The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #7,426 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those drivers are priceless (literally as there are no spares left in the world) so they will hopefully not be touched again, ever!!
frown.gif
I did how ever just finish doing some small revisions to my Sigma 404 (it was the prototype and I've learned a bit since them) and finished cleaning and conditioning them. They sound great and look like new.
smily_headphones1.gif

What did you change? If I am ever brave enough to risk killing my SR-303 and Sigma at the same time. By the way SR-303 cable will look very nice with SR-Lambda frame, a much better match than SR-404
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #7,427 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did you change? If I am ever brave enough to risk killing my SR-303 and Sigma at the same time. By the way SR-303 cable will look very nice with SR-Lambda frame, a much better match than SR-404
wink.gif

I changed the insulation for the terminals and how I connected them. I also messed with the damping a bit around the drivers and modded the strain relief so that is fits better. No major changes and mostly to make sure the phones have a long and trouble free life.

I have a Nova Classic here that I could borrow the cable from but the light brown unit doesn't look half bad. I also tried wearing the phones backwards and it is "interesting"...
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #7,429 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the SR-Omega drivers fit into the SR-007 housing or are they too large?

They are far too big:

The brass ring is the exact size of the O1 driver so you can see it isn't that much bigger but the Sr-007 housing is carved out around the driver.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #7,432 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have been listening to the HE60 and SR-003 for the past 4 hours non-stop! I have not broken out the Lambda Signature yet, maybe tomorrow afternoon more likely.

I suspect that the way I have it set up is why the SRM-1 M2 Pro is almost as good as the Woo GES - that maybe the SRM-1 pass through could be holding the GES back slightly (either due to the SRM-1 or the silver plated interconnects which I think are very good but not as good and the anti-cables). Or, it may be the fact that this is a 3yr old prototype GES that is not up to todays build SQ. Or, it could be the fact that these headphones are not hard to drive, and that the better amp will only stand out when presented with a difficult phone to drive, like the SR-007 or 4070. I am just amazed at how well the SRM-1 stands up to the competition. Both amps are quite good sounding with the HE60 and SR-003, but with the HE60 the edge does go to the GES for being the most overall balanced so far.

Really nice review HPaddict. I received my SR 007's(omega II) a few days ago, but did not have much time to listen to them. I was not too much in a hurry as I only had the SRM1/MK2 pro to plug into. I was under the wrong impression that this amp would not drive the 007's well, but I had my socks knocked off when I finally had a chance to listen last night! They sound great on this amp.
Now I happen to like the SR 303 more than the Lambda Pro's....more even across the upper mids, smooth treble, and full bass...BUT the 007 is able to present its detail, great midrange and controlled deep bass, obviously besting the sr303. The 303 was more forward in the upper range and the 007 warmer/ or darker as many describe BUT it sounds very good still out the srm1/mk2 pro. Very Full sound.
The 303 had a touch of sibilance on the Cowboy Junkies "sweet jane", which the 007 tamed, the soundstaging was so more real also, as the 303 presented the cymbals way too close to my Right ear. On Dire Staits "Water of Love" the vocal harmonies were blurred and harsh on the 303, but the 007's detail in the upper mids and much more air made it easier to hear the layers of backup vocal. The difference was as obvious as when I compared my dynamic's to the LambdaPro.

Computer>Pico>silver miniRCA IC>srm1/mk2pro>SR 007 is pretty worthwhile, despite under powering the 007...the SRM 717 should only be better!

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #7,433 of 24,807
Stax has sold a lot of the MkII lately to many of us.

Jul 13, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #7,435 of 24,807
Man I have some bad luck with SR-001 cables! Lastnight I fell asleep with the headphones on only to wake up to sound that was all F'd up. I tested all the connections and everything was hooked up fine, and then I noticed my puppy had chewed on the cable when I was sleeping!!!

The left driver was playing quieter than the other. I assume this was due to either the + or - cable being severed? But there was also a slight buzz so maybe it was the ground? I'm not sure. What I do know is that I averted disaster and was able to repair it with a bit of solder and heatshrink. Probably reduces the resale value of the unit a lot but I don't think I will ever sell these anyways.

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #7,436 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man I have some bad luck with SR-001 cables! Lastnight I fell asleep with the headphones on only to wake up to sound that was all F'd up. I tested all the connections and everything was hooked up fine, and then I noticed my puppy had chewed on the cable when I was sleeping!!!

The left driver was playing quieter than the other. I assume this was due to either the + or - cable being severed? But there was also a slight buzz so maybe it was the ground? I'm not sure. What I do know is that I averted disaster and was able to repair it with a bit of solder and heatshrink. Probably reduces the resale value of the unit a lot but I don't think I will ever sell these anyways.

LOL, if they weren't so cute...

My dog MoMo chewed my UE Triple.Fi cable, which is fortunately cheap and easy to replace.

Stax cable on the other hand...

-Ed

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #7,437 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electrostat drivers...they are all, so beautiful
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed!
smily_headphones1.gif

Birgir, thanks for the pictures. ** saved **

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #7,438 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really nice review HPaddict. I received my SR 007's(omega II) a few days ago, but did not have much time to listen to them. I was not too much in a hurry as I only had the SRM1/MK2 pro to plug into. I was under the wrong impression that this amp would not drive the 007's well, but I had my socks knocked off when I finally had a chance to listen last night! They sound great on this amp.
Now I happen to like the SR 303 more than the Lambda Pro's....more even across the upper mids, smooth treble, and full bass...BUT the 007 is able to present its detail, great midrange and controlled deep bass, obviously besting the sr303. The 303 was more forward in the upper range and the 007 warmer/ or darker as many describe BUT it sounds very good still out the srm1/mk2 pro. Very Full sound.
The 303 had a touch of sibilance on the Cowboy Junkies "sweet jane", which the 007 tamed, the soundstaging was so more real also, as the 303 presented the cymbals way too close to my Right ear. On Dire Staits "Water of Love" the vocal harmonies were blurred and harsh on the 303, but the 007's detail in the upper mids and much more air made it easier to hear the layers of backup vocal. The difference was as obvious as when I compared my dynamic's to the LambdaPro.

Computer>Pico>silver miniRCA IC>srm1/mk2pro>SR 007 is pretty worthwhile, despite under powering the 007...the SRM 717 should only be better!

Now you MUST come to the CO meet on the 26th, so we can all listen to the SR-007 on the loaner Woo GES that I am bringing, and the ES-1 that Mikhail will have there.

In other news, I spent the whole day today with my HE60/HEV70 over at Blutarsky's, comparing it to his rare Grado PS-1, HP-2, and others. He is now mad at me for making him want to sell something for his own pair of HE60.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #7,439 of 24,807
ha! I forgot about the singlepower ES1....but too many trips to Denver already planned from the rest of the family, although I am delivering my son to DU at the end of August, BAD timing! Enjoy the Colorado meet HPaddict!

If the srm 717 gives the 007's close to the oomph and control of the bass that comes out of it using the SRD 7pro, I will stick with the 717!

Jul 13, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #7,440 of 24,807
Did anyone actually like the 404 MORE then the omegas? if so, why?

Curious.

maybe I am not providing enough background... I have heard the orpheus, omegas, both multiple occasions. the omegas never did it for me. the presentation was just off somehow. many different amps, all the same issue.

I can understand people liking them to be sure. they arre incredibly detailed, nice sounding. I had an issue with them perhaps sounding too "high class" for me.

the 404 sound more like real music. not perfect, but still: VERY nice sound, and up front like good studio monitors.

They do not try to be more than they are, and in that aspect, they are more than they are, specially for the money.

I am thinking of getting a used pair and DIYing a crazy amp for them or something as a side project. Is this a good route?

Any encouragement?

-Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back