas use the driver holder that Spritzer revealed in the 507 on that thread in the other forum.

Now... As I have understood it (and correct me if I am wrong) but in the old line the 202 had a lower driver but the 303 and 404 have the same driver (with different cable). 

It also seems to be established that the 507 is basically the 407 with leather pads and new headband arc and again a different cable. 

I personally know from swapping the 303 stock pads for 507 pads how much of that unique 507 sound is down to those pads.

So does this follow that the SR307 with leather pads is basically a much cheaper 507?

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #15,358 of 24,807
Quote:
Ah... put on my SR202s after a few days of testing and trying some other headphones, mainly the recently-useable SR-X and some dynamics like the DT770/80, Sony F1, and comparing to the K501. The SR202s sound like the gates of heaven opening, they sound so glorious. I know there are higher-end Stax but man, I just can't imagine it getting any better than this. I got my ESI Juli@ in as a DAC (an improvement over the hot-rodded X-Fi XtremeMusic I ran it with the first time I got the SR202s in) and it sounds fantastic. I don't think I ever could have found the "perfect" $400 dynamic, so I'm glad I got a chance to jump into the electrostatic arena. I'm working hard on converting my friends into Staxheads, I already got one to pick up a Lambda Pro/SRM-1
ph34r.gif

I do have to say though, the "Stax fart" is super annoying. It basically means I can't turn my head too far or even move my head much. The left channel is especially annoying, as it tends to fart whenever I move my head too quickly or jiggle it too much. Anyone have some tips on how to reduce this? Is this the mylar diaphragm "farting" or is it some kind of plastic protector? I'm not quite up to speed on the anatomy of a lambda driver yet.

Haha, that is too funny. I recently nabbed a STAX 3030 setup (then sold almost all my dynamics) and have the same "farting"
tongue.gif
issue that you and others are having. It is only on my left side and acts up anytime I move my jaw or head. I try not to when listening to the STAX, but it still gets annoying from time to time on the quieter pieces. Nice gates of heaven opening bit there, btw. I agree.

Quote:

Good to hear that all the new lambdas use the driver holder that Spritzer revealed in the 507 on that thread in the other forum.

Now... As I have understood it (and correct me if I am wrong) but in the old line the 202 had a lower driver but the 303 and 404 have the same driver (with different cable). 

It also seems to be established that the 507 is basically the 407 with leather pads and new headband arc and again a different cable. 

I personally know from swapping the 303 stock pads for 507 pads how much of that unique 507 sound is down to those pads.

So does this follow that the SR307 with leather pads is basically a much cheaper 507?

What kind of change do you hear when going from the stock 303 pads to the 507? I am curious of this!

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #15,359 of 24,807
I wrote some early impressions in this thread here. I haven't changed my mind on them - in summary - the sound of the 507 is a faster, more vibrant and seemingly more detailed one. It also, to my ear, has greater impact. Putting leather pads on a 303 doesn't make them a 507, but it moves them in that direction - places them in that "family" of sound. Presumably the lacking 10% my leathered 303 miss from the 507 would be furnished by the move from 303 to 307. I hope so anyway as the 507 remain my favourite phones listened to so far.

I was comparing the leathers in that post to the old style pads with inbuilt foam screens. As DonQ was desperate for these and I was sticking with the leathers, I swapped them with him for his newer style pleathers with lower profile and cloth screen - these sound worse still than the old foam pleathers IMO.

As karma would have it, I was given a pair of old style foam screen pads a few weeks later as a gift - so have that option to return to as well should I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back