The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #12,661 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks XXII for pointing me to local store - picked up a new 404LE today!
biggrin.gif
Waiting on a SRD7Pro to arrive, to hook up to my amps at hand. This will be my first foray into 'stats. btw, the store was down to 2 - the last pair had serial number of 0666
eek.gif
eek.gif
- no way I was going to touch that last pair, although tempted to buy both! now if I could only source an exstata...(I know it's DIY and quite limited, but in remote chance anyone knows of any leads...)

404.jpg

Congrats on these -- still hunting for a pair since these are now very difficult to source in Canada but had a chance to hear these extensively last weekend and loved 'em. They were being driven from an older Stax amp and while I didn't get a sense of great bass impact they were very quick and articulate across the FR and had soundstaging in spades and a relaxed but detailed presentation I've never heard from a dynamic phone.

I'm a Stax newbie but didn't find these to be honky or plasticky-sounding in any of the music we tried; though on very dynamic passages they have the same sense of a dynamic stretching rather than explosiveness as do my Martin-Logans, if that makes any sense. Still, very nice indeed.

best,

o

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #12,663 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just plugged in my STAX combo into my Zero.

My head's exploded.

nice to see you're finally enjoying your 404s. I should receive my new stax amp this week... cant wait
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #12,665 of 24,807
Quote:

Just plugged in my STAX combo into my Zero.

My head's exploded.

Eargasm?
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #12,671 of 24,807
Quote:

I wonder if there is a lot to gain from removing the foam in the Lambdas or/and modding the amplifier. Audiocats recommended replacing the stock output caps with some boutique caps (This is an SRM1 MKI, not MKII), and it seems like a simple mod. I'm heading back to Hong Kong next week, so if the caps are cheap there than I might buy some and bring them back.

I'm not a big believer in removing the foam from any of the Stax phones. Recapping sounds like a possible good idea, but be careful with a high voltage amp like that, you could die. You can order great caps online, never been to Hong Kong, it would be cool to be able to buy nice boutique caps straight from the street store.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #12,672 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a big believer in removing the foam from any of the Stax phones. Recapping sounds like a possible good idea, but be careful with a high voltage amp like that, you could die. You can order great caps online, never been to Hong Kong, it would be cool to be able to buy nice boutique caps straight from the street store.

Man, I need to get one of these PIX mod'd with Caps instead of CD's!

Your street store statement reminded me of this, Shhhh! Hey buddy, want some BlackGates?
>>

>>
team-snake-oil-picture2420-con-artist.jpg

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #12,673 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I need to get one of these PIX mod'd with Caps instead of CD's!

Your street store statement reminded me of this, Shhhh! Hey buddy, want some BlackGates?
>>

>>
team-snake-oil-picture2420-con-artist.jpg

Yeah, you get DIY'rs calling all the time. It's all like, Hey bro. yeah, I think I might be holding some. What you looking for? Ok, let me check my values.... So and so might have some more.

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #12,674 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In need of help. My sr-007 mk1 is suddenly experiencing channel imbalance. The left channel is around 4-5db less than the right channel. Any suggestions on solutions to this problem?

Just to update. It seems like this problem was cured by not using the headphones a few days and now the headphones are working perfectly again.

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #12,675 of 24,807
Hi fellow stax lovers
Just picked up my sr lambdas & sr-1/mk2 c series amp that I won on Yahoo japan. Well they look to be in mint condition and I am itching to fire them up but I have a few things to sort out first. I live in Australia so I need to set the amp for 240v. There is a sticker on the back that says 100v only but there is also the voltage setting holes behind the small black plate as well. So I have some questions.
1. I assume that the voltage can be changed to 240v using the pins?
2. There is no jumper in the holes so what should I use for a jumper?
3. I assume you bridge 2 holes with a jumper. The 240v hole is labelled 3rd from left on top row. Which other hole do I connect to with the jumper?
4. Can I plug the amp into an Aust power socket with a 3 pin power lead from a computer as the left hand pin on the amps power socket is labelled as being hot. Is this going to be OK or will there be an issue with polarity?
Thanks in advance for your help. Cant wait to have a listen but I want to make sure I get the amp set up for our voltage correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back