The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #13,112 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about your power conditioner specifically but my limited experience of such things is that as well as "conditioning" they can also limit the power. Even a couple of volts or milliamps or whatever is reduced could be evident with a power amp, less so with components that don't need much power. I am wary even about ferrite clamps around power cables.

Trying to use my SRM-727II with voltage transformer (it was made for 117V originally) I've noticed that the lack of power causes loss of control - boomy and dominant bass, insufficient highs, muddy and unfocused sound, the opposite effect of what I hear now (so I had to change the internal power supply for 240V).

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #13,113 of 24,807
is there any ways of modding the power supply of SRM-t1s? any helps on the guides would be much appreciated.

smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:
just found out some guides on this page:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/s.../index692.html

could this method apply in SRM-t1S as well?

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #13,114 of 24,807
changing voltage should be fairly easy. there are a few different systems so if you provide a picture of the inside of the amp you can get a useful answer.

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #13,118 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Yes, as far as I know one of the two signal pins of the XLR input is connected to the signal parts of the RCA inputs/loop outputs. That's also the reason why you can't hook up two active sources to the amp at the same time. It could be that you get an inverted signal on the RCA loop out but that's not really a problem. (Depends on the XLR pin configuration.)

2. When the volume control is off, it's bypassed, so there is no attenuation. According to the Stax site gain would thus be 54dB.

Cool!

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #13,119 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by DyBre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have got to ask him to check the inner part of the amp.

if there isnt, could your method as shown in page 390 be applied in the amp?

thanks for helping me out mate.
smily_headphones1.gif

Almost all of the amps can be rewired manually so yes.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #13,121 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyramid6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the other Stax amps be easily be rewired or have a switch? Like the SRM-006tA?

Yes, didnt you see the post above yours?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost all of the amps can be rewired manually so yes.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #13,122 of 24,807
What are the amp possibilities for the sr-303 headphones? I don't want tube amps.
Are there any "cheap" class d amps for the stax? The 323ii is too expensive, and i'm afraid the quality wouldn't be high enough.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #13,124 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyramid6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the other Stax amps be easily be rewired or have a switch? Like the SRM-006tA?

The newer amps can be tricky as Stax often cut the 117V windings which means they can not be changed from 100V without some very creative soldering and some luck.

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #13,125 of 24,807
I just got Lambda Signatures but somewhat damaged. The grill was poked in on one spot. The dust cover membrane has a dent and will wave in that area. Does anyone have experience with electrostatics to know what damage is bad and what is really bad for the sound. It was poked in pretty good but I don't think it reached the stator if it dented that would sound be unlistenable? I am going to go find something like a leather cleaner to clean the pads. The sound can change a whole lot just from head position with these headphones. If there is a hole is the dust cover should it be easy to notice listening to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back