The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #3,871 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question for thous who have SR-Lambda (or Pro, 303, 404) and SRM1/MK-2, when you listen at your regular critical listening volume, what position is your volume knob in, 11, 12 or something else?

About 10 o'clock, which is a bit higher than with the SRM-007t.
Using Lambda Pro's with an SRM-1/MK2.

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #3,873 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Spritzer. I scored a SRD-7 Pro recently - had to give up an SRXIII to get it, but to me it was worth it. I got some very nice silver interconnects in the deal as well. The other party is pleased as well.

Great to hear that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is no leak, 0.01uF is probably plenty good enough. My multi-voltage bias board has 0.02uF/1000V for the high bias, there is no hum at all and after I unplug the AC supply the phones will still play for 15 minutes before the sound level start to go down slightly, .

There is very little leak but some phones demand more bias then others. It depends on the spacing and the coating material used.

I think mine hums like crazy because I built it so small. It's basically a carbon copy of the schematic to show how easy it is to build one of these. I'll also have to try it with the transformers active.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question for thous who have SR-Lambda (or Pro, 303, 404) and SRM1/MK-2, when you listen at your regular critical listening volume, what position is your volume knob in, 11, 12 or something else?

The level is always dependent on your source but from 9-12 is normal.

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #3,874 of 24,807
By the way, does anyone have an opinion on how the Lambda Sig and the Nova Sig compare?
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #3,876 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound pretty different from each other. The Signature is crisp and upfront while the Nova is more laid back and could be considered boring by comparison but both are great phones.

Oh, very interesting. Thank goodness I got both then so I can compare.
tongue.gif

Thanks again!

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #3,877 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Thanks again!

See, Venio is so nice and friendly.

The other guy, on the other hand...

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #3,878 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, Venio is so nice and friendly.
The other guy, on the other hand...

Wait, is the other guy particularly less friendly than the typical member in his neighborhood?
tongue.gif

It's okay, it's okay; don't worry. He's actually quite friendly despite his terse remarks and lack of smiley usage.
wink.gif
If he isn't, let me know and I'll teach him a lesson.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #3,879 of 24,807
Quote:

tongue.gif

Thanks again!

Comparing is half the fun. I like the Signature more but that is mainly due to me loathing the newer arc assembly.

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #3,881 of 24,807
Thanks for the PM's, kind words, and sound advise (pun intended) for my O2 channel imbalance issue and recommended US dealer.

In the first few seconds of playing the right channel is ok and then within 1 minute very smoothly slips lower in volume to the point that four clicks higher on the right side of my Blue Hawaii will even them out.

So.....

1. Seek out another amp to test phones either at head-fi meet or dealer.

2. Inquire about out of warranty repair.

3. Purchase O2 mk3 because I'm an early adopter and can't help myself.

If #3 turns out to be the chosen option, report back here on findings.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #3,882 of 24,807
Quote:

Lower arc assembly? What do you mean?
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Venio

They changed the arc (Stax lingo for headband) with the Nova series and i don't like it all that much. I doesn't extend as much and has a higher clamping force.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the PM's, kind words, and sound advise (pun intended) for my O2 channel imbalance issue and recommended US dealer.

In the first few seconds of playing the right channel is ok and then within 1 minute very smoothly slips lower in volume to the point that four clicks higher on the right side of my Blue Hawaii will even them out.

So.....

1. Seek out another amp to test phones either at head-fi meet or dealer.

2. Inquire about out of warranty repair.

3. Purchase O2 mk3 because I'm an early adopter and can't help myself.

If #3 turns out to be the chosen option, report back here on findings.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Sounds like a bias leak. Could be due to a short in the cable or the driver. What happens if you unplug the phones, short the pins on the plug and plug it back in does it behave in the same way? It's not likely to be the amp as the bias is shared so both earpieces would be the same. The phones haven't suffered any shocks in their lifetime?

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #3,883 of 24,807
Shock like being forced to play Britney Spear's new album or electric shock?

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #3,885 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally posted by spritzer
Sounds like a bias leak. Could be due to a short in the cable or the driver. What happens if you unplug the phones, short the pins on the plug and plug it back in does it behave in the same way? It's not likely to be the amp as the bias is shared so both earpieces would be the same. The phones haven't suffered any shocks in their lifetime?

They have seen a lot of use but have been babied, they did make it through a head-fi meet a year ago where it was discovered that the elastic in the head band had worn out near the cups, this was corrected through surgery.

I unplugged the phones, shorted the pins, turned everything back on, and..........so far they have played perfectly for 25 Minutes! Could they be healed through the power of Head-fi and spritzer mojo??
blink.gif

Considering they were just shorted they sound great, makes me wonder about the always on bias.

Thanks spritzer
icon10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back