The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #8,686 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as my SR-Lambda's will be arriving in about a week, I was wondering if there are any special care or storage techniques I should be aware of. I am a bit concerned about the life of the phones because of their age. I want to take the best care of them that I can. and this will be my first venture into electrostats. any and all help is appreciated.

If they are working when you get them they should keep on working with minimal care. I have Staxen 30+ years old.

Keep them away from dust and don't get them wet. Stax sells a plastic cover although you could use a gallon freezer bag. I personally have never covered mine. I suspect the main problem you may encounter is that if you use a transformer, rather than an amp, you run more risk of driving them to arcing.

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #8,687 of 24,807
I just got my silver foil XLR cables. I plugged them into my Koala Tube to my 717 and I was pretty impressed. The audience XLR ($300) was a big gap away. Transparency was much improved and the music was more involving. Body was much better as well.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #8,688 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know where I can buy some Japanese Raytheon 6CG7s?

Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind, found some on an old school shady-looking tube site.

eBay? That's where I got mine.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #8,689 of 24,807
Good morning Stax peeps hope someone can help looking for a mint SRM-717 with posible U.S. voltage. to drive my SR007-MK2s, Thanks all and have a safe upcoming holiday..
o2smile.gif

Marc Hessel
Brooklyn, New York..
popcorn.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #8,690 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphone Crazed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good morning Stax peeps hope someone can help looking for a mint SRM-717 with posible U.S. voltage. to drive my SR007-MK2s, Thanks all and have a safe upcoming holiday..
o2smile.gif

Marc Hessel
Brooklyn, New York..
popcorn.gif

You can ask Craig from koboTen to source one for you. I think he has one at the moment. You can reach him at -

support@kuboten.com

Voltage should not be a problem as it can be switchable either internally or externally depending on which batch it is. Internally is a little more troublesome but not impossible. If not mistaken, the one that Craig has is in US voltage. If not, you can ask him for the instructions to do it yourself. I gave him the instruction sometime ago.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #8,691 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Eduj. The guy seems not to have a website, though. Did you by chance check the prices on O2? The German guys that Krmathis linked me to are looking for crazy amounts.

I didn’t ask ,but I’m sure it will be cheaper than the prices I see in ebay.You can alternatively ask other Stax distributors in central/south Europe for prices and if they are willing to ship to you.For example from Croatia,Italy or Czech Republic
Overseas Distributors for Italy
Overseas Distributors for Czech Republic
Overseas Distributors for Croatia

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #8,692 of 24,807
Quote:

as my SR-Lambda's will be arriving in about a week, I was wondering if there are any special care or storage techniques I should be aware of. I am a bit concerned about the life of the phones because of their age. I want to take the best care of them that I can. and this will be my first venture into electrostats. any and all help is appreciated.

Protect them against dust and moist, and don't drop them to the floor.
Apart from that they should be mostly maintenance free and long lasting.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #8,693 of 24,807
It's kind of paradoxical -- the more humid your room is the less dust you will have. Protecting against one puts you at risk of the other.

Don't worry, though, they are really rather maintenance free. Unlike dynamic headphones which are subjected to stress by simply being used, Estats can run for a long time so long as they're minimally cared for.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #8,694 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they are working when you get them they should keep on working with minimal care. I have Staxen 30+ years old.

Keep them away from dust and don't get them wet. Stax sells a plastic cover although you could use a gallon freezer bag. I personally have never covered mine. I suspect the main problem you may encounter is that if you use a transformer, rather than an amp, you run more risk of driving them to arcing.

I have heard this term "arcing" around here a lot. what is it exactly? the only thing I picture is a blue arc of electricity going from one ear to the other, and that would be bad. so what is it, and how do you avoid it. I'll be using an SRD-7sb

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #8,695 of 24,807
Arcing is bad, bad news. When you drive the panels WAAAY too hard they literally arc (though not between your ears
smily_headphones1.gif
) and cause holes to form on the panels. Once they arc once they begin to arc more easily, leading eventually to a useless, goofy looking set of earmuffs.

Preventing this is easy, however. Just be careful that you know where the volume on your amp is before you turn them on. The lambdas will not arc at listenable volumes, they arc at "holy crap is that blood coming out of my brain?" volumes. You will never purposely drive them this hard, but you might have the volume turned up from your speakers and accidentally switch to headphones, which could cause them to arc. Be careful with them, and you're problem free.

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #8,696 of 24,807
Quote:

I have heard this term "arcing" around here a lot. what is it exactly? the only thing I picture is a blue arc of electricity going from one ear to the other, and that would be bad. so what is it, and how do you avoid it. I'll be using an SRD-7sb

You certainly don't want any arching. Its not physical painful for you, as there will be no electricity going through you from one ear to the other.
What happens are that the diaphragm get in contact with one of the two stators, releasing its 230v charge (a shortcut). Which burn a hole in the diaphragm.

You avoid it by not driving the 'phone louder than they are capable of. Don't turn up the volume unless you have the 'phones on your head, and you should be safe. Your ears will hurt before the 'phones.
Stay safe!
o2smile.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #8,698 of 24,807
Quote:

Its amazing how much crap you guys know.

(he says, no knowing that now he knows all this crap too, and in two months noobs will be asking him for advice)
o2smile.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #8,699 of 24,807
Quote:

Its amazing how much crap you guys know.

Damn you Head-Fi!
For making me spend so much time reading and posting around here...
very_evil_smiley.gif

wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back