The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #13,487 of 24,807

Quote:
I would suggest something like a Lambda Signature and SRM1Mk2 amp.  Prices have been low of late and you might get one for about $600.  One of the reasons I feel that some older Lambdas sound good is that the foam behind the drivers has deteriorated to the point that it is barely there at all.  I found this out with a Signature I bought.  When I replaced the foam it sounded like crap s I took the new foam out and sold it to someone who needed to replace the front foam.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/443060/is-the-stax-lambda-signature-supposed-to-be-damped-on-second-thought-ditch-the-foam-backing-on-all-the-lambdas

I have since removed the back foam from my 404 and find it a much nicer phone that way.  Even before this I still found it better than some other Lambdas.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/430113/stax-lambdas-404-vs-signature-vs-nova-classic

I have seen a number of pretty superficial observations about the differences between various Lambdas, where people have had only cursory listening experience to some phones.  I had hoped that there would be more full comparisons between the dozen or so Lambda models out there but this is not happening much.  I guess most people don't have more than one Lambda.  

Thanks for sharing your insight. i have a question about stax amps. Different amps have different maximum output voltage. Fro example, SRM-1 MK2 is 370V and SRM-T1 is 300V. Is higher always better?

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #13,488 of 24,807

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your insight. i have a question about stax amps. Different amps have different maximum output voltage. Fro example, SRM-1 MK2 is 370V and SRM-T1 is 300V. Is higher always better?

All other things being equal, yes.  It should give more dynamics and detail.

The Lambda needs this somewhat less than a Sigma or an 007 though.

The Lambda is a very interesting design and I sure hope that some day Stax comes up with a new driver for them somewhat like the 007.

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #13,489 of 24,807
Quote:
By the way, Does anybody know about the SR-404 MK2? According to Headfonia, it's the upcoming stax headphone based on the 404 LE.

That's what a German dealer told me too. According to him, the SR-404 Mk2 sounds indistinguishable from the SR-404LE. He offered it to me when I was trying to buy one of the last SR-404LEs. Unfortunately, those were all sold out, and that's why he offered me the SR-404 Mk2 instead. I didn't buy it, because I had an opportunity to buy a SR-007BL, which is what I went for.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #13,490 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:
By the way, Does anybody know about the SR-404 MK2? According to Headfonia, it's the upcoming stax headphone based on the 404 LE.

That's what a German dealer told me too. According to him, the SR-404 Mk2 sounds indistinguishable from the SR-404LE. He offered it to me when I was trying to buy one of the last SR-404LEs. Unfortunately, those were all sold out, and that's why he offered me the SR-404 Mk2 instead. I didn't buy it, because I had an opportunity to buy a SR-007BL, which is what I went for.

What did the mark2 look like?  Did it use the LE cable and earpads?

Why doesn't Stax show it on its website?

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #13,492 of 24,807
Quote:
Yeah, Stax is usually excellent about updating its website.

At least they updated the website to indicate production of the SR-001mk2 has finished.

Quote:
edstrelow said:

I have seen a number of pretty superficial observations about the differences between various Lambdas, where people have had only cursory listening experience to some phones.  I had hoped that there would be more full comparisons between the dozen or so Lambda models out there but this is not happening much.  I guess most people don't have more than one Lambda.  

I've had a detailed listen/own about half a dozen lambdas in total but I dont really write reviews. I'm also interested in how the rest of the lambdas sound. Maybe we should ask Spritzer - I have the impression he's owned hundreds of lambdas before.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #13,493 of 24,807
The SR-404 Mk.2 was said to look exactly like the normal SR-404.

Yes, I have wondered too why Stax has not updated their site. The were also quick to update it when production of the SR-404LE was finished. The dealer told me about the SR-404 Mk.2 in March. Could it be... BS?

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #13,495 of 24,807
Hi everyone !

I would like to know if there is any kind of wiki page for STAX novice? 

What should one know before buying STAX headphones and amp ?

P.S.
It would take me a while to scroll down all 900 pages of this thread, so I am being a little bit lazy 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #13,496 of 24,807
This should keep you busy for a while: http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki//index.php?title=Stax_Earspeakers_Overview

The do some targeted searches in this thread.  Ask questions after that.  Enjoy.

EDIT: And I think the most important thing to know before buying Stax phones and a 'stat amp is your budget.

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #13,497 of 24,807
Thank you very much Mr. Monkey 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
This should keep you busy for a while: http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki//index.php?title=Stax_Earspeakers_Overview

The do some targeted searches in this thread.  Ask questions after that.  Enjoy.

EDIT: And I think the most important thing to know before buying Stax phones and a 'stat amp is your budget.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #13,499 of 24,807
Better start will full electrostats, like a Gamma for instance. Electrets are not bad, just not as good and they work differently so they might loose charge over time (resulting in permament imbalance).

If you prefer something newer (safer bet but cost more), you might try a SRS-2050II set (an amplifier or adapter+speaker amp is needed to drive the phones).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back