The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #4,306 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you going to switch between 4.7 and 5m? That would be totally unnecessary but a 5m in series with the 4.7 would be good for non Stax phones.

ya, that's what I meant. 4.7M in series without and then ~10M in series with the switch. just a thought, as I have a switch there why not use it for something.

Nov 27, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #4,307 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ya, that's what I meant. 4.7M in series without and then ~10M in series with the switch. just a thought, as I have a switch there why not use it for something.

Well since it is there....
biggrin.gif

You could notice some difference but I'm not sure just how much. I usually solder everything in so comparisons are hard to come by and you have to totally clear the diaphragm of any charge before you can compare...

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #4,308 of 24,807
Quote:

Well since it is there....
biggrin.gif

You could notice some difference but I'm not sure just how much. I usually solder everything in so comparisons are hard to come by and you have to totally clear the diaphragm of any charge before you can compare...

scratch that. It will have to be 5M / 10M, as I cannot get any 4.7M high voltage resistors.

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #4,309 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to build a bias supply anyway (just signed up to Digikey tonight actually) and would be keen to try myself, but there's no sign of any Q series converters on Ebay nor can I find any retailers using Google. No sign of any more E series models either actually, it looks like you guys have cornered the market on them.
biggrin.gif

I will have some left over when it's all said and done. Holler at me and I'll put your name on one
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #4,310 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got lucky with an SR-001 Mk2 off eBay, it's just turned up in the post and my initial impressions are:

a) it's tiny! (I'd only ever seen pictures, so was shocked at how small the combo is and how light the parcel was: I thought the seller had forgotten to put them in!)

b) sound is great: very different from the Lambdas (modern) and the SR-X/SR-5s (old) but still with that basic lovely Stax clean-ness.

c) comfort! (once I'd prised them out of the vice-like grip of the headband and just stuck them in my ears, I can forget they're there! Unlike the others, which have varying degrees of discomfort after a time... )

These are SO good! And portable! (Not that I'm off to Death Valley any day soon: Ashdown Forest more like!)

Now I'll have to start thinking about one of those adapters that APureSound makes, just to see what the S-001s sound like driven by a bigger amp!

Just bend the metal band for comfort.

Nov 27, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #4,311 of 24,807
Quote:

My amp was built by Headamp with every upgrade available at the time. It needs an upgrade quite badly but I always have some other project I'm working on...

What type of upgrades? I am currently in the process of building a BH and was wondering what can really be done to max it out.

Nov 27, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #4,312 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
scratch that. It will have to be 5M / 10M, as I cannot get any 4.7M high voltage resistors.

I've used all types of resistors for the bleeder and never had any problems even with cheap carbon pieces of crap. This it's better to be safe then sorry as this small, cheap parts keeps both you and the phones safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type of upgrades? I am currently in the process of building a BH and was wondering what can really be done to max it out.

When I bought mine I was young a stupid and didn't even have a bit of the knowledge I have now about components so the amp is pretty far from ideal. It has Vampire silver wire and Black Gate caps so a complete overhaul is in order. The ultimate upgrade would be to use a dual mono tube rectified psu with no regulation, massive chokes and PIO caps but that would be about 4 times the size of the amp and use a whole lot more power.

A more realistic way would be to start with quality silver wiring on every thing, the best connectors and as few extra connections as you can do, so no switches or other degrading things. Use the best volume control you can afford so a RK50 or a Shalco unit loaded with AN tantalums or Rikens. Use said resistors instead of the metal film stuff as they are good budget choices but have no place in the cost no object part of the world. The PSU is a more trouble some subject but I would start off with better transformer, something like a nice R-core from one of the major Japanese manufacturers and you could even put in a dual mono unit but there are certainly better PSU's out there though they will be much, much more expensive.

Nov 28, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #4,313 of 24,807
I'm not even going to touch the power supply of things for a while.

I am on the fence of what to do for volume control. Do you think it is beneficial to have have independent L/R volume control? I would prefer to have a single volume knob. I was thinking DACT, Twisted Pear Joshua Tree, or possibly no volume control at all. Do all volume from pre-amp or DAC.

Nov 28, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #4,314 of 24,807
Quote:

you could even put in a dual mono unit but there are certainly better PSU's out there though they will be much, much more expensive.

I don't know, like maybe dual Plitron toroids?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #4,315 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not even going to touch the power supply of things for a while.

I am on the fence of what to do for volume control. Do you think it is beneficial to have have independent L/R volume control? I would prefer to have a single volume knob. I was thinking DACT, Twisted Pear Joshua Tree, or possibly no volume control at all. Do all volume from pre-amp or DAC.

If you plan on having earspeakers with a large sound stage, ex. Sigma, I would suggest having independent volume control to keep things that were recorded off-center in the center of your head.

With Lambdas I would choose just a single volume control for ease of use.

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #4,320 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats about £68 at the current exchange rate. Pretty good price.

Exactly my thought.
I've found $180 in a drawer last weekend.
I never looked at it this way before but take one of those greenbacks and inspect it thoroughly.It doesn't look and feel like real money.More like play money ......
very_evil_smiley.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back