The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #14,671 of 24,807

Quote:
The Stax transformers, namely SRD6/SRD7/SRDP.  Amps I've heard were a cheap Chinese speaker amp, a Bedini 25/25, an AudioNote amp (can't remember the model), and the Bottlehead Crack.  There is a lack of detail and exagerrated dynamics (almost a boominess) that is portrayed regardless of the power amp driving the transformer...might as well go for dynamic HPs in that case. :)

Yeah those are hardly the pinnacle of transformers. Several people who have had the WEE in their systems or heard it have reported that its performance really scales with the quality of the amp behind it. Obviously it would be silly to drop $5,000 on a Pass XA30.5 to drive a transformer - just buy a BHSE. A $1,000 Aleph 30 though could be a viable KGSS alternative. That's what I aim to find out.

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #14,672 of 24,807
I've been following the WEE threads and it seems most of the early adopters don't have much experience with stats and different Stax gear so I skip their posts.  spritzer (who probably has the most experience in this area of anybody on the forums) has built transformer boxes with some high quality transformers and IIRC said that they are still the bottleneck and didn't like them as much as his dedicated amps.  I personally listen to people with more experience, not to mention WEE owners are still in the new toy syndrome phase (not a knock on the WEE, this applies to all gear).  Has Woo said what transformers are being used in the WEE?

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #14,673 of 24,807
The transformers aren't going to give you the kind of bass control and detail that you will get even with a 717 much less something better. But on the other hand, they will give you more flexibility when it comes to voicing the system - you can use any speaker amp you want. Since the BH and to a lesser extent the 717 are basically a straight wire with gain soundwise, if you want a euphonic sound with the O2, a transformer-box rig with a euphonic-sounding amp is the way to go. Also if your source isn't particularly high end, a transformer-based rig with a euphonic amp will probably filter out grain and in general make things a bit more palatable. But then again if your source isn't particularly high end, then you probably shouldn't bother with the O2.

I finally got the BH to work more or less right and man, with the O2 it's downright ridiculous. So much clarity, the bass is finally what it should be, and its ability to make sub-bass information audible (and palpable) is downright spooky. I also love how it gives each recording and each instrument on the recording a tone of its own. Some vocals will be warm, some cold, and it's kinda scary how much the overall character changes from one recording to the next. And on top of that, there's also the uniquely O2-like ability to be absolutely ruthlessly revealing but never fatiguing at the same time. You hear sibilance but it doesn't bother you. You hear every recording problem but can still enjoy the recording. And of course, the O2/BH is probably the only rig I've heard thus far that actually images properly.

Awesomeness.

Will still try another source though. With the Opus 21 it's more of a plain, "just the facts ma'am" kind of presentation. I think I want something with a bit more warmth and body in the mids.

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #14,674 of 24,807

Quote:

Quote:
The Stax transformers, namely SRD6/SRD7/SRDP.  Amps I've heard were a cheap Chinese speaker amp, a Bedini 25/25, an AudioNote amp (can't remember the model), and the Bottlehead Crack.  There is a lack of detail and exagerrated dynamics (almost a boominess) that is portrayed regardless of the power amp driving the transformer...might as well go for dynamic HPs in that case. :)

Yeah those are hardly the pinnacle of transformers. Several people who have had the WEE in their systems or heard it have reported that its performance really scales with the quality of the amp behind it. Obviously it would be silly to drop $5,000 on a Pass XA30.5 to drive a transformer - just buy a BHSE. A $1,000 Aleph 30 though could be a viable KGSS alternative. That's what I aim to find out.

n3rdling, I had the same experience with a low-power tube amp, gotta love that tube distortion. 

I've had good results from the Aleph J, I would guess the Aleph 3 or Aleph 30 would work well too.  I would love to compare them to the more recent Fist Watt offerings such as the F5 and J2.

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #14,675 of 24,807
I have tried the SR-207 phones and, while I liked the sound, I find them to be uncomfortable for listening over an hour. Despite multiple adjustments they feel tight on my ears. The HD800 is much more comfortable for me. I am wondering if the shape of the 007 would be a better fit. Can anyone give me feedback about the relative comfort of the HD800 vs 007? Does the round shape of the 007 fit around or on your ears? Best guess, would the 007 be worth exploring?

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #14,676 of 24,807

Quote:
I have tried the SR-207 phones and, while I liked the sound, I find them to be uncomfortable for listening over an hour. Despite multiple adjustments they feel tight on my ears. The HD800 is much more comfortable for me. I am wondering if the shape of the 007 would be a better fit. Can anyone give me feedback about the relative comfort of the HD800 vs 007? Does the round shape of the 007 fit around or on your ears? Best guess, would the 007 be worth exploring?

The O2s are the most comfortable headphones I've worn. If your head is on the large side, you may need to bend the arcs a bit, but then they should be fine. The pads are really soft, and are in a rotating "D" shape that fits around your ears. If your amp and source are up to it, they are worth exploring simply by how good they are (much better than the HD800).

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #14,677 of 24,807
The SR-007 sure is worth exploring. The pads fit around the ears, and the area of the pads that touches your head is quite large, so the pressure is evenly distributed. I find them very comfortable. The HD-800 is also pretty comfortable, though the area of the pads that's against your head feels a bit thinner and therefore the pressure feels a bit higher. Still, the entire shape of the headband and pads of the HD-800 is very ergonomically designed I think. For me, both headphones are on par when it comes to comfort and I could wear both of them for hours.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #14,678 of 24,807
The SR-007 are heavy, don't clamp as much as I would like, and have big smothering earpads that can rotate.  You may love them, I personally consider them a mixed bag as far is comfort and design goes.  I think the Senn 'stats are much lighter and better designed to stay on my head.  The cloth earpads of my HE60 breathe better than the leather or pleather on any of the STAX.  The JVC DX1000 wins the big fluffy marshmallows around the ears contest.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #14,679 of 24,807
What bright spark moved the thread?  Most of the high end forum is Stax discussion so moving the main thread makes sense to somebody? 

As for the question of transformers, even when money is no object and fed by true high end amps they don't come close to the dedicated units.  Simple matter of physics and how the amps are designed.  I was far from impressed by the WEE prototype at CJ but they were using that awful WA5 to drive it so that is a factor.  Still the Lundahl's I had with me were clearly superior in a direct comparison even off that nasty little amp.  That was with the small Lundahls and not something like these:

About 9kg worth of Stax transformer goodness.  The WEE is clearly far, far, far from the end of the line...
cool.gif

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #14,680 of 24,807

Quote:
What bright spark moved the thread?  Most of the high end forum is Stax discussion so moving the main thread makes sense to somebody? 

As for the question of transformers, even when money is no object and fed by true high end amps they don't come close to the dedicated units.  Simple matter of physics and how the amps are designed.  I was far from impressed by the WEE prototype at CJ but they were using that awful WA5 to drive it so that is a factor.  Still the Lundahl's I had with me were clearly superior in a direct comparison even off that nasty little amp.  That was with the small Lundahls and not something like these:

About 9kg worth of Stax transformer goodness.  The WEE is clearly far, far, far from the end of the line...
cool.gif

This thread is also as often about amplifiers (ie right now) as it is about full size headphones, so yeah I don't get it either. Speaking of amps, how is the KGSS-HV coming along? I haven't really seen anything about it around here for quite some time. I would expect it to out do the transformers, but it has to actually exist first
popcorn.gif

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #14,681 of 24,807
The HV prototype boards are being built and tested.  It's all slowly coming together but both KG and I have just not had time for any of this stuff lately.  I hope this will change in the new year so we'll see at least a prototype run of the advanced Exstata plus other projects.  

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #14,683 of 24,807

Quote:

cool.gif

My son's WEE actually sounds pretty good with my ZDT amp and O2 Mk1, and much better than the prototype WEE that I borrowed for the Colorado summer meet.  I prefer my WES, but I could live with the ZDT > WEE if I had to.  In comparison my Stax SRD-7 Mk2 and SRD-7 Pro are both inferior, with the WEE being clearly more detailed, transparent, and efficient.

Dec 24, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #14,684 of 24,807
I take it you compared the two WEE's side by side?  Simply changing the loading on the transformer primaries can change the sound like that and that's why I don't use any loading at all.  Also running them from a transformer coupled amp is not a good idea IMO.  Why on earth would you have one set of transformers step down the voltage just to have another pair step it up again?  Then there is the issue of 1%+ THD...

The SRD-7's were never designed for anything like the load presented by the Omegas.  In fact they were all OOP when the first Omega came about but that doesn't mean they can't be used.  Completely rewiring them is a necessity and I for one would scrap the old bias supplies.  They were designed prior to the Omega so they aren't really compatible.  You can even go nuts like I did and partially disassemble the transformers like the one above. 

Quote:
Advanced Exstata? 

The circuit done right so THD at 0.01% and not at 1-2% or even higher as is the case with the current design.  It pretty much mirrors the improvements Stax have made to the same basic circuit with the SRM-323 but with higher rail voltages, better parts, more power etc.  The PCB design has been ready for months now...

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #14,685 of 24,807
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back