The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #4,141 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are my thoughts also. I plan to talk to the Stax USA distributor today. If my 007's are fully discharged they come up to about 95% in less than 10 minutes. I also want to know what the reaction has been by other people.

Keep us posted if you can. The SR-007 does take a couple of hours to be 100% charged if it has been sitting for months though it can vary.

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #4,142 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Inflation of classic phones continues.

A low bias Sigma just closed on Ebay for $256.23, in spite of the warnings foam is deterioated and " have no way of testing these."

I was able to get a good functioning unit, with a neat cardboard display, last year for $125.00.

Of course there are only a limited number out there.

A near-mint pair of Lambda Pros closed at around $230, the lowest I've seen in quite a while.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #4,143 of 24,807
Wow.

I got my Lambda Pro for $500 and Sigma Pro for $650. Booo...
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #4,144 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A near-mint pair of Lambda Pros closed at around $230, the lowest I've seen in quite a while.

Was it a Lambda Pro or Pro Classic? There is a huge difference between those two though I prefer the Spirit/Classic.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #4,145 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thats a good deal!
I paid $270 for my second pair some months back. Mounted new earpads and they now look almost as new.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #4,146 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If my 007's are fully discharged they come up to about 95% in less than 10 minutes

Can someone explain what does that mean ???
blink.gif

I have a pair of SR-007 and I don't see how they could "discharged" themselves. I just plugged them in and they work... Anything I don't understand ? Are we talking about the amp or the headphones ?

Thanks

Pierre

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #4,147 of 24,807
So I finally bit the bullet and bought a used pair of 02s. I also have a Blue Hawaii in the works to provide them with some good power. Really look forward to joining the club
lambda.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #4,148 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Petyot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif

I have a pair of SR-007 and I don't see how they could "discharged" themselves. I just plugged them in and they work... Anything I don't understand ? Are we talking about the amp or the headphones ?

We are talking about the headphones.
They discharge themselves if put away (not connected to bias supply) for a while. Or if you touch the bias pin on the plug. The next time you plug them in the bias need to charge up before they perform at their best level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I finally bit the bullet and bought a used pair of 02s. I also have a Blue Hawaii in the works to provide them with some good power. Really look forward to joining the club
lambda.gif

Great move!
Welcome to the club.
lambda.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #4,149 of 24,807
Quote:

blink.gif

Thanks

Pierre

The headphones are large capacitors and they loose their charge when they sit unused for some time. It takes awhile for the phones to become fully charged again due to the resistance in the diaphragm and the bleeder resistors that controls the bias flow.

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #4,150 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lambda.gif

Thanks Naaman.

It was a bittersweet moment to pass the torch on to you. I hope you enjoy them.

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #4,151 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are talking about the headphones.
They discharge themselves if put away (not connected to bias supply) for a while. Or if you touch the bias pin on the plug. The next time you plug them in the bias need to charge up before they perform at their best level.

krmathis and spritzer : thanks for your answer. I will go to bed less stupid tonight...
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #4,152 of 24,807
Quote:

krmathis and spritzer : thanks for your answer. I will go to bed less stupid tonight...
wink.gif

Excellent!
Just happy to pass on the knowledge I have previously picked up from this forum.
lambda.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #4,153 of 24,807
Got notice that my new job will start soon, so, as planned, I ordered the SRS-2050II from elusivedisc! If it ships tomorrow, it could get here Friday or Saturday (through U.S. Postal Service, 2 to 3 day shipping), otherwise probably Monday at the latest. I'll have at least a whole week of (mostly) free time to enjoy the headphones before I start my new work, this is perfect timing! I cannot wait to hear my first electrostatic headphones!
lambda.gif

Will post first-and-way-too-early-to-be-accurate impressions within an hour of first using it (something I do with every new headphone I get). I realize that they need time to warm up to sound their best - even after burn-in - but as with every headphone I've purchased, I'm not going to let these 202s create sound without my being around to hear them.

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #4,154 of 24,807
A quick question....... I have a Head-amp built Blue Hawaii with an always on bias. I just measured the bias voltage with the amp off and it is reading 380 VDC, shouldn't this be more like 560 to 580 VDC?

Spritzer, I think you have a nearly identical amp to mine, can you instruct me how to change that voltage? I looked on the bias board in the amp and don't see an adjustment there, am I missing something?

I'll send an e-mail to Justin but thought I might get a quicker answer here.

Thanks
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #4,155 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A quick question....... I have a Head-amp built Blue Hawaii with an always on bias. I just measured the bias voltage with the amp off and it is reading 380 VDC, shouldn't this be more like 560 to 580 VDC?

Spritzer, I think you have a nearly identical amp to mine, can you instruct me how to change that voltage? I looked on the bias board in the amp and don't see an adjustment there, am I missing something?

I'll send an e-mail to Justin but thought I might get a quicker answer here.

Thanks
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

How did you measure it? If you went from the socket to ground then the reading will be off unless you used a VTVM. The bias is an open circuit so if you connect to ground after the bleeder resistor it alters the reading. You have to measure before the last resistor and to the 0v point on the transformer.

Since you have the always-on bias then you have an extra board inside the amp with a small transformer on the end and a bunch of blue box capacitors. The other bias supply borrows from the HV+ line so that's most likely not used. It's at the back of the main PSU board and consists of a 2 blue box caps, a variable resistor, a couple of diodes and resistor. I can teach you how to calibrate that one but the other, freestanding one I've never seen so I wouldn't risk it. They are basically the same but it's better to be safe then sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back