Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #3,631 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow long post...
tongue.gif

He he

Quote:

You can stop being envious by buying them...
wink.gif

Sure! But at $600 (or something) I don't think so...

Quote:

It looks like you could be out of luck as the last I heard only one was left.

Just what I was afraid of.
Thats the problem with limited edition amplifier, like the KGBH SE and Aristaeus. They are sold out before they even are released...
Potential customer don't even have the time to see the end product before its too late. A shame really!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Some of the cable companies do it but I "know a guy".

Thanks! Reminds me that RSAD (our fellow IC manufacturer) perform cryo treatment on their cables, and they might be helpful if its turns out that its a worthy modification.

Quote:

They also have warranty issues and other problem that they don't want to deal with.

That too...

Quote:

The one I saw was called "Joplin" and has a 3 tube input stage and a DHT based output stage that can take 2a3's, 45's and 300b's. It isn't a good amp by any means but it costs 600$+shipping complete and it's easy to upgrade it with better wire, connectors and caps. You can have it ready built with the upgrades but I don't know if they'll add the Stax output...

If we connect a capacitor to the output of each tube (before the primary) and create a reference to ground with a few resistors between each pair of tubes we have a Stax amp. All we need to do is to turn off the output transformers when the phones are in use.

I'll Google "Joplin" and see what I find.
"Anything" is worth looking into these days, as I am desperate in need of a more suitable amplifier than the 007t.

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #3,632 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Removing the dampening material in the SR-Lambda opens it up? How do I do this? Just pop it open and dig it out? lol

I really don't want to mess it up so lmk if this is at all dangerous b/c I am prone to destruction.

In each of the four corners, underneath the earpads, you find a small screw. Unscrew and separate the front plate from the housing, then remove the damping material. Then mount the front panel again.

I have one Lambda Pro with damping and one without damping. They sound a bit different, but I have spend too little time comparing them to pinpoint exactly what's different.

Quote:

Woot!! Just got the 4070.
icon10.gif
Man they are heavy and big but still smaller then a Sigma. Now on to some listening...
lambda.gif

Nice!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really regretting buying my lambdas. For the last few days I have been looking at all of my stuff trying to figure out what I could sell to get an OII...

So upgradeitis have bit you as well..? he he

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #3,633 of 24,807
Quote:

This one is the right diameter.

I'm sorry to say, that is NOT the right diameter for the WPI stax-style plugs. It's more appropriate for a mains power plug, just like the other WPI hoods in that section.

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #3,635 of 24,807
I suspect that it does not exist. I couldn't find anything that looked appropriate in WPI's catalog.

Edit: I suppose that one of us could actually call WPI and ask them what the big idea is. I suspect that the answer will be something like "Well when we bought the tooling from Amphenol, the mold wasn't there."

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #3,636 of 24,807
Quote:

I don't like the Pro's at all. The bass is uneven and the recessed midrange is very annoying. The SC1 is a much better headphone and my first impressions of the 4070 are pretty good.

Yes, with the different housing those drivers sound very different. Unless I'm mistaken too the SC1 is looking very much like a FOTM currently.
lambda.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #3,637 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect that it does not exist. I couldn't find anything that looked appropriate in WPI's catalog.

Edit: I suppose that one of us could actually call WPI and ask them what the big idea is. I suspect that the answer will be something like "Well when we bought the tooling from Amphenol, the mold wasn't there."

What can be used as a cover? I want something protecting the wires with lots of volts running through them..
blink.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #3,638 of 24,807
I'd use some nice 600v shrink. On my Koss converter, I don't think it's really nescessary, perhaps for aesthetics ... we'll see.

What are you doing exactly? I have some spare teflon-coated 6-conductor wire from a Koss extension cable if you're interested.

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #3,640 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure! But at $600 (or something) I don't think so...

Just buy it used if you can find it. 650$ for the SC1 and a T1W...
wink.gif

Quote:

Just what I was afraid of.
Thats the problem with limited edition amplifier, like the KGBH SE and Aristaeus. They are sold out before they even are released...
Potential customer don't even have the time to see the end product before its too late. A shame really!
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's still a smart move for Justin as he's not going to sell a whole lot more then this.

Quote:

Thanks! Reminds me that RSAD (our fellow IC manufacturer) perform cryo treatment on their cables, and they might be helpful if its turns out that its a worthy modification.

I'm sure thy would be willing to do it but I think the 4070 is out. It doesn't need to be more mellow but I'm game for a SR-007.

Quote:

I'll Google "Joplin" and see what I find.
"Anything" is worth looking into these days, as I am desperate in need of a more suitable amplifier than the 007t.

Google of all things isn't working for me right now as there is something wrong with my connection but I'll post a link as soon as I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry to say, that is NOT the right diameter for the WPI stax-style plugs. It's more appropriate for a mains power plug, just like the other WPI hoods in that section.

That sucks but I did find a suitable cover in my parts box. The covers for the German speaker connectors (a spade and a pin) that was used in the 60's and 70's. A few drops of superglue holds it well and it looks great under the heatshrink.

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #3,641 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am planing to get parts to have a koss to Stax adapter made. I want to get Koss extension cord and Stax plug. Ed was kind enough to give me a pin out.

I have a stock Koss extension cable and the male Stax plugs I would be willing to sell. PM me an offer on what you want.

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #3,642 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold my bass heavy K340 after extensive comparisons to SR-Lambda and MB QP85. I like K340 a lot, but it has a few very annoying things about it's sound. It sounds slightly muddy and boomy in the mid bass and midrange is pushed forward. The final thing that put me off were strange echo and resonance things happening on some records. It sounded very very good with rock and electronic music. I listed to some Zappa recently and it sounded better than SR-Lambda, more involving and guitar was just incredibly rich and dynamic. The soundstage was also smallish and bass resolution was pretty bad, although it had a lot of impact. SR-Lambda somewhat sounded thin and brittle in direct comparison, but so much more resolving still.

I think I will still need a pair of headphones for rock similar to my bass heavy K340. But I need to find a pair without the resonance issues.
blink.gif

My pair is bass-light, and sounds very different from what you describe. It has very slightly better detail than the SR-404, and much sharper, more precise imaging. In terms of tonal balance, it is a tad brighter overall but much more linear, without the SR-404's upper midrange peak; if anything, there is a slight lower-midrange emphasis that gives a bit more harmonic saturation to the sound. The bass is tight and punchy, but doesn't extend very deep, in fact, next to the SR-404, it is missing quite a bit of deep bass information. The treble isn't quite as extended either, but it is more linear without the SR-404's lower treble peak. It is also snappier and crisper; the cymbals sound harsher and less velvety than the SR-404, but at the same time more textured and realistic. Cymbals should sound harsh and biting, at least on music that is properly recorded, but you should also hear the initial hit as well as the reverberation, together with any room reflections/interactions in the recording environment. This is evident on both systems, but on the SR-404 it feels insubstantial and lacking in impact; on the K340 it is harsher but more "right."

But most of all, it's the K340's midrange that wins it for me, or rather, it's the SR-404's midrange that loses it. The SR-404's midrange is peaky and uneven, the tone and tembre are unnatural and instruments are lacking body and presense. On the K340, tone and tembre are much more correct, tone color is much more saturated, and body and heft are much more present. It simply sounds more accurate and more live.

Let's put it another way: the SR-404 is like looking at a very detailed hologram; nice, but you can see that it is transparent. The K340 is like looking at the object when it is clearly and brightly lit (though not brightly lit in the sense that it desaturates colors); it is thrown into sharper relief than you would perhaps hear it live, but at the same time it is physically there and present.

Another comparison that I could make would be this: the SR-404 is like an image that is a bit out of focus; all of the detail is there but the edges are smudged, and minute detail is harder to see. The overall picture is softer, and while it still looks lifelike to some extent the last degree of realism is lost. The K340, on the other hand, snaps the picture clearly into focus, and it becomes lifelike enough that you can suspend disbelief and prentend that you're looking at the real thing, which you can't do as well with the SR-404. Also, the SR-404's tone color is clearly wrong, and is colder than it should be in real life; the K340's color is a bit oversaturated and a bit warmer, but both effects are pleasant and subtle colorations, unlike the SR-404's one, and don't detract from the realism, but add to the overall enjoyment.

As far as the soundstage goes, the SR-404 has a bigger one to be sure. However, its diffuse imaging hurts it in comparison to the K340, which manages to pack much more dimensional information into a somewhat smaller space.

Anyway, the important bit here is that different K340's don't sound alike, and I've heard one that has the tonal balance of an HD650 (while mine has a tonal balance that's more Grado-like if anything). It didn't have anywhere near the detail level of my pair, nor the treble extension, instrument separation, and imaging precision, and though many fundamental aspects of the sound were the same (it still sounded like a K340) it was a very different animal - full, bassy, overly warm, and impactful.

Quote:

I could never live with the HEV90 in stock form. It takes a good headphone down a couple of notches just by bad engineering and parts quality. The sound is so diffused and it seemed like I was listening to a blob of sound with very few spatial cues. I believe the HEV90 has some promise in the Aristaeus form and I'm going to buy or build one and upgrade it.

Interesting. I would have to say that spatial cues were in fact one of the biggest strengths of the system that I heard. Not only was it able to project instruments in space correctly relative to one another, but it was also able to correctly portray the size of the recording environment i.e. a concert hall. I could literally close my eyes and the illusion of being in a real concert hall was more complete than it was on any other system that I've heard before or since.

As far as the diffuse quality of the sound - that to me is a characteristic of electrostatic drivers in general, and I didn't hear an electrostatic system yet that didn't suffer from it to some degree. Stats can portray spatial cues well, and they can image well, but image crispness and specificity is not one of their strengths, at least compared to dynamics and strangely enough balanced armatures.

[Edit: I should, of course, add that I haven't heard anywhere near the scope of all the electrostatic headphones available, and if in fact there ARE stats that don't suffer from this problem, it will greatly elevate my opinion of electrostatic drivers. But, I'll believe it when I hear it (and hopefully "when", and not "if").]

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #3,643 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I would have to say that spatial cues were in fact one of the biggest strengths of the system that I heard. Not only was it able to project instruments in space correctly relative to one another, but it was also able to correctly portray the size of the recording environment i.e. a concert hall. I could literally close my eyes and the illusion of being in a real concert hall was more complete than it was on any other system that I've heard before or since.

As far as the diffuse quality of the sound - that to me is a characteristic of electrostatic drivers in general, and I didn't hear an electrostatic system yet that didn't suffer from it to some degree. Stats can portray spatial cues well, and they can image well, but image crispness and specificity is not one of their strengths, at least compared to dynamics and strangely enough balanced armatures.

[Edit: I should, of course, add that I haven't heard anywhere near the scope of all the electrostatic headphones available, and if in fact there ARE stats that don't suffer from this problem, it will greatly elevate my opinion of electrostatic drivers. But, I'll believe it when I hear it (and hopefully "when", and not "if").]

The spatial cues are impressive if you haven't spent an enormous time with the SR-007 in a good, well matched system. In comparison then the He90 soundstage is overblown and doesn't resize with the venue or the recording. It's always big no matter what and it's impossible to pin point anything as as the whole stage is a blur. Voices are much larger then life for instance. What they really lack is the depth and layering both omegas can pull off. Performers can be two rows down and the He90 can't spot it while the O1 and O2 can.

Then there is the upper midrange harshness and the thin bass, that while extended gets confused easily. It's a great headphone but it's certainly not the best.

Now I'm off to try and set my self on fire by plugging in the SRA-3S amp I've been restoring. Wish me luck...
blink.gif
eek.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #3,645 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good luck!

Thanks for that as it looks like it did the trick. It's alive after a little cleaning and sounds pretty good. It has had a rough life but I hasn't been used much as the original tubes are still like new. They are Toshiba so Stax did use them to design the T1 circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back