The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #8,596 of 24,807
I understand where gimmish is coming from ...and you could both be right. When I use my SinglePower MXP3/Supra as a preamp in front of the SRM-T1 it really opens the T-1 up and the brings the amp to life.

The point is simple: the preamp affects your amp and its sound signature; hence two sophisticated listeners may see the GES or any other the amps discussed here in a totaly different light, depending on what's upstream.

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #8,597 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There seems to be alot of opinions about the GES not being able to properly drive the O2. These opinions seem to come from those who have never listened to the GES. I recently borrowed a 717 for a weekend. I could precieve nothing lacking in the GES over the 717 in regards to reaching the full potential of the O2. I will note however that I usually have to put the GES volume past 1 o'clock for a good listeningf level when connected directly to the sourse. I generally use my GES as a power amp leaving the volume at about 80% and going to my ARC LS7 pre-amp, now the volume settings are normal on the pre-amp. I really like using the pre-amp in line mainly because the Siemens tubes sound so good and it seems to really open up the sound stage it also returns volume control to normal. Power wise I can hear no diffence, as far as overall SQ I prefer the GES tube sound over the solid state 717. I do think the 717 is a great amp and I may buy one in the future simply so I can have a diffent sound from time to time.

I would love to hear a GES. I have always been a "tube guy" for over 40 years. I think that the O2 not only needs power but good bandwidth. The 717 seems provide both along with a smooth laid back midrange. My experience with the GES is from other Head-Fiers and reading about the design of the KGSS, KGBH and the circuit used in the GES by Kevin Gilmore.

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #8,598 of 24,807
Too try and kill a very persistent and annoying trend, lets all be clear that volume level and the ability to drive a tough load have nothing to do with each other. Volume is nothing more then voltage and just about every amp can do that but maintaining the same voltage swing into any load sets amp like the 717 apart from the rest. The impedance is pretty stable over the midrange on all ES drivers but drops into the treble and bass which requires more current from the amp to maintain the same level of voltage swing. Couple the amp to a preamp and you could get positive results due to better impedance matching but you are in no way transforming the amp into something better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer has asserted that part of the reason that the KGBHSE is the incredible amp that it is is because of the huge amount of voltage it can output. If that's true, the KGSS may well best the SRM-717. Of course, there's more to it than just that, but don't discount it just yet.

Voltage is only part of the puzzle and is pretty meaningless on its own. The Koss E/90 has more voltage swing then the BH but sounds like a turd and can't even drive the ESP950 properly. Like I said above you also need current and a stiff PSU that doesn't sag under the load. High slewrate (i.e. how fast the amp is) and low output impedance help enormously.

As for the KGSS vs 717 I've never heard one of Justin's units but I never liked my DIY KGSS and it was so big and cumbersome that I scrapped it for parts. Going on memory alone then the 717 is definitely warmer, with a slightly larger then life soundstage and the detail level is quite good.

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #8,599 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There seems to be alot of opinions about the GES not being able to properly drive the O2. These opinions seem to come from those who have never listened to the GES.

HeadPhone addict owns a Woo GES and an o2 Mk II and feels that the GES does not power them properly.

Nov 5, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #8,600 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadPhone addict owns a Woo GES and an o2 Mk II and feels that the GES does not power them properly.

No, I just don't feel it powers them loudly...

But the sound quality is very good at normal to moderately loud volumes. It's just not a match for electronica and head thumping music, and can't come close to the sheer power I get from WA6 or Single Power Square Wave XL balanced with Edition 9/HD600/D2000.

Nov 5, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #8,601 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Voltage is only part of the puzzle and is pretty meaningless on its own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I just don't feel it powers them loudly...

Alright, I get it, I'll stick to talking about politics on the *other* site...

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #8,602 of 24,807
as I will have a sr-lambda/srd-7sb setup soon, I am starting to look into upgrading my cd source. for those of you who have experience with the normal bias lambdas and their revealing capabilities, do you have any recommendations for a CD player under 500 bucks?

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #8,603 of 24,807
Hi guys!
Thanks for answers. And another question.
I offen see here that someone sold STAX 007 + SRM 717. Why they do this? Does STAX have spoilage products? Or may be it's headphones not best? May be you can find something better?
I wanted to buy STAX from Japan .... through auction. Is it good idea to buy STAX that was in use befor?

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #8,604 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couple the amp to a preamp and you could get positive results due to better impedance matching but you are in no way transforming the amp into something better.

Lets not forget another benefit of an active preamp in the fact that as current demand goes up, source voltage can drop and an active pre acts as somewhat of a buffer in this regard.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #8,605 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys!
Thanks for answers. And another question.
I offen see here that someone sold STAX 007 + SRM 717. Why they do this? Does STAX have spoilage products? Or may be it's headphones not best? May be you can find something better?
I wanted to buy STAX from Japan .... through auction. Is it good idea to buy STAX that was in use befor?

They sell them usually because they need the money - the SR-007 and SRM-717 should last for a long time.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #8,606 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets not forget another benefit of an active preamp in the fact that as current demand goes up, source voltage can drop and an active pre acts as somewhat of a buffer in this regard.

Indeed, that's what I meant by impedance matching. This whole business of slapping potentiometers on the front of power amps isn't really ideal without some buffer in place but arguments could be made either way.

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #8,607 of 24,807
Got my black sand violet z-1 power cables yesterday. Those cables are really good. Made a big difference to the drive using my 717 and O2 mk1. The music was smoother, more musical, clearer with treble more extended without irritaition and bass much deeper. Headstage was also wider and more transparent. Power cords do make a difference!!!

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #8,608 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Chew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my black sand violet z-1 power cables yesterday. Those cables are really good. Made a big difference to the drive using my 717 and O2 mk1. The music was smoother, more musical, clearer with treble more extended without irritaition and bass much deeper. Headstage was also wider and more transparent. Power cords do make a difference!!!

Victor,

That's good to hear. I also got 3 Black Sand PC's yesterday, one of which is a Z1. I also picked up a pair of Van Den Hul Second XLR IC's a couple of weeks ago. When my 717 gets here, I'll hook them all up with my O2/Mk1's and my Cary CDP.

Gene

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #8,609 of 24,807
The black sand violet z1 was reviewed as being able to beat power cords many times its price. I did not believe it and thought that is was another of the usual marketing BS. But the price was not too expensive so I took the risk and ordered 2 for myself, thinking that at most I will just sell it off if it sounds like Sh...! Boy, I was wrong. It trashed my power cords costing more than $800. The T1s with my LNS sounded so much more transparent and analogue. With my 717 and O2 mk1, it was no different. The jump was like a search in power and removal of veil which I thought was not even there right from the start.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #8,610 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Every used SR-007 I've seen was well cared for, so I wouldn't worry about buying them used. They will surely be in good condition unless they are listed otherwise.

If you can speak and read Japanese, you're all set. If you can't, or don't have a friend who can translate, I recommend using a service like kuboten.com. Some Japanese auctions won't ship out of the country, and kuboten is useful for that as well. It adds to the price somewhat, but it's a good service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back