The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #14,956 of 24,807
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely give that a try. Embarassing question this, but how do you safely open up O2?
redface.gif
I did a couple of quick searches, but failed to find any instructions, somehow.

Quote:
I think i also have this problem, albeit very sligthly, with the right channel. It's more noticeable with the KGSS than the SRM-717. I guess it woudn't hurt to open them up and go over the cable conections with some contact cleaner.

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #14,957 of 24,807
Hi

Have a set of lamda basics that I wish to use with SRD7. The later has standard bias and think I would like to upgrade bias supply to pro (525V?) but do not know how. Options are modify the existing supply, use the supply part from 202 amplifier, or make a new bias supply. The later option is prefered and having seen that Audio Consulting are using battery supply for their stax amp would think this might be the easiest option. Any advice?

Regards

Grant

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #14,958 of 24,807
Send a PM to Spritzer to see if he has any of his Pro bias boards left for SRD-6 or SRD-7. I bought one - it was cheap, not nasty and works exceptionally well.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #14,959 of 24,807
Anyone have experiences with the new SRM-323S? It seems to have pretty good output voltage, is affordable, is solid state (no tube issues so safer to import) and on paper seems to be a good match for the new Lambda SR-507.

Any opinions on this pairing? The only STAX experience I have is that I´ve heard a 404/SR-006 combo once and loved it.

PS: I tried to google this, but without success... Has there ever been a SRM-323M? PriceJapan has that in their list. I assume it´s a typo, meaning the SRM-323S?

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #14,961 of 24,807

Quote:
Hi

Have a set of lamda basics that I wish to use with SRD7. The later has standard bias and think I would like to upgrade bias supply to pro (525V?) but do not know how. Options are modify the existing supply, use the supply part from 202 amplifier, or make a new bias supply. The later option is prefered and having seen that Audio Consulting are using battery supply for their stax amp would think this might be the easiest option. Any advice?

Regards

Grant

Are those normal or pro bias phones?  PM me if you want to buy either a Stax SRD-7 Pro (with 2 pro) or an SRD-7 Mk2 (with pro and normal).  These are stock and unmodded with Pro bias.

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #14,963 of 24,807
Is it just me, but does anyone think Staxes are just plain uncomfortable?
I had both Lambda Nova Signatures and the Omega 2s and
thought they felt like they clipped the edges of my ears and pressed them against my head, and the cushioning was terrible (like there was a hard object pressing right behind the leather).
In contrast, I find Senn  HD800s, Beyer T1s,  Grado PS1000s, and even the heavy Audeze LCD2s very comfortable, even for long sessions.

I like the Stax sound, but why it is so hard for them to make them feel good? I see that Driftwood above also thinks they are uncomfortable. I thought I was the only one.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts here.

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #14,964 of 24,807

Quote:
Is it just me, but does anyone think Staxes are just plain uncomfortable?
I had both Lambda Nova Signatures and the Omega 2s and
thought they felt like they clipped the edges of my ears and pressed them against my head, and the cushioning was terrible (like there was a hard object pressing right behind the leather).
In contrast, I find Senn  HD800s, Beyer T1s,  Grado PS1000s, and even the heavy Audeze LCD2s very comfortable, even for long sessions.

I like the Stax sound, but why it is so hard for them to make them feel good? I see that Driftwood above also thinks they are uncomfortable. I thought I was the only one.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts here.

The Omega 2s are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn, certainly much better than any Beyer, Denon, or Sennheiser I've had on my head. I can't stand wearing Grados. My Sony 7509s are fairly comfortable due to their lightweight and limited clamping, but the materials quality is pretty lousy. The Omega2s feel as expensive as they are.

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #14,965 of 24,807
I have the Lambda Basic SR-202.
They have to be the fugliest things I have ever put on my head
but are the most comfortable for me. I forget that I am wearing them.
I have yet to try / own the O2's. Someday...

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #14,967 of 24,807
The SR-003 bothered me a little, I don't like things sitting inside my ear.  The SR-007 was not my favorite because the ear pads don't breath well, If I lived in Iceland I'd have to reconsider them though.  Lambdas and Sigmas with pads that are still fluffy I find quite fairly comfortable.  The HE60 is my favorite as it has cloth on the ear pads where it touches skin.

For the most part STAX quality in sound makes up for what they lack in comfort.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #14,968 of 24,807

Quote:
The Omega 2s are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn, certainly much better than any Beyer, Denon, or Sennheiser I've had on my head. I can't stand wearing Grados. My Sony 7509s are fairly comfortable due to their lightweight and limited clamping, but the materials quality is pretty lousy. The Omega2s feel as expensive as they are.

Ditto the Omega 2. I also liked the fit & feel of the 404LEs I tried at CanJam.  My vintage Stax phones are also comfortable for me. Perhaps the arcs need to be adjusted, but no one headphone can fit every head.

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #14,969 of 24,807
I'm considering getting a stax earspeaker system and i noticed that they have recently launched an update in November 2010. The old 3030 classic (SRS 303 + SRM 313) and the 4040 signature (SRS 404 and SRM 006t) (as compared here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/stax/stax.html) are now being replaced by the 3170 (SR-307 + SRM-323S) and 4170 (SR-407 + SRM-006tS). Confusingly, I have also found another two systems, the SRS 3050A (SRS 303 + SRM 323A) http://www.stax.co.jp/Japan/srs3050a.html and SRS 4040A (SR-404 + SRM-006tA)(http://www.stax.co.jp/Japan/srs4040a.html). Can anyone tell me the difference between these headphones and amps because I could not find relevant information despite extensive search on the forum and the net. What's different between the SR 303 and SR 307/ 404 and 407, and the differences between the amps? Also, where does the SRS 3010 stands between these models? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks again!

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #14,970 of 24,807

Quote:
The SR-003 bothered me a little, I don't like things sitting inside my ear.  The SR-007 was not my favorite because the ear pads don't breath well, If I lived in Iceland I'd have to reconsider them though.  Lambdas and Sigmas with pads that are still fluffy I find quite fairly comfortable.  The HE60 is my favorite as it has cloth on the ear pads where it touches skin.

For the most part STAX quality in sound makes up for what they lack in comfort.

Ditto - HE60 are the most comfortable I've owned not just because of the pads but also because they are so lightweight.  Nevertheless, I find the O2 mk1 more comfortable than my Lambdas because of the leather pads breathing more than vinyl pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back