The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #14,521 of 24,807

Quote:
It's a matter of gain but there is always the issue of overloading the T-amp input.  

True.

I guess I'll use the NAD for a while to make sure everything works fine at the volume I want using the T-Amp.  If it works out I'll find a simple preamp circuit somewhere I can piece together and call it a day.

They also seem to have gotten a bit louder as I left them for about an hour with the biasing on.

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #14,522 of 24,807

Quote:

They also seem to have gotten a bit louder as I left them for about an hour with the biasing on.

Hi Shike,

From an earlier thread you mentioned that you did a mod with 1 micron Mylar on your headphones.  If the sound gets louder after you leave the biasing voltage on for an hour, I think that your coating on the diaphragm could be too high in resistivity.  What material do you use for coating?

Wachara C.

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #14,523 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:

Hi Shike,

From an earlier thread you mentioned that you did a mod with 1 micron Mylar on your headphones.  If the sound gets louder after you leave the biasing voltage on for an hour, I think that your coating on the diaphragm could be too high in resistivity.  What material do you use for coating?

Wachara C.

I used Elvamide.  What would you suggest in comparison?

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #14,524 of 24,807
Hi Shike,

I have tried graphite powder, PVA glue + water + black ink, and liquid soap.  They all worked fine, but were not as good as an antistatic solution.  Now I like to use Staticide 6300.  It seems to be very stable.  I do not have any problem with having to charge my headphones a whole hour before listening. :)

Wachara C.

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #14,525 of 24,807

Quote:
Very nice. I like the red bug. Clean.

My headband, well the cheap plastic hangers, broke beyond repair on my novas. Stax wants $130 for a replacement headband?? That is about what I paid for the headspeakers lol. So I am sporting a sweatband complete with Stax. Works great btw. Need to get my wife to take a picture.

What all broke the hanger yokes, the arc, or the headstrap? 

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #14,526 of 24,807
I have been getting the left channel cutting out and or becomes unstable as if the connection is bad, and I can't figure out what's wrong. It comes without warning, and seems to go away without explanation either. Usually if I move the headphone a bit (or tap on the left housing), or twiddle the volume knob on the 717, it seems to make the problem go away, but I can't be totally sure that my action are directed related to restoring the left channel. Sometimes it just goes away by itself, and it also appears without warning, even though I haven't moved at all.

My 007mk2 is brand new, and I have never abused it--it just hangs on a stand with a cloth cover over it when not in use. The 717 amp is also pristine as far as I know. Anyone can tell me what's going on?

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #14,528 of 24,807
Quote:
Only one real possibility, bad connection in the cable.  The amp has a servo-linked protection circuit but that should cut out both channels. 

How could I know for sure? Is there something I could do to troubleshoot it? Sometimes tapping the housing or jiggling the cable doesn't restore the signal, nor does twiddling the volume knob. It seems to come and go as it pleases.

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #14,530 of 24,807

Quote:
I also just noticed that turning off and on the amp seems to fix it, as does plugging the cable into the other output of the amp (I was using the one the right, and I just swapped to the left one). Could it be the amp?

Possibly the connectors in the socket need cleaning or there is a bad solder joint on the back of the socket.

One remote possibility is that the amp is overheating due to an accumulation of dust inside.  Because the 717 is open it may need periodic cleaning.  But this would probably shut down both channels.

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #14,531 of 24,807
The only possible fault with the amp outside of a loose solder joint would be the offset/balance being off which will turn off the output relay, killing both channels.  Both outputs sockets are parallel connected, ditto on the bias wire.  If one works then the other one should as well unless there is a cold joint on one of the connectors. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #14,532 of 24,807
It's a long shot, but try moving the xlr to rca switch back and forth a few times (when the amp is unpowered). There were problems with my Stax Monitor that this (and Deoxit) solved. Also, the other switch under the cover (for volume control/no volume control) may need some playing with.

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #14,534 of 24,807

Quote:
I have been getting the left channel cutting out and or becomes unstable as if the connection is bad, and I can't figure out what's wrong. It comes without warning, and seems to go away without explanation either. Usually if I move the headphone a bit (or tap on the left housing), or twiddle the volume knob on the 717, it seems to make the problem go away, but I can't be totally sure that my action are directed related to restoring the left channel. Sometimes it just goes away by itself, and it also appears without warning, even though I haven't moved at all.

My 007mk2 is brand new, and I have never abused it--it just hangs on a stand with a cloth cover over it when not in use. The 717 amp is also pristine as far as I know. Anyone can tell me what's going on?

I dont mean to pour salt on one's wounds, but I remember you posting that it was a demo unit.
Realistically it could have seen a lot of use or abuse at the hands of others.
I know nothing about your amp, but the symptoms you describe have all the hallmarks of a bad connection.
Possibly in the headphone cable or soldered connections behind the one jack?

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #14,535 of 24,807
I had a problem on 1 of my SRM/1 Mrk/2 inside the amp the blue wire to the rca jack was not connected. The amp worked great for me for a long time then the channel went out. Probably not common because it was not cold solder
and all the other soldering looks great. It was just like they never used any solder on that 1 connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back