The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #6,691 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that I've had my Stax for a few weeks, I've noticed a phenomenon. No matter how loud I turn the volume up, the headphones never distort or become harsh to listen to.

This makes it somewhat difficult to set a proper listening level because, perhaps unconsciously, I used distortion at loud levels as a way to determine safe listening levels when using dynamic headphones.

Did anyone else notice this when transitioning to Stax?

I had a notice warning the user about the dangers of volume creep because of distortion free reproduction come with my 2020 and my O2.

On the point though, it is the ability to achieve "drive control" at low volumes which is one of the most important factors to me in a headphone. I listen at volume levels well below what I estimate to be the average and as such there are two things which are of vast importance to me. The first is the ability of a driver to articulate sound detail and tonality at lower volumes, the second is the ability of an amplifier to control a driver as well as possible. If anything, it is the amplifier that is more important in this regard as the end aim of any amp should be the most utterly totalitarian control over its load as physically possible. This control is at its most important at lower volume levels because sound often requires a certain volume level in order to "bloom". This is the point at which the driver has achieved "drive". This is important not just for low level listeners like me but for the reproduction of any music with proper dynamic range. The amp should have control enough to reproduce the quiet sounds without skipping anything and the headroom to provide the squirts of power for a 10dB cannon shot. Its not just about output wattage, its about the grip that those watts have.

Planar headphones are inherently better than moving coil designs in the first regard and meaty amps with large power supplies and good reserves of output energy into variable loads are best in the second regard.

The Ergo AMT from a Pass Labs power amp and the SR-202 from the SRM-717 are the best combinations that I have heard for achieving this balance of factors. The O2 and 717 sounds better even though it needs more power because its a better transducer, so it will only get even more better (is that an overadjectification?) (is that even a word?) with a better amp behind it. I also believe that I can do better in terms of amplification for the AMT too.

There has been much talk regarding amplification for the K1000 over the years on head-fi as well, because the driver in the K1000 is such a tough load it takes an amplifier with some real gonads to get it to behave itself. Any headphone that meets the category of difficult load (the O2, AMT, K1000 I have already mentioned but the R10, HD414, H2 are others) really does need an amp which is utterly disciplinarian and can bring them into line in order to get the best from them.

May 14, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #6,692 of 24,807
Quote:

Now that I've had my Stax for a few weeks, I've noticed a phenomenon. No matter how loud I turn the volume up, the headphones never distort or become harsh to listen to.

This makes it somewhat difficult to set a proper listening level because, perhaps unconsciously, I used distortion at loud levels as a way to determine safe listening levels when using dynamic headphones.

Oh yes, big time. It's not just the absense of distortion but the lower tactile impact. Both are cues that help you gauge volume and are very hard to come by on a good 'stat. On top of that, if you don't have any kind of serious peaks that can cause any harshness at high volume, then it is even more difficult to gauge listening volume.

I pretty much gave myself tinnitus blasting the SR-001 at far louder levels than I thought.

I didn't have this when I went with dynamics, but now with the O2 it's a big problem again, doubly so since its sound signature just begs you to crank it. The VP-20/SRD-7 Pro combo will drive it very, very loud, and it has yet to clip or distort in any way.

Not that this is, by any means, a bad problem to have
redface.gif

I also agree on the lower general listening volume with 'stats. The seem to open up dynamically much earlier than dynamics, and microdetail is much more clearly audible.

May 15, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #6,693 of 24,807
I just got some spritzer frankenphones by way of blessingx. They're SR-X drivers in an Alpha pro shell. These things really pump out the bass and are incredibly sensitive. spritzer, I was wondering how these compare to an SR-X and to a Lambda normal bias. I can't imagine that the Lambda's produce much more bass than these do.

May 15, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #6,694 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got some spritzer frankenphones by way of blessingx. They're SR-X drivers in an Alpha pro shell. These things really pump out the bass and are incredibly sensitive. spritzer, I was wondering how these compare to an SR-X and to a Lambda normal bias. I can't imagine that the Lambda's produce much more bass than these do.

Lambda has more bass.
biggrin.gif
I have SR-Gamma and SR-Lambda and trust me Lambda as more bass and it extends deeper.

May 15, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #6,695 of 24,807
Quote:

Yes. When I bought my first Stax Lambdas in 1983, the box contained a lengthy notice/warning from the Tokyo Surgeon General. It pointed out the dangers of playing too loud due to the lack of distortion, that would normally work as a restraint on volume level.

Kind regards

May 15, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #6,697 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lambda has more bass.
biggrin.gif
I have SR-Gamma and SR-Lambda and trust me Lambda as more bass and it extends deeper.

The Lambdas do produce more bass than the normal bias SR-X and Gamma, the Pro drivers, however, are another matter. My Pro driver FrankenStax produces more bass, goes as deep but more impact and solidity than the Lambdas.
icon10.gif

May 15, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #6,698 of 24,807
Today naamanf and I were having a mini-meet at my house, and we agreed the SR-Lambda and SR-Lambda Signature have great bass, and we both thought they sound better than all my dynamic headphones (or his ATH-W5000). We both liked the HE60 a little better because of the improved transparency, but we both really missed the bass of the Lambdas when listening to the HE60.

Unfortunately, one of my HE60 drivers is taking two hours to charge each time I go to use it, so I have to send them off to Sennheiser for replacing, but they want me to send my amp with it. I wrote back and said this problem happens with two different SRM-1 Mk2 Pro, and it doesn't happen with my STAX headphones on these amps - so I offered to to send an HEV70 with no AC adapter (or with the 230vAC), and I am waiting to hear back from them now.

The cost of repairs will be $255.82 for matched drivers + $80/hr + Shipping both ways. The seller very generously refunded enough money to pay for the repairs, without my asking him to. Now that is a class act and a great head-fier.

May 15, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #6,699 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sta...1000-a-324785/

Do you guys think that the STAX is a good consolation for a lack of K1000?

Strongly considering a 2050

Yes, and for a lot less cash if you buy second hand. I don't know whether you'd prefer the Lambda or SR-X type sound. I like the SR-X over the Lambda. A slightly modded SR-X Mk3 is on a par with the K1000 for me.

I have the SR-X, Gamma, Lambda, Smegma Pro (frankenStax) and 2 K1000s. The K1000 isn't at the top of that list
wink.gif

May 15, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #6,700 of 24,807
Quote:

After playing for 2 days straight, the Playback 70 is now working well. It's slightly harder to drive than my SR-5. The big problem is very rolled off bass. I'm listening to Jaco Pastorius right now and it sounds like he's playing guitar
frown.gif
Can stats be damped like orthos? The mids and highs are nice, but I'd like more bass.

Did you ever determine which drivers this thing uses? Is it another SR-3 variant?

Anyway, yes, you can damp 'stats, but you need something much less dense than the felt you've been using. Mostly, as Spritzer said earlier, you see "biscuits" of mineral wool (fiberglass-like stuff, very fluffy) in 'stats. Don't think damping will help the bass much, though. The problem is more likely to be those gigantic tall earpads and the resulting big earcup volume the driver "sees".

May 15, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #6,701 of 24,807
Quote:

The Lambdas certainly have more bass volume though it is constrained compared to some of the later variants. A normal bias SR-X isn't bass heavy by any meaning of the word but the SR-X Pro's are a different matter altogether.

May 15, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #6,702 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and for a lot less cash if you buy second hand. I don't know whether you'd prefer the Lambda or SR-X type sound. I like the SR-X over the Lambda. A slightly modded SR-X Mk3 is on a par with the K1000 for me.

I have the SR-X, Gamma, Lambda, Smegma Pro (frankenStax) and 2 K1000s. The K1000 isn't at the top of that list
wink.gif

To my ears SR-X is very unpleasant sounding
eek.gif
(claustrophobic soundstage, thin brittle sound and huge bass roll off) and both Gamma and Lambda are very nice. I cannot imagine anyone liking SR-X more than Lambda. You are the first one who I see saying that.
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #6,703 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears SR-X is very unpleasant sounding
eek.gif
(claustrophobic soundstage, thin brittle sound and huge bass roll off) and both Gamma and Lambda are very nice. I cannot imagine anyone liking SR-X more than Lambda. You are the first one who I see saying that.
biggrin.gif

I've never been a huge fan of the normal bias SR-X but the Pro model is a huge upgrade and one of the most enjoyable phones I have. Better then any of the Lambdas.
eek.gif
wink.gif

May 15, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #6,704 of 24,807
I sold my SR 303 after I got the SR-X and Gamma Pro as I far prefer the vintage ones to the 303. The two vintage Stax are on equal status to me as as I rotate them whenever I listen to headphones. The SR-X surely doesn't have thin brittle sound though. It is one of the most midrangy headphones in my collection.

scompton, you have a Gamma normal equivalent in your hands. The Gamma Pro has the more bass even compared to Sennheiser HD600 on a Gilmore dynamic amp.

May 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #6,705 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never been a huge fan of the normal bias SR-X but the Pro model is a huge upgrade and one of the most enjoyable phones I have. Better then any of the Lambdas.
eek.gif
wink.gif

I highly doubt that for me that would be the case, since the soundstage would still suck and the basic nature of the headphones I imagine would still be intact.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back