The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #2,536 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted much earlier on in this thread to see if anyone knew how to hold 10 AAs (= LR-6s) together so I could use my re-chargeable 1.2v NiMH batteries (which would also make the system [trans]portable!), but got no replies.

I couldn't find any battery holders to hold 10x or 12x AA rechargable for powering (12V) or overvolting (14.4V) an MR16 bike light I built. First I used the 14.4 battery off my rechargable drill but that was heavy. Then I glued three 4xAA holders from RS together. They sell the 4xAA holders in a long version and a short wide version. Connection is by press studs so it is easy to wire up the glued-up blocks in series. If you want to use less than a multiple of four, just jam long bolts in the place of the batteries not required. The connections inside the boxes are cheap and badly plated, and the plastic cheaper and nastier still, so soldering a shorting wire in there just leads to an ugly mess.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #2,537 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price has since been raised to $4500.

Wow! Even more than for the Aristaeus.
When we know how that one turned out we might be in for a very well built and really stunning looking amplifier. Can't wait.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #2,538 of 24,807
As of late,I have a serious hankering for the Japanese Masters amp. I just wish the translations would come out a bit better.
plainface.gif
I think i'll take one for the team next spring.(yes it will be awhile)
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #2,539 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre Jute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't find any battery holders to hold 10x or 12x AA rechargable for powering (12V) or overvolting (14.4V) an MR16 bike light I built. First I used the 14.4 battery off my rechargable drill but that was heavy. Then I glued three 4xAA holders from RS together. They sell the 4xAA holders in a long version and a short wide version. Connection is by press studs so it is easy to wire up the glued-up blocks in series. If you want to use less than a multiple of four, just jam long bolts in the place of the batteries not required. The connections inside the boxes are cheap and badly plated, and the plastic cheaper and nastier still, so soldering a shorting wire in there just leads to an ugly mess.

Can somebody please confirm my knowledge of Ohm's Law and my Maths? If I can link 10x fully-charged NiMH AA 1.2v batteries together (along the lines suggested above), and they are all 1600mAh rated, in theory I should get about 3+ hours use of my SRM-212 from one charge. (This possibly dodgy calculation is based on the assumption that the SRM-212 is rated at 12v/4w, which is what I've read somewhere... er, on the back of the SRM-212!).

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #2,540 of 24,807
Quote:

Oh, great! Just when I'd decided that my (admittedly very limited) understanding of wall wart power supplies (= that regulated is better than unregulated) was wrong, because of that which Andre wrote earlier, then along comes Downrange and re-asserts my initial belief!

Oh dear. I looks like I started something here.

There are no absolutes in hi-fi electronics, Johnny. It is all a matter of taste, then of execution. When I say I like unregulated supplies better, that is my taste, and the presumption is that the rest of the power supply and amp will be built in the best possible manner without reference to cost. You see, regulation is just a cheap fix of problems cost-engineeering cuts have brought about in the amp and its power supply. If you build the amp silent in the first instance (which means giving up half or more of the possible power it can produce), and don't specify the transformer and caps down to the minimum required so as to save a few bucks in the power supply, and use expensive chokes (I use several, and of a $$$pecial double design -- see http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/K...dre%20Jute.htm ), and don't skimp on the pricey components for noise reducing circuitry (balanced circuits, current sources -- you won't believe how quickly this drives the cost of an amp into multiples of what is possible to charge on the High Street) -- if you do everything else right, you then don't need to put up with regulation moulinexing your sound. Of course, if you don't agree with me that regulation leeches the colour from your sound, then you should have regulation, and regulation then permits you to cut corners elsewhere. It is, as I say, swings and roundabouts, a continuum (thanks for the very word I was looking for, Downrange) of possibilities, and where you pitch your tent along this long, long line is a matter of experience and taste.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Downrange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider this: many people spend hundreds extra to have Justin at Headamp install Black Gate capacitors in the power supply for the KGSS amplifier (1500 dollar amp with no mods). They do this in pursuit of deeper filtration of the 12 V source voltage; the capacitors are not in the signal path.

Everything is in the signal path. Your return line runs all the way from the plug on the wall through the power supply and the signal amp back to the plug on the wall.

But I hate monster caps too, and escpecially on tube amps, where they can have the same effect as regulators. Oversize caps too are a bodge for not doing the job right elsewhere.

Quote:

Oh, and by the way, there was a statement in one of the posts (I'm not too sure where) to the effect that a good, stiff, regulated supply might make the sound somehow "boring" or less dynamic (believe this was in reference to a tube design). With solid state amps, that's definitely not the case.

If you build the rest of your amp cheaply and need to gimmick it right with a regulated power supply, it will sound like rubbish without the regulation. If you build the amp right, the presence of regulation is irrelevant in any positive sense, and to my ears has a flattening, negative influence on the sound. A good amp and its good power supply is in a sense self-regulating. See about some of the possible mechanisms above. This soundleeching effect I talk of is most easily heard in tube amps, and especially when you can switch in and out regulated filament supplies (Herb Reichert memorably said that he "despises" the sound of regulated filaments), but it is there in SS amps too; SS amps have been built down because of near-universal presumption of regulation for so long that cheap and nasty has become the norm. The chap who wrote today in nostalgia for battery-powered Stax from a generation ago, and topclass Stax power supplies, has a strong point.

Here is a simple solidstate amp that sounds superb without regulation especially when it is used in Class A:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/K...dre%20Jute.htm
The key is a hefty transformer and minimal simplicity.

Quote:

If the design relies on a soft or unregulated power supply for its characteristic sound, you don't want to listen to it.

Added euphonics, eh? Not on my amps; they're dead silent. But even third and higher harmonics well below the level of conscious perception can bring with them a level of vague unease well above the subliminal. So I shape the residual noise to eliminate all the third and higher harmonics to a vanishing fraction of the tiny residual of THD.

I do this, among other ways, by using either very little or no global negative feedback because NFB manufactures higher order harmonic residuals every time it cycles to reduce the lower harmonics. An NFB amp almost requires the homogenizing effect of regulation so as not to sound edgy with all those high-order residuals. In short, one of the reasons my amps don't need regulation is because virtually the only residual harmonic is second, well below perception, and that is subliminally harmless because second harmonic, unlike third and higher, is actually pleasing.

So, I see regulation as a bodge required by "engineers" without the brains to enquire whether there isn't a better way of doing the job, and without the taste to grasp that their result, while perhaps passable when measured against all the other inadequate results of their peers, isn't fundamentally perverse.

It is worth making a final point. An electrostat like the Stax earspeaker is such a clear, undistorted reproducer, it deserves the simplest, cleanest chain behind it, and regulation is a lot of extra gubbins for the signal-carrier to travel through.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #2,541 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As of late,I have a serious hankering for the Japanese Masters amp. I just wish the translations would come out a bit better.
plainface.gif
I think i'll take one for the team next spring.(yes it will be awhile)
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

You talk about the Masters BA-215TM, right?
That would be awesome, as we know very little about it, and especially how it sound compared to similar priced amplifiers.

This one:
masters_ba-215tm_stax_1.jpg

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #2,542 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre Jute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh dear. I looks like I started something here.

...So, I see regulation as a bodge required by "engineers" without the brains to enquire whether there isn't a better way of doing the job, and without the taste to grasp that their result, while perhaps passable when measured against all the other inadequate results of their peers, isn't fundamentally perverse.

It is worth making a final point. An electrostat like the Stax earspeaker is such a clear, undistorted reproducer, it deserves the simplest, cleanest chain behind it, and regulation is a lot of extra gubbins for the signal-carrier to travel through.

The man makes sense...

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #2,543 of 24,807
Quote:

Can somebody please confirm my knowledge of Ohm's Law and my Maths? If I can link 10x fully-charged NiMH AA 1.2v batteries together (along the lines suggested above), and they are all 1600mAh rated, in theory I should get about 3+ hours use of my SRM-212 from one charge. (This possibly dodgy calculation is based on the assumption that the SRM-212 is rated at 12v/4w, which is what I've read somewhere... er, on the back of the SRM-212!).

If the SRM-212 is 12v/4w, that's around 333 milliamperes rating. You should be able to get somewhere around five hours with a bank of 1600 mAh batteries.

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #2,545 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't find the HE60s that amp friendly. They need something that can slew really fast.

I was talking about their voltage needs but they can be seriously picky beasts. The close D/S spacing calls for a quicker power delivery but that isn't doing them any favors with amp matching. It's good that the Stax amps are built to handle the old oddball designs so they are a synergistic match to the HE60/90.

Quote:

The 4070s are actually less efficient than the Sigma Pros, although they don't become a big blob of flabby midbass when underamped the way the SPs do. They still need a good amp, anyway.

It's clear then that the 717/727 just aren't powerful enough to do them justice. The 717 nearly crawled into a hole and died when driving the Sigmas. It's no wonder that the Sigma Pro's didn't sell well when their recommended partner was the T1.
basshead.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I suspected - it's time for the amp search to begin.
lambda.gif

It isn't easy (or cheap) to be an electrostatic fanatic but it's worth it!

Quote:

Yeah, pretty much. The 313 is a joke in that respect.

The sad thing is, old Stax used to be one of the best in the world for power supplies. They were the first company to use super-shunt regulation, and had a huge percentage of their gear run off batteries. Those days have since gone, unfortunately.

Some of the Stax speaker amps were marveled by other amp designers at the time. People like Mark Levinson studied them and tried to make his own version. It's too bad that they didn't know how to run a company successfully...
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! Even more than for the Aristaeus.
When we know how that one turned out we might be in for a very well built and really stunning looking amplifier. Can't wait.

I'm keeping an eye on it with the dollar this weak. It's actually cheaper then my old Blue Hawaii. I'm not happy about the "no upgrade" policy but then again, I'm hard to please. Still it would be nice if Justin would chime in and tell us what caps are used, wiring and all that.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #2,546 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm keeping an eye on it with the dollar this weak. It's actually cheaper then my old Blue Hawaii. I'm not happy about the "no upgrade" policy but then again, I'm hard to please. Still it would be nice if Justin would chime in and tell us what caps are used, wiring and all that.

True!
The US dollar have not been this weak against our currency since the early -90's. So this is really the time to buy goods from the US, or in USD in general.

I would like some more up-to-date information from Justin as well. Some details about the components he use, and perhaps even some pictures.
I am so tempted by the Blue Hawaii Special Edition.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #2,547 of 24,807
Quote:

If the SRM-212 is 12v/4w, that's around 333 milliamperes rating. You should be able to get somewhere around five hours with a bank of 1600 mAh batteries.

This is SO weird: I had everything right in my knowledge, and the Maths was a doddle, so how did I divide 1600 with 333 and get 3?

Thanks, Downrange!

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #2,548 of 24,807
Quote:

It's clear then that the 717/727 just aren't powerful enough to do them justice. The 717 nearly crawled into a hole and died when driving the Sigmas. It's no wonder that the Sigma Pro's didn't sell well when their recommended partner was the T1.

My 717 drives the 404 to very high levels (and the O2’s). I thought that the 4070 had the same driver as the 404. Does the enclosure on the 4070 make it that much less efficient than the 404?

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #2,549 of 24,807
Quote:

I was talking about their voltage needs but they can be seriously picky beasts. The close D/S spacing calls for a quicker power delivery but that isn't doing them any favors with amp matching. It's good that the Stax amps are built to handle the old oddball designs so they are a synergistic match to the HE60/90.

Pretty much.

To oversimplify; Stax need voltage, Sennheiser needs current.

Quote:

This is SO weird: I had everything right in my knowledge, and the Maths was a doddle, so how did I divide 1600 with 333 and get 3?

Thanks, Downrange!

His maths is wrong.

Power = Voltage x Current. So,
4W = 12V x 0.3A

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 717 drives the 404 to very high levels (and the O2’s). I thought that the 4070 had the same driver as the 404. Does the enclosure on the 4070 make it that much less efficient than the 404?

Yeah, pretty much. I guess there's a lot of backwave cancelation going down.

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #2,550 of 24,807
Quote:

His maths is wrong.

Power = Voltage x Current. So,
4W = 12V x 0.3A

I'm surprised at you, Carl.

P=IE (Power in watts equals current in amperes times voltage)

4= 12X

x=4/12

= 1/3

= .3333333

tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back