The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #8,581 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, there will be significant differences between the Beyerdynamic 880 and any Stax. The sound is totally different, and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

The 717 is really a much better amp than the 727, or so say most people on this board. The 717 is the 2nd best amp Stax has ever made, after the T2 (which is impossible to find, and goes for over $5000 when it comes up used).

The Stax 007 will definitely show you the weaknesses of your system, however. You might eventually want a better source than the 1212M.

ok! And wich source you recomended? Lynx Two? As I will order STAX from Japan - can you suggest some sound card Japan's manifacture?

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #8,582 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok! And wich source you recomended? Lynx Two? As I will order STAX from Japan - can you suggest some sound card Japan's manifacture?

I think what is meant by a better source here is a stand alone or external CD player either with built in DAC or an external DAC with transport. In other words, if I am correct, not through the sound card of a computer.

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #8,584 of 24,807
I take back my previous statements about the Lambda Pro. For some reason, this new Lambda Pro sounds better than the last. I don't know why; it was produced much later than the other one. I can never pinpoint the exact reasons why I hear differences lol (too many factors). That's why I'm hesitant to make big changes.

Anyway, I can see the light! The sound is great, realistic, and full bodied for most classical instruments.

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #8,585 of 24,807
Quote:

Yes, there will be significant differences between the Beyerdynamic 880 and any Stax. The sound is totally different, and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

The 717 is really a much better amp than the 727, or so say most people on this board. The 717 is the 2nd best amp Stax has ever made, after the T2 (which is impossible to find, and goes for over $5000 when it comes up used).

The Stax 007 will definitely show you the weaknesses of your system, however. You might eventually want a better source than the 1212M.

The 717 really is an excellent amp for the pro stax earspeakers...it is so Headfi that the next step up would be BlueHawaiiSE ( I am not really sure without an audition whether even the woo maxed would sound sig better on a SR007/O2).

And Sherwood...Headphoneaddict, I would love to get together for a mini meet sometime. I thought that i would be getting to spend more time in Denver with my son going to DU, but he has been home sick and has traveled back home three times already this first semester. Maybe a westernslope summit,eh?
icon10.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #8,586 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Chew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saw an Aristaeus for sale at the for sale forum. It was sold within 15mins of posting. I did not even get to see the price. That was really fast.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs-aristaeus-378327/

Wow! That one sure sold fast.
Guess the price was either right, or someone wanted one badly.

Whoever you are, enjoy the Aristaeus!
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #8,587 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 717 really is an excellent amp for the pro stax earspeakers...it is so Headfi that the next step up would be BlueHawaiiSE ( I am not really sure without an audition whether even the woo maxed would sound sig better on a SR007/O2).

I was told that there are a number of Stax engineers that use the 717 as their reference amp for the O2. I think that you need to start at a KGBH level to really better the 717. IMO the KGSS takes a back seat to the 717. I can't imagine the GES having the voltage or current drive to really bring the O2 to it's potential.

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #8,588 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was told that there are a number of Stax engineers that use the 717 as their reference amp for the O2. I think that you need to start at a KGBH level to really better the 717. IMO the KGSS takes a back seat to the 717. I can't imagine the GES having the voltage or current drive to really bring the O2 to it's potential.

You're kinda lumping the KGSS and the GES together here -- they're very different amps.

Spritzer has asserted that part of the reason that the KGBHSE is the incredible amp that it is is because of the huge amount of voltage it can output. If that's true, the KGSS may well best the SRM-717. Of course, there's more to it than just that, but don't discount it just yet.

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #8,589 of 24,807
Quote:

You're kinda lumping the KGSS and the GES together here -- they're very different amps.

Spritzer has asserted that part of the reason that the KGBHSE is the incredible amp that it is is because of the huge amount of voltage it can output. If that's true, the KGSS may well best the SRM-717. Of course, there's more to it than just that, but don't discount it just yet.

If I recall correctly audiod infact had a KGSS and in direct comparison to his 717 he preferred the 717. (I could be wrong... but i'm pretty sure)

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #8,592 of 24,807
Quote:

Gene,

I'm still loving the SRM-T1 you sold me with my SR-Lambdas. I'm plenty happy to follow a few steps behind you.

My problem is I don't give any one of these things time to sink in before I'm on to the next one. That comes from following this thread.
tongue.gif

Last week, I tried to get that BH that was for sale here. And I haven't even gotten the 717 yet. It's on the way from AussieLand.

Gene

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #8,593 of 24,807
Quote:

If you search through this thread I did extensive comparisons of the 717, 727II, 007t and KGSS. I owned them all. I kept the 717 and 007t. I use the 717 on my O2 and O2II. I use the 007t with my many Lambda's, SR-XIII and ESP-950. The 727II was bland and opaque. The KGSS has poor low level detail and did not retrieve ambiance cues like the 717 or 007t. When I purchased the KGSS I had high hopes. They were shattered. I have not heard the GES but early reports were that it was underpowered for the O2.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #8,594 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I recall correctly audiod infact had a KGSS and in direct comparison to his 717 he preferred the 717. (I could be wrong... but i'm pretty sure)

Great memory
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #8,595 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There seems to be alot of opinions about the GES not being able to properly drive the O2. These opinions seem to come from those who have never listened to the GES. I recently borrowed a 717 for a weekend. I could precieve nothing lacking in the GES over the 717 in regards to reaching the full potential of the O2. I will note however that I usually have to put the GES volume past 1 o'clock for a good listeningf level when connected directly to the sourse. I generally use my GES as a power amp leaving the volume at about 80% and going to my ARC LS7 pre-amp, now the volume settings are normal on the pre-amp. I really like using the pre-amp in line mainly because the Siemens tubes sound so good and it seems to really open up the sound stage it also returns volume control to normal. Power wise I can hear no diffence, as far as overall SQ I prefer the GES tube sound over the solid state 717. I do think the 717 is a great amp and I may buy one in the future simply so I can have a diffent sound from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back