The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #2,596 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of the Lambda pads are listed as gray so it's probably a copy/paste error.

Well, I just placed an order for the following goods:
  1. 3 x SR-202 replacement pads
  2. 2 x SR-X/MK3 replacement pads
  3. 2 x CPC-1 (protection cover)
Quote:

I ordered the Sr-007 pads from them a few years back and they were brown not black like the site says.

Exactly like my experience!
But after I complained and asked for a refund they changed the text from "black" to "brown".
Quote:

Don't pay too much. These things can break down after all...

No fear!
I don't intend to join any of the bidding wars...
cool.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #2,597 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just placed an order for the following goods:
  1. 3 x SR-202 replacement pads
  2. 2 x SR-X/MK3 replacement pads
  3. 2 x CPC-1 (protection cover)

That reminds me I need to order some more pads because I didn't buy enough. You didn't include one SR-003 in while you were at it? Great little headphones and sound very good out of the Blue Hawaii...
tongue.gif

Quote:

No fear!
I don't intend to join any of the bidding wars...
cool.gif

Good, because we really don't need another Lambda Pro or SR-X Mk3.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #2,598 of 24,807
Quote:

You didn't include one SR-003 in while you were at it? Great little headphones and sound very good out of the Blue Hawaii...
tongue.gif

Well, you obviously read my mind.
Cause I stopped by the SR-003. But went on without it, since I remember the discomfort I experienced with the S-001 MKII. In addition the incoming 4070 should keep me occupied for a while...
lambda.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #2,599 of 24,807
Quote:

Well, you obviously read my mind.
Cause I stopped by the SR-003. But went on without it, since I remember the discomfort I experienced with the S-001 MKII. In addition the incoming 4070 should keep me occupied for a while...
lambda.gif

Nahh no mind reading here, just the common Stax addict sixth sense.
lambda.gif
There are comfort issues with them but with the medium pads, and the headband they work for me. Had to bend the headband quite a bit though.

I really want a 4070 but a source upgrade is calling me. The G08's drive is pretty much broken and I can't take the crappy dvd-rom drive any more so I want some thing better and much better built, like an Esoteric or and Accuphase. Mmmmm VRDS-Neo...
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #2,600 of 24,807
Quote:

Nahh no mind reading here, just the common Stax addict sixth sense.
lambda.gif
There are comfort issues with them but with the medium pads, and the headband they work for me. Had to bend the headband quite a bit though.

I might pick up the SR-003 one day, caause I liked their sound signature. They are quite fun headphones, especially considering their small physical size.
Quote:

I really want a 4070 but a source upgrade is calling me. The G08's drive is pretty much broken and I can't take the crappy dvd-rom drive any more so I want some thing better and much better built, like an Esoteric or and Accuphase. Mmmmm VRDS-Neo...
tongue.gif

I hear you.
A great source is very important, so you sure have got your priorities right. You can always buy the 4070 longer down the road.

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #2,602 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I understand this correctly: there are people on this thread who DON'T have a record player?!

You mean "Record player" as in CD player or turntable? Lots of us run computer based rigs, if that counts?

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #2,603 of 24,807
Quote:

I might pick up the SR-003 one day, caause I liked their sound signature. They are quite fun headphones, especially considering their small physical size.

Their biggest plus is the thick (relatively) diaphragm that gives them the same bass snap the SR-Lambda has. They are edgy and uneven but fun and pretty comfortable after some adjustments.

Quote:

I hear you.
A great source is very important, so you sure have got your priorities right. You can always buy the 4070 longer down the road.

True. I'm going to stop upgrading my system for now, clean up the power system, make all the cables I need and buy a new equipment stand or two. I do loose focus quite a bit and buy something new that I don't really need (the 29 electrostatic headphones in this room alone should be proof enough) instead of upgrading my main system. I call it the Head-fi syndrome because I'm not alone in this.
lambda.gif

Quote:

Do I understand this correctly: there are people on this thread who DON'T have a record player?!

Gadzooks!

("Light blue touch paper and stand well back... ")

I have two and I'm buying a new idler to completely rebuild and build a new plinth for but I never use them. I have hundreds of records but I simply can't stand the hassle and I have a tendency to break small delicate things like pickups. I've heard how good (and bad) digital can be and that's the sound I like. Digital has matured enough now that a top end cdp is equal to or even better then a TOTL turntable and costs hell of a lot less. In the end it's all about preference and I prefer digital no matter how many audiophiles try to convert me.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #2,604 of 24,807
Quote:

Gadzooks!

("Light blue touch paper and stand well back... ")

I have 6000 or so CDs and I play almost all of them occasionally.

I used to have about 8000 LPs and most of them were in storage all the time because the difficulty of handling and playing them.

My turntables are in boxes in storage; a turntable is just a nuisance; a CD player is a convenience. I'm thinking of getting a multiCD jukebox player.

So, who do you think has more music, the guy with the CD player or the guy with the turntable?

Your friend from Trollsville,

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #2,605 of 24,807
Quote:

Regarding the contact enhancers I've tried them and they do work to a certain degree but it's a bit like putting a Band-Aid on a bullet wound. The problem is the connectors and the wires behind them so I just use the best available so no enhancer needed.

I realize that this discussion is drifting into the tweak forum, but even Silclear is cheaper by orders of magnitude than expensive cables, i.e. about US$ .01 / application. My best IC's and power cords are about $90.00. I see some that run many times that.

Even if the contact enhancers give only a portion of the benefit of expensive cables they are a great bargain. However, I assume that even the best cables will sound better with a good contact enhancer since there is still the contact issue. So you are not getting the full benefit of your investment in you system if you don't use such tweaks.

In any case, I find that this specific tweak is a cheap way of specifically improving the sound of electrostatic amps and phones.

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #2,606 of 24,807
Quote:

I do loose focus quite a bit and buy something new that I don't really need (the 29 electrostatic headphones in this room alone should be proof enough) instead of upgrading my main system. I call it the Head-fi syndrome because I'm not alone in this.
lambda.gif

Hear hear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre Jute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, who do you think has more music, the guy with the CD player or the guy with the turntable?

But of course, it's the guy with both!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if the contact enhancers give only a portion of the benefit of expensive cables they are a great bargain. However, I assume that even the best cables will sound better with a good contact enhancer since there is still the contact issue. So you are not getting the full benefit of your investment in you system if you don't use such tweaks.

In any case, I find that this specific tweak is a cheap way of specifically improving the sound of electrostatic amps and phones.

Alternatively you could directly solder your components together, which is an even cheaper tweak.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #2,607 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realize that this discussion is drifting into the tweak forum, but even Silclear is cheaper by orders of magnitude than expensive cables, i.e. about US$ .01 / application. My best IC's and power cords are about $90.00. I see some that run many times that.

Cables are expensive, that's for sure, and many audiophile believe the crap they are selling is actually good. Most of the stuff is way overpriced and will harm the sound more then help it but there are a few companies that are selling a good product that works, like Kimber and Kondo for example. Not cheap but they are worth it.

The connectors are a big part of the sound and the same goes for the jacks on the equipment. With lesser connectors the enhancers do help quite bit but with the Eichmann bullets or the WBT NexTgen connectors there isn't much of a difference.

If you should DIY some simple low mass soft silver cables with natural insulation. You'll be amazed at how good they are and while they aren't cheap I haven't yet heard a commercial cable that can beat my DIY's. Even the very good Kimber KS-1130 just sits in it's Pelican case unused.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hear hear.

I think it's something to work on. I'll also have to find a good way to store all of these headphones in a relatively dust free environment where they are easy to get when I want.

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #2,608 of 24,807
Quote:

The connectors are a big part of the sound and the same goes for the jacks on the equipment. With lesser connectors the enhancers do help quite bit but with the Eichmann bullets or the WBT NexTgen connectors there isn't much of a difference.

Slightly off thread topic, but let me ask you guys this: Does anyone else find the WBT Nextgen jacks (copper w/ spiral contacts) ridiculously tight? I'm going through hell trying to swap interconnects on the Esoteric. How in the world do you remove the RCAs without having to use so much force? They sure are expensive, but they're not very convenient... I've basically stopped using the RCA jacks in fear of damaging/scratching the copper contacts and now using the balanced outputs instead
blink.gif

... and btw, placebo or not, balanced sounds better than single ended through my electrostats, so I will stick to balanced for the time being
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #2,609 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slightly off thread topic, but let me ask you guys this: Does anyone else find the WBT Nextgen jacks (copper w/ spiral contacts) ridiculously tight? I'm going through hell trying to swap interconnects on the Esoteric. How in the world do you remove the RCAs without having to use so much force? They sure are expensive, but they're not very convenient... I've basically stopped using the RCA jacks in fear of damaging/scratching the copper contacts and now using the balanced outputs instead
blink.gif

... and btw, placebo or not, balanced sounds better than single ended through my electrostats, so I will stick to balanced for the time being
wink.gif

They are really tight and they can take a lot of beating. There are some RCA connectors that don't work very well with them but they should be avoided on sonic grounds alone. The newer minimal conducting mass models work just fine.

I bet they sound better balanced because Esoteric sources are designed to be used balanced and electrostats are push-pull by nature.

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #2,610 of 24,807
I just wanted to chime in regarding the SR-202 pads. I've spent the last few hours putting on new pads on most of my collection and the SR-202 pads are indeed the same pads that the Lambda Pro's were shipped with about 25 years ago. The new pads are softer then the set on my nearly NOS Pro's but that is probably just due to the vinyl aging. The construction is the same while the original SR-Lambda pads were slightly different with the foam glued onto the baffle instead of being sown in between the vinyl back of the pads and the foam inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back