The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #7,471 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have been listening to the HE60 and SR-003 for the past 4 hours non-stop! I have not broken out the Lambda Signature yet, maybe tomorrow afternoon more likely. I have tried them with the following 4 amps:

Woo GES prototype (not up to current specs),
SRM-1 Mk2 Pro,
HEV70 with stax adapter, and
Nuforce Icon with SRD-7 Pro.

To be able to listen to all 4 running at the same time by simply plugging in phones, I have the Apogee mini-DAC XLR out via Neutrik 12" XLR interconnects to Jensens Transformers RCA adapter to anti-cables IC's to SRM-1 Mk2 Pro - then out of the pass through via silver plated copper IC ($60) to the Woo GES. Then I have the Apogee mini-DAC 1/8" line out via Jenna Labs 22g cryo Canare F12 mini-mini to Nuforce with SRD-7 and the Nuforce pre-amp line out via barqy silver plated mini>RCA to HEV70. I already had it set up this way, except that I unplugged the Woo WA6 and replaced it with the GES plugged into the WA6's IC's and Shunyata Viper power cord. I used my Marantza CD5001 via Coax out with a Synergistic Research Digital coax cable into the Apogee.

I listened to Jack Johnson "On and On", FIM XRCD Jacintha "Autumn Leaves", FIM XRCD Tsuyoshi Yamamoto "Smooth Jazz Festival", FIM XRCD "Jazz at the Pawnshop", Diana Krall "Girl in the Other Room" and "This is K2 HD" sampler.

I suspect that the way I have it set up is why the SRM-1 M2 Pro is almost as good as the Woo GES - that maybe the SRM-1 pass through could be holding the GES back slightly (either due to the SRM-1 or the silver plated interconnects which I think are very good but not as good and the anti-cables). Or, it may be the fact that this is a 3yr old prototype GES that is not up to todays build SQ. Or, it could be the fact that these headphones are not hard to drive, and that the better amp will only stand out when presented with a difficult phone to drive, like the SR-007 or 4070. I am just amazed at how well the SRM-1 stands up to the competition. Both amps are quite good sounding with the HE60 and SR-003, but with the HE60 the edge does go to the GES for being the most overall balanced so far.

The Nuforce/SRD-7 Pro has more PRaT and impact, but there is some missing micro-detail and ambience/air with it, making some music sound like it was done in a studio instead of a small venue. In contrast, the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro is filled with air and ambience and detail, but doesn't have quite the punch of the SRD-7 pro. The Woo GES seems to bridge that gap and give more air and ambience than the Nuforce/SRD-7 Pro, but more bass impact than the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro (but it doesn't quite match the bass of the Nuforce/SRD-7 Pro). Soundstage in the GES is well focused in both width and depth, while the SRM-1 seems slightly less focused and smeared but taller.

The GES tames the edge on the highs that I hear in the HE60 with the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro, while the SR-003 benefit from that edge and I might slightly like the SR-003 better with the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro. The GES has slightly less air and ambience than the SRM-1, but I am fairly sure that if I run the anti-cables directly into the GES (and skip the SRM-1) that the sound will get a little more open. The Nuforce adds a little more forwards mids and intimacy as well as more bass, but the treble is closer to the GES and less than the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro. Switching to the HEV70, I get the forward mids and punchier bass of the Nuforce, but with slightly less airy treble and ambience than the GES or SRM-1 (but more than the Nuforce/SRD-7 pro).

I have to take a break from this, and I'll post more when I change the cables around to skip the SRM-1 pass-through. Too bad the GES and WA6 don't have pass-through or pre-amp out.

I am now evaluating the GES connected directly to the Apogee mini-DAC, instead of passing through the SRM-1 with several interconnects between the DAC and Woo. It was Apogee > 12" neutrik XLR IC > Jensens RCA Transformer > Anti-cables IC > SRM-1 > Silver plated copper IC > Woo GES.

Now it is Apogee > mini-RCA silver plated copper > Woo. I will also try it with Apogee > mini-RCA solid 1-piece adapter > Anti-cables IC > Woo GES. Then I will also try it with Apogee > neutrik XLR to RCA gender plug > Anti-cables IC.

I will report back late tonight, after my son's baseball game, with the GES and the above connections, using the HE60, SR-Lambda Signature and SR-003. (don't have the Gamma pro here yet).

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #7,472 of 24,807
easychairStaxsetup02JPG.jpg

easychairStaxsetup01aJPG.jpg

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #7,473 of 24,807
Hey, I could own some O2 also, I just don't want to have to pay off the credit card afterwards.
biggrin.gif

PS: I need more time to do my GES evaluation, hopefully will be done tomorrow.

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #7,474 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I can say at this moment is that the 3050 system, and the Lambda Pro, are stunning. I finally feel as though I have purchased gear that sounds real. The fact that it gets much better is actually scary.

Then you're definitely on the right track!
smily_headphones1.gif

Electrostatics are kind of magic.

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #7,475 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you're definitely on the right track!
smily_headphones1.gif

Electrostatics are kind of magic.

Magic is about right. It's as though the headphones are more my friends, as opposed to being just tools. Very interesting experience.

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #7,476 of 24,807
I have a question about Lambda Nova Signature headband. If I were to peel the soft vinyl material on top what will I find underneath? It's beginning to flake on my LNS and I was trying to see of peeling it off would make ruin the headband or just expose some nice looking lather like material.

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #7,477 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Magic is about right. It's as though the headphones are more my friends, as opposed to being just tools. Very interesting experience.

Indeed, that headphone paradigm is exactly what I have been looking for for a long time. Dynamic phones? You name it, Ive head it and had mixed feelings on it... The ATH W1000 is nice though, not much bass at all though... Ive heard that the amp matters.

I am so glad to have been helped to re-discover my headphone passion with the help of those on this forum. While I build single drivers for a living, I admit that I have learned from Electrostats (both speakers and headphones), quite a bit. Like single drivers, they are very special sounding when done properly. (Also, like single driver systems, they can be quite bad when NOT done properly...)

Too, speakers are darned nice, but sometimes it is fun to cut the room out of the equation (for better or worse, regarding the reproduction of the record's mastering techniques). So headpohone electrostats it is. bye bye grado, sennheiser hd650 (so tired of those things). Etymotics, well, those are nice. Learning to love them...

But electrostats are for chillin. Can't beat that.

Clark

Jul 16, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #7,479 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of flakey , I see McAlister has finally updated their website-McAlister Audio - Vacuum tube power amplifiers, High End Audio, Tube Amps
Of obvious interest here is the EA-8. It LOOKS a bit better.... soooo.... anyone willing to take one for the team.....

Looks a lot like _my_ (returned) EA-6. No thanks - that 'tasty' exterior is fool's gold for what was found inside, at least on mine. Just request an interior shot of the amp before you plunk down, then there won't be any sickening surprises.

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #7,481 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there something like a Stax FAQ before I begin asking stupid questions?

There are no stupid questions, only questions not asked when should have been are stupid after the fact.

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #7,482 of 24,807
Jul 17, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #7,483 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have been listening to the HE60 and SR-003 for the past 4 hours non-stop! I have not broken out the Lambda Signature yet, maybe tomorrow afternoon more likely. I have tried them with the following 4 amps:

Woo GES prototype (not up to current specs),
SRM-1 Mk2 Pro,
HEV70 with stax adapter, and
Nuforce Icon with SRD-7 Pro.

To be able to listen to all 4 running at the same time by simply plugging in phones, I have the Apogee mini-DAC XLR out via Neutrik 12" XLR interconnects to Jensens Transformers RCA adapter to anti-cables IC's to SRM-1 Mk2 Pro - then out of the pass through via silver plated copper IC ($60) to the Woo GES. Then I have the Apogee mini-DAC 1/8" line out via Jenna Labs 22g cryo Canare F12 mini-mini to Nuforce with SRD-7 and the Nuforce pre-amp line out via barqy silver plated mini>RCA to HEV70. I already had it set up this way, except that I unplugged the Woo WA6 and replaced it with the GES plugged into the WA6's IC's and Shunyata Viper power cord. I used my Marantza CD5001 via Coax out with a Synergistic Research Digital coax cable into the Apogee.

I listened to Jack Johnson "On and On", FIM XRCD Jacintha "Autumn Leaves", FIM XRCD Tsuyoshi Yamamoto "Smooth Jazz Festival", FIM XRCD "Jazz at the Pawnshop", Diana Krall "Girl in the Other Room" and "This is K2 HD" sampler.

I suspect that the way I have it set up is why the SRM-1 M2 Pro is almost as good as the Woo GES - that maybe the SRM-1 pass through could be holding the GES back slightly (either due to the SRM-1 or the silver plated interconnects which I think are very good but not as good and the anti-cables). Or, it may be the fact that this is a 3yr old prototype GES that is not up to todays build SQ. Or, it could be the fact that these headphones are not hard to drive, and that the better amp will only stand out when presented with a difficult phone to drive, like the SR-007 or 4070. I am just amazed at how well the SRM-1 stands up to the competition. Both amps are quite good sounding with the HE60 and SR-003, but with the HE60 the edge does go to the GES for being the most overall balanced so far.

The Nuforce/SRD-7 Pro has more PRaT and impact, but there is some missing micro-detail and ambience/air with it, making some music sound like it was done in a studio instead of a small venue. In contrast, the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro is filled with air and ambience and detail, but doesn't have quite the punch of the SRD-7 pro. The Woo GES seems to bridge that gap and give more air and ambience than the Nuforce/SRD-7 Pro, but more bass impact than the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro (but it doesn't quite match the bass of the Nuforce/SRD-7 Pro). Soundstage in the GES is well focused in both width and depth, while the SRM-1 seems slightly less focused and smeared but taller.

The GES tames the edge on the highs that I hear in the HE60 with the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro, while the SR-003 benefit from that edge and I might slightly like the SR-003 better with the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro. The GES has slightly less air and ambience than the SRM-1, but I am fairly sure that if I run the anti-cables directly into the GES (and skip the SRM-1) that the sound will get a little more open. The Nuforce adds a little more forwards mids and intimacy as well as more bass, but the treble is closer to the GES and less than the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro. Switching to the HEV70, I get the forward mids and punchier bass of the Nuforce, but with slightly less airy treble and ambience than the GES or SRM-1 (but more than the Nuforce/SRD-7 pro).

I have to take a break from this, and I'll post more when I change the cables around to skip the SRM-1 pass-through. Too bad the GES and WA6 don't have pass-through or pre-amp out.

Okay, so I have been spending more time on my HE60 with just the SRM-1 and the 3yr old prototype Woo GES, connected directly to the Apogee mini-DAC one at a time. Previously I posted that when connecting the Woo GES to the pass-through RCA out of the SRM-1 via silver plated copper IC that the two amps were fairly close in sound quality, with the Woo just a little better than the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro.

Since yesterday I have disconnected the Woo from the back of the SRM-1 and ran the GES directly to the Apogee (via XLR out > 12" Neutrik IC > Jensen XLR to RCA transformer > Anti-cables ICs > Woo GES). I would then unplug the anti-cables IC from the GES and quickly plug them into the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro to listen to the other amp with the same cables.

There is no question in my mind now that the GES is better than the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro when either is using the higher quality interconnects directly from the Apogee mini-DAC, with the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro being about 90% of the the Woo (when the SRM-1 is connected to the same cables as the Woo and swapping the IC cables back and forth). I can't stop listening to the GES while I type this!

The improvements are primarily in a just little better bass control and definition and presence, and a noticeable bump in ambience and air and detail without becoming piercing or bright - while the SRM-1 is just a bit thinner in the bass and a bit more shrill in the highs on some material than the Woo GES. It was those very qualities in the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro that had lead me to purchase the SRD-7 Pro adapter and Nuforce Icon for the HE60 (before I had a working PSU for the HEV70). While the SRM-1 is fantastic with the SR-003 and SR-Lambda Signature (and not bad with the HE60) I was prefering the Nuforce with SRD-7 Pro with the HE60. Now the GES is on top with everything - I can't wait to find out what a GES built up to the current specs would sound like.

After this assessment, I then decided to test the difference between interconnects. I ran a highflyin9 built Zysonics silver plated copper IC to one of the two amps from the 1/8" line out, so I could compare and switch more quickly between the Woo and the SRM-1 without having to unplug one amp to listen to the other (previous testing showed my XLR out and 1/8" sound the same). I then listened to each amp with both sets of interconnects (the XLR setup with anti-cables, and the 1/8" out to RCA), and I also pulled the anti-cables out and tried a set of highflyin9 RCA-RCA IC in their place.

In this test with different quality interconnects, I clearly hear some of those same improvements with the anti-cables IC's vs any of my silver plated copper IC. The anti-cables make either amp sound better. I confirmed this when I swapped the cables - the anti-cables IC made the SRM-1 sound better and closer to the Woo GES when used with either of my silver plated copper IC (mini-RCA and RCA-RCA). This brought the SRM-1 back to being 95% of the GES if I used anti-cables with the SRM-1 and silver plated copper with the GES. Typically I use the silver plated copper to feed my Woo maxed WA6 dynamic phone amp and they get along well, while I use the anti-cables to feed my Stats.

Now, I need to add that at a mini-meet with Blutarsky last Saturday there was minimal difference in sound quality between the Apogee XLR out and 1/8" line out, if we used similar quality and type cables when were were using the HEV70 at his house. In my initial review my SRM-1 and the GES were both being fed from the XLR (while the SRD-7 and HEV70 were connected to the 1/8" out). So, I believe the improvement in the GES sound quality now vs my initial testing of the GES is both due to eliminating the SRM-1 pass through AND the improvement in interconnects. Nevertheless, with the best cables I have, the SRM-1 was still only 90% of the GES when used with the same cables.

PS: I have never heard Guinea Pig "Kool Cats" or Jazz at the Pawn Shop sound this real before, ever!
eek.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #7,485 of 24,807
There is no stupid question, right? What's an anti-cable? is it kinda like Luke's light saber and swooshes when you take 'em out?
wink.gif
really, actually a serious question, as I do not know what they are and who makes them...
they do sound kind of mystical...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back