The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #7,396 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdennis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you set vintage stuff aside, and just look at current products and prices, Stax prices are quite high, with only one system offering below $300 (and that's only if you buy it from Japan, with the attendant warranty complications).

Why not count vintage stuff? From all I've read you can put together a great stat system for under $300 including amplification, no more expensive than a mid-fi dynamic rig. Seems a shame to hide this thread from the general head-fi populace and reinforce the notion that stats are all extremely expensive.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #7,397 of 24,807
Could one of you long-time Stax aficionados comment on the merits of the SRM-007t/SR-007MK2 rig relative to the SRM-323II/SR-303 (SRS-3050II Classic)? Background: I'm considering replacing my nearly new Classic system with the former and am wondering whether, at triple the price, the new 007 system is a reasonable value. This would be a dedicated analog rig, with a Pro-Ject RM-10/Sumiko Blackbird source through a Bel Canto Phono3 headend. Musical taste runs the gamut. I have all the usual dynamic cans (GS100, K701, DT880, Senn 650), but feed them only with balanced SACD and digital (iTunes) input through a Head Room Balanced Max (Home) as they've been re-cabled w/ balanced Cardas/Fatpipe (the Grados run off a Zana Deux). I find all the balanced cans to have some sort of coloration/idiosyncrasy. Makes them especially fun for certain stuff but the Stax are my reference cans (though the Grados really are quite impressive) for vinyl. I'm a vinyl junkie from way back - I can remember paying less for a Phase Linear 400, new retail, than I just paid for a 45 RPM CCR boxed set. I'm still kicking myself for selling that unpeeled Velvet Underground LP in 1979 for $10 ... anyway, thoughts on the high-end Stax system appreciated. TIA

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #7,398 of 24,807
Hmm, just noticed that this thread has been moved.

I'm not sure I'm happy about the move. I figured "summit fi" was where we were going to stick the brilliant pebbles and Peter Belt's Quantum Rainbow Foil.

You know, so that people who can properly appreciate those things need not be distracted by the likes of me.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #7,399 of 24,807
oops - didn't mean to insult all balanced cans there, just the dynamic ones. Poor editor. I've smacked her. Shan't happen again. TTFN

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #7,400 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best way is either to fix it yourself if you can, or get a trusted DIYer from here to fix it for you. Cable issues are relatively straightforward to deal with-- if you lost a driver or seriously broke the housing, you'd need another broken pair to turn it into one good one, there would be no other way.

So it's not a good idea to go through Yama's service dept?

I'm considering replacing the ear pads anyways, so maybe that can be a one stop fixall solution for me. Unless Yama's service dept is a horror to deal with?

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #7,401 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[Shameless plug]I have a FS thread for the lambda nova sig [/shameless plug]

Good luck with your sale!
I have a couple of Stax'en in the FS forum as well..
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seeing double or no? One stock SR-Omega and the other fitted with SR-007A drivers.
biggrin.gif

Oh! So you ended up scoring the eBay pair I saw last week...
Why am I not Surprised? Hmmm
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, just noticed that this thread has been moved.

I just noticed as well.
At least there are no longer a question if Stax is High-End or not... he he

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #7,402 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh! So you ended up scoring the eBay pair I saw last week...
Why am I not Surprised? Hmmm
tongue.gif

rolleyes.gif
It was the chance to work on SR-Ω drivers that sealed the deal for me. Talking about crazy driver design...
eek.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #7,403 of 24,807
Pah, wasn't that crazy. Wait until you see what I've been cooking up that uses Strontium-90 for stators and asbestos for insulation.

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #7,404 of 24,807
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
It was the chance to work on SR-Ω drivers that sealed the deal for me. Talking about crazy driver design...
eek.gif

Define "crazy" please!
smily_headphones1.gif

As in don't-go-there, why-didn't-I-think-of-that, ... territory?

I bet you have a lot of fun looking into the SR-Omega drivers. And that you perhaps even get the bad driver going again.

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #7,405 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pah, wasn't that crazy. Wait until you see what I've been cooking up that uses Strontium-90 for stators and asbestos for insulation.

Send me a set if you want some beta testers.

Quote:

Define "crazy" please!
smily_headphones1.gif

As in don't-go-there, why-didn't-I-think-of-that, ... territory?

I bet you have a lot of fun looking into the SR-Omega drivers. And that you perhaps even get the bad driver going again.

First off the sheer size of the damn thing at 98mm across. The diaphragm is 90mm across or an area of 63.62cm2 mounted between two brass rings. The bias was connected directly to the brass rings. The stators are made out of a fine copper mesh, deposited with vapor gold and no insulation at all. The stators are a bit smaller then the diaphragm and fully open due to the nature of the material. The stators are encased in a resin based frame and supported by resin based cartwheels. Lead wires are soldered to the copper mesh.

One thing to note is that the drivers aren't held together in any way so they are just stacked up inside the housing. Besides the lack of glue, the drivers are very similar in structure to the SR-Lambda drivers of the era. I'll take some pics when I start to play with them.

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #7,406 of 24,807
Quote:

First off the sheer size of the damn thing at 98mm across. The diaphragm is 90mm across or an area of 63.62cm2 mounted between two brass rings. The bias was connected directly to the brass rings. The stators are made out of a fine copper mesh, deposited with vapor gold and no insulation at all. The stators are a bit smaller then the diaphragm and fully open due to the nature of the material. The stators are encased in a resin based frame and supported by resin based cartwheels. Lead wires are soldered to the copper mesh.

One thing to note is that the drivers aren't held together in any way so they are just stacked up inside the housing. Besides the lack of glue, the drivers are very similar in structure to the SR-Lambda drivers of the era. I'll take some pics when I start to play with them.

Interesting reading.
No wonder they are such unstable beasts and may break down any day. At least "New Stax" made some major improvement for the SR-007.

Some pictures would be nice indeed.

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #7,407 of 24,807
Quote:

Interesting reading.
No wonder they are such unstable beasts and may break down any day. At least "New Stax" made some major improvement for the SR-007.

Some pictures would be nice indeed.

The Sr-Ω and SR-007 drivers are night and day when it comes to reliability. The newer driver has is all, very stiff and well insulated stators plus a strong superstructure to transfer all unwanted vibrations away from the diaphragm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back