The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #12,076 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will never spend time listening to test tones when I can be listening to music so I can't help you there.

Thank you anyways ..... No offense, but if somebody describes a sound, I find it useful what exactly is what they are talking about. Does anybody have more information about this?
I personally found the 404's very enjoyable and the edginess in the trebles was not a big issue except for some vocal/choir performances. I sold them for the Sigma Pro's because I've heard they are wonderful for vocal/choirs/chamber music and I look forward to distinguish the difference between the 2 of them.
When I move up to the SR-007 in a couple of months, I will then have to decide between the MK1 or MK2. For what I just read in the last few posts, the Mk2's "may" do better with "lesser amplifiers" such as the 717, while the MK1's definitely do better with the top of the food chain, specifically the BH/WES.
I think I will likely keep the Sigmas on a long term basis because they are very hard to find, and because of its potential for "upgrade" to a Sigma/404. Very likely I'll buy another Lambda again because I loved the 404's, but not sure which one will be next.
As far as amplifiers are concerned, I will probably wait and use the SRD7 MK2 with a vintage Kenwood amplifier. Granted not the best of choices but it will have to do for a while.

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #12,077 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always kinda liked the "amp built into the headphone stand" idea.

X2

Does not work the same when I put my ES-1 on its side....

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #12,078 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Attachment 22333

Heads up

SRM-353S... That is all new to me.
Sure looks nice though, in its silver chassis...
lambda.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #12,079 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I changed out the tubes for Toshiba in Sherwood's old (now my) T1. It did make it sound a little better. I agree that the Signature had a little more etch then my Normal bias still. ESP950 was great with it too.

If you don't mind running your amp without its cover, get a pair of 6SN7GTB/GTAs with an adaptor in there. Pros = moar power, cons = moar tuberolling and moar $$$ to spend on tweaking

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #12,080 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't mind running your amp without its cover, get a pair of 6SN7GTB/GTAs with an adaptor in there. Pros = moar power, cons = moar tuberolling and moar $$$ to spend on tweaking

I have heard this can be done before, but I have been limited on impressions from those who have done it. It very well may be put out to the sea along with my Stax pro adapter in the new year with the O2s arrival. I am thinking about going to an SS amp more suited for it.

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #12,081 of 24,807
Recieved my first set of Stax and I'm in love. This is even better then my first AudioTechnica experience. Still have to compare these with my MS2 and A900 but I'm sure the stax will win

SRM-Xh with Lambda Pro Classic, so how nice are these headphones? And what should be a fair price to pay for them?

Nov 7, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #12,083 of 24,807
Hello fellow music lovers (and also lovers of writing in forums helping people like me out),

I'm living/working in Japan and with the cold approaching, was thinking this might be an opportune time to get some stax. A couple years ago when visiting Tokyo (when I lived in the U.S) I stopped in yodobashi and remember that my impression of the stax (both the lower and high end phones) were a lot more musical, refined, than any of the dynamics I heard at the time. So I'm looking at the 3050a system (called the 3050II for exports, with slightly different voltage.) I'm having trouble finding reviews on them on the net or in this vast jungle of head-fi. Can anyone offer their experiences with this system, or point me toward reviews of this new version (it seems in the 3050ii/a the amp is different, yes?) My tastes focus around classical, jazz, acoustic, and some rock every now and then.

I'm currently using ad700 and a headroom bithead (sold my valab dac, rega ear, and hd600 in the states cause I didn't have enough room in my luggage).

Any opinions, links, etc., would be appreciated! Thanks

Nov 7, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #12,084 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wonder if it'll be a big difference with 6SN7 tubes like the Syl "Bad Boys", Syl 6SN7Ws, Ken-Rad Black Glass, etc tubes.

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #12,085 of 24,807
You could probably use normal 6SN7GTs in there, but I wouldn't. The main reason I even bothered to try it was because the GTA/Bs were rated for 450V, while the 6CG7s were only rated for 300V.

The amp does sound different with different 6SN7s in there, based on the RCA 6SN7GTA and Syl yellow label 6SN7GTB I've tried.

If you want to try something expensive, the Sophia electric 6SN7 and Shuguang CV-181Z are both rated for 450V as well.

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #12,086 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by PianoForte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello fellow music lovers (and also lovers of writing in forums helping people like me out),

I'm living/working in Japan and with the cold approaching, was thinking this might be an opportune time to get some stax. A couple years ago when visiting Tokyo (when I lived in the U.S) I stopped in yodobashi and remember that my impression of the stax (both the lower and high end phones) were a lot more musical, refined, than any of the dynamics I heard at the time. So I'm looking at the 3050a system (called the 3050II for exports, with slightly different voltage.) I'm having trouble finding reviews on them on the net or in this vast jungle of head-fi. Can anyone offer their experiences with this system, or point me toward reviews of this new version (it seems in the 3050ii/a the amp is different, yes?) My tastes focus around classical, jazz, acoustic, and some rock every now and then.

I'm currently using ad700 and a headroom bithead (sold my valab dac, rega ear, and hd600 in the states cause I didn't have enough room in my luggage).

Any opinions, links, etc., would be appreciated! Thanks

You will find the best value in the used market. A Lambda Signature and a SRM-T1 mate well. I'm using a SRD-7 Pro with Neslon Pass designed amp and a SR-404LIMITED; this combo pleasing and eliminates the need for a dedicated STAX amp. If you plan on staying with STAX long term the SRM-717 is worth seeking out, the newer amp is not the same. The best 'stat amps currently produced are made here in the U.S. by Jack Woo (Woo Audio), Ray Samuels (RSA), and Justin W. (HeadAmp).

This is the wrong thread to discuss dynamics but the are some good options from Denon. If you can, make it a point to check out the Luxman P-1 and/or P-200 headphone amps, the P-1 is one of the best if not the best amp for my ATH-A900LTD. I have not heard the P-1u, yet... but I have high hopes for it too.

Nov 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #12,087 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will find the best value in the used market. A Lambda Signature and a SRM-T1 mate well. I'm using a SRD-7 Pro with Neslon Pass designed amp and a SR-404LIMITED; this combo pleasing and eliminates the need for a dedicated STAX amp. If you plan on staying with STAX long term the SRM-717 is worth seeking out, the newer amp is not the same. The best 'stat amps currently produced are made here in the U.S. by Jack Woo (Woo Audio), Ray Samuels (RSA), and Justin W. (HeadAmp).

This is the wrong thread to discuss dynamics but the are some good options from Denon. If you can, make it a point to check out the Luxman P-1 and/or P-200 headphone amps, the P-1 is one of the best if not the best amp for my ATH-A900LTD. I have not heard the P-1u, yet... but I have high hopes for it too.

Thanks for your response!
I think the woo, RSA, and Headamp are a bit out of my price range. Since I live in Japan, I can get the stax stuff cheaper than I can in the U.S. For example, the 3050a system online is about $850 here. As far as the used market here, I really don't know, since I can't read a lot of kanji (chinese characters used in japanese) yet. I could peruse the forums in the u.s. and the u.k., but the shipping will probably be relatively expensive. I do love my ad700 quite a bit and might consider getting a dac/amp (just discovered the dr.dac2 dx today online) for now, so when/if i do decide to go stax, i'll have a better foundation to listen to them through.

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #12,088 of 24,807
I would still suggest not buying a new STAX amp. I owned a SRM-727II and found it below my standards for an e'stat amp. I can't imagine the SRM-323a being any better.

I would suggest going with a STAX SRD adaptor as they are smaller and easier to ship than a STAX amp. They work worldwide with most speaker amps and the SB models don't need even need to be plugged in to an outlet. Some of the old STAX amps are voltage selectable.

The SR-303 is a fine choice but the older Lambda earspeakers are by no means out of date.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #12,089 of 24,807
I heard a modded SRM-717 with new jacks and wiring today, and listened with Dinan's O2 Mk2 and HE60, and with my HE60 and SR-003, and it was actually pretty nice sounding.

Dinan used the recommended ballast resistors in his re-terminated HE60 cable and there was a smidgeon more bass than my HE60. Mine had been re-terminated by Rudistor before I bought them from Kees, so I don't know if they were done right because the plug is glued closed. Otherwise the 717 gives both HE60 nice bass, and pounds with the SR-003. The 717 was one of those amps that doesn't make a stock O2 Mk2 sound too forward in the mids or too dark, although the mid-bass hump was still there (but not bad).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back