The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #7,486 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question about Lambda Nova Signature headband. If I were to peel the soft vinyl material on top what will I find underneath? It's beginning to flake on my LNS and I was trying to see of peeling it off would make ruin the headband or just expose some nice looking lather like material.

No one did this to their LNS? Also does anyone know what is the membrane thickness for LNS is it 1.5um or 1.35um?

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #7,487 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no stupid question, right? What's an anti-cable? is it kinda like Luke's light saber and swooshes when you take 'em out?
wink.gif
really, actually a serious question, as I do not know what they are and who makes them...
they do sound kind of mystical...

No, more like anti-matter from Star Trek
wink.gif

Anti-Cables | Home

Anti-Cables | Anti-IC's

These are fantastic interconnects. I wouldn't know about speaker cables because I still use 18g lamp cord for that.

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #7,488 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, more like anti-matter from Star Trek
wink.gif

Anti-Cables | Home

Anti-Cables | Anti-IC's

These are fantastic interconnects. I wouldn't know about speaker cables because I still use 18g lamp cord for that.

I second that.

Terry Cain and I came across the anti cable a few years ago.

It really does not take much to simply do the trick, folks...often times the complicated designs just muck things up. Want proof? Open up some amplifiers, or better yet, transformers. What is in there? Also, look at the binding posts on oscilloscopes...

As always, YMMV, these are just humble opinions.

A good speaker cable design was circulating around TNT audio a few years back. It was cross connected coax cable. Called the u-byte or something like that.

-Clark

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #7,489 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there something like a Stax FAQ before I begin asking stupid questions?

No FAQ.
But the Stax website and/or "Stax Earspeakers" on Wikipedia may answer your questions. That said there are no stupid questions...

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #7,490 of 24,807
Just an FYI in case someone wants to help. I am trying to put together a wiki with basic and detailed info about various headphones, Stax will be one of the big categories. Main Page - Wikiphonia. The purpose of this page is to categorize and organize the knowledge in easy to access form.

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #7,491 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then go to the first page and start reading...it took me two weeks of "night shifts"
tongue.gif

I think the Stax Mafia should present anyone who reads the entirety of this thread with a free SR-007 Mk2.

Calling Caporegime edstrelow, Caporegime Faust2D, Consigliere audiod, Underboss krmathis, Don Spritzer?

American Mafia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #7,492 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Stax Mafia should present anyone who reads the entirety of this thread with a free SR-007 Mk2.

Calling Caporegime edstrelow, Caporegime Faust2D, Consigliere audiod, Underboss krmathis, Don Spritzer?

biggrin.gif
ha ha ha, never thought I of myself as part of the Stax mafia
cool.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #7,493 of 24,807
Quote:

Thanks...but I must refuse such a kind gift, as I have a SR 007 already and I like to hear the fart
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #7,494 of 24,807
Quote:

Yeah but then they would OWN you and if you bought dynamic headphones you'd wake up with a horses head wearing bose headphones next to you - Terrifiying!
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #7,495 of 24,807
What can I expect going from a Denon D2000 to a Stax SR-303? Less bass I guess, but a significant improvement somewhere else?

Would SR-303 be enough to experience a significant improvement?

Would SRM-313 or SRM-323 be the way to go? Is there an audible difference between both?

Would it be wise to put a little more on the headphone or the amplifier?

If I put more on the amplifier, could I use it also with my D2000, with some kind of adapter?

I assume it would be difficult to do it the other way around... Using the SR-303 with a good standard amplifier... Cause I can't find SRDs with pro bias at a reasonable price...

There's also the Koss ESP-950, but that would be for another thread I guess...

Thanks all

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #7,499 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What can I expect going from a Denon D2000 to a Stax SR-303? Less bass I guess, but a significant improvement somewhere else?

I think that's a fair statement. And while the bass might be less, you may like it better,

Quote:

Would SR-303 be enough to experience a significant improvement?

IMO, without a doubt.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #7,500 of 24,807
Is break-in an issue w/ Stax cans or is it typically limited to dynamics? IF it is an issue, to what extent? I have 150+ hrs on SR-303/SRM-323II rig and I think SQ has been fairly consistent out of the box, however, I was listening to a little John Lee Hooker earlier this evening (the AcousTech Fantasy 45 "That's My Story" disk) and I swear to Buddha for several minutes there I was right in the studio with The Hook - I could practically see the spit hit the mic. So I thought I'd ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back