The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #8,282 of 24,807
Finally pulled the trigger and bought a Stax 2020 basic II system. Waiting its arrival. As my current system is HD650 and Arietta, I find it very suboptimal (or at least 'feel' that way). The problem is that I haven't heard many systems. Something should tell about my situation as I find Grado SR80 somewhat equal to HD650 with the same amplifier in terms of bass, separation & co. Senns still do soundstage better. I enjoy the speed of grados so I expect I like Staxes in that way. What I have gained by searching that many seem to be comparing this very combination (Stax 2020 vs. Senn HD650). Maybe this is a common mark to try the light side.
smily_headphones1.gif

When I compared HD595 and HD650 back then [last fall], I chose HD650 because they sounded fuller and had more body to music. Now I'm pretty aware that staxes don't have body but I hope that the strengths make me a staxist. Soundstage, separation, details.

Is there anything I'd 'need' to know in order to prevent disappointments? I've read about everything about the 2020 on HF.

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #8,283 of 24,807
Yeah, any HV caps of the right value will suffice, as I seem to recall that those are the ones that can dry up.

edit: looks like the guru beat me to it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #8,285 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I compared HD595 and HD650 back then [last fall], I chose HD650 because they sounded fuller and had more body to music. Now I'm pretty aware that staxes don't have body but I hope that the strengths make me a staxist. Soundstage, separation, details.

Is there anything I'd 'need' to know in order to prevent disappointments? I've read about everything about the 2020 on HF.

No disappointments to fear.
Nearly every hp should give you more soundstage than Grado Flats/Bowls and Senn 6xx's (but depending on HRTFs).
As for details and separation: IMO only e'stats, even the basic set, can show these so accurate, smooth and unstressed.

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #8,286 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Birgir. Any news about the SRM-T2?
wink.gif

I didn't win it since I'm crazy but not crazy enough to throw money at something without reason. There is no way I'd pay more for the problematic T2 then the BHSE but I'll continue to search. It's been a fun week though and I've learned a lot more about the T2 and how it was designed.

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #8,287 of 24,807
As above, so I'm tacking on the bottom with the reply button, new here and not really a computer type. Once again apologies but have no alternative way of getting in touch.

My problem: Recently aquired Gamma 'phones with Srd 7 mb 11 box and want to connect to an amp that requires a re-configuration of the L/S outputs to use "electrostatic loudspeakers" or anything containing a transformer; I imagine that will be the Srd 7. To re-configure, a disc is turned through 180 degrees before plugging in the loudspeaker. The amp is a Revox A78 integrated and the speaker plugs are of the, one flat blade and a pin type.

The Revox guy says it's a Q for Stax, not that I agree since they, Stax, don't have the requirement. As far as I know the box is simply inserted between L/S leads and the Stax flylead run to the amp output.

Since I have two L/S outputs, A & B, switchable on the A78 I have some flexibility. Does the Srd constitute an "electrostatic load" or a normal load? I could re-configure output "A" for electrostatic use and leave the box permanently switched to phones, leaving output "B" normal for L/S use only, using the A78 to switch between "A", phones and "B", speakers.

The amp's just been rebuilt from the ground up at considerable cost and I don't want any "accidents". For those asking "why", I'm a big fan of Revox and have built up an "antiques corner" of entirely Revox kit in addition to my main digital system. Since I do a lot of recording and editing reel to reel, I fancied a pair of phones closer to that era and what better than the Stax to monitor with.

Once more apologies for butting in with a totally unrelated post but I really need your help and advice

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #8,288 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't win it since I'm crazy but not crazy enough to throw money at something without reason. There is no way I'd pay more for the problematic T2 then the BHSE but I'll continue to search. It's been a fun week though and I've learned a lot more about the T2 and how it was designed.

I see! ...and it seems like a nice mentality.
At least you got to know more about its design.

By the way. Care sharing how much it went for? Cause I can not longer find the auction.

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #8,290 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
901.000Yen...

Ouch! Thats a lot of money for an amplifier/headphone pair with a so-so durability reputation.

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #8,292 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by the internet
Many years ago, a baker's assistant called Richard the Pourer, whose job it was to pour the dough mixture in the making of sausage rolls, noted that he was running low on one of the necessary spices, he sent his apprentice to the store to buy more.

Unfortunately, upon arriving at the shop, the young man realized that he had forgotten the name of the ingredient. All he could do was to tell the shopkeeper that it was for Richard the Pourer, for batter for wurst.

My condolences on not winning that awesome $9,000 liability. Better luck next time.

Oct 7, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #8,294 of 24,807
Sherwood! You MUST come visit sometime soon to hear the new Woo GES maxed.

I have about 50 hours on it so far and it sounds much better today than when I hooked it up Saturday night. Now it is very spacious and transparent vs out of the box. My 12BZ7 have about 150 hours on them from burning them in with the prototype. I am going to start doing head to head comparison with the prototype tomorrow.

Maybe at some point I'll also try the cryotreated Mullard 12AX7 clones once the amp is fully burned in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back