The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #13,726 of 24,807

Quote:
what about the T1S as compared to T1? are they any major differences in sound quality besides the balanced input?

I have heard that they are basically the same amp other than balanced input.

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #13,728 of 24,807
I'm embarrassed to say I still have yet to find a power adapter for my srm252. :/

The only people I've seen have the same problem as me are Europeans who just get a 100-120v transformer.

Is our 120v electricity really enough to damage the amp when the power adapter is supposed to draw 100v?

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #13,729 of 24,807
Since the the internet is really awash with cheap power supplies that fit your basic specs (120V AC to 12V DC, 500mA), I presume you are looking for a high performance linear power supply. You might consider commission somebody to build you a TREAD or some other DIY designs.

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #13,730 of 24,807
I don't think I'm looking for anything special, just for a decent adapter for my amp because mine won't work in America. I've found a couple adapters that are center-negative and seem like they would do the job, but I'm not totally sure. Also, it seems very difficult to find a linear power supply that's center-negative for a reasonable price. Are they all extremely expensive, or am I just looking in the wrong places? I just want something that'll work for my amp and work safely.

Would this do the job?
http://www.officebeyond.com/da12010an.html
Does to 10VA on the Stax adapter matter at all? This one doesn't seem to list anything.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #13,731 of 24,807

Quote:
I don't think I'm looking for anything special, just for a decent adapter for my amp because mine won't work in America. I've found a couple adapters that are center-negative and seem like they would do the job, but I'm not totally sure. Also, it seems very difficult to find a linear power supply that's center-negative for a reasonable price. Are they all extremely expensive, or am I just looking in the wrong places? I just want something that'll work for my amp and work safely.

Would this do the job?
Does to 10VA on the Stax adapter matter at all? This one doesn't seem to list anything.

It should work just fine. I could not find any reference to 10VA on the web page. The maximum current output rating doesn't have to be exactly 500mA. It just have to be higher than that.

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #13,732 of 24,807

Quote:
There is no updated schematic for the BH.  One of these days.
Maybe after i finally finish the electrostatic portable.

The old power supply definitely works great.
But these days i would use the kgsshv supply with 2 resistors
changed to lower the voltage to +/-400. You could probably push
it to +/-425 but the limiting factor is the 900 volt current source.

The one power supply runs both channels.

Hi Kevin!
Any chance for an updated DIY BH ?
Thanks!
--j

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #13,734 of 24,807
Great, thanks a lot. I guess I was just put under the impression I needed a linear supply or my amp wouldn't work right. Maybe now I can actually hear the darn thing. >_>

Quote:

It should work just fine. I could not find any reference to 10VA on the web page. The maximum current output rating doesn't have to be exactly 500mA. It just have to be higher than that.

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #13,736 of 24,807
Somebody with more knowledge can probably fill you in better than me, but I believe Kerry took the original BH design and made boards that improved the heat dissipation of the originals.  I don't think these are for sale though.

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #13,737 of 24,807
Quote:
Great, thanks a lot. I guess I was just put under the impression I needed a linear supply or my amp wouldn't work right. Maybe now I can actually hear the darn thing. >_>

Wouldn't it have been easier to get a transformer and use the stock adapter? At least that's what I'm going to use, since you can't find a single center negative adapter here in Germany.

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #13,738 of 24,807

Quote:

Would this do the job?

If you really want to know, 10 VA is a power rating which basically means 10 Watt(P=VA). Conversely, a 10 Watt power draw at 12V DC equals 830 mA current output. By the way I don't see 10VA mentioned on Stax webpage.

Strangely, the SRM-252 is labeled as 4 Watt 12V DC, which means a current draw of 300 mA. If the stock adaptor is rated at 12V DC and 500 mA, it's probably for the sake of allowing some power overhead.

I am no electrical expert so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back