The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #2,476 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some cheap ways to enter the world of electrostatic headphones.
Vintage systems:
* SR-X/MK3 and SRD-7 -> ~$100-200
* SR-Lambda and SRD-7 -> ~$150-250

New system (from Japan):
* Stax SR-001 MK2 -> $239
* Stax SRS-005A -> $399

How would Lambda's level up to HD650s? What are the cheaper options for some of the new non in ear systems?

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #2,478 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would Lambda's level up to HD650s? What are the cheaper options for some of the new non in ear systems?

I have not heard the SR-Lambda, so someone else have to comment on this one.
The SRS-2050A (SR-202 and SRM-252A) are the cheapest full sized Stax system in production. Available from PriceJapan for $420

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #2,479 of 24,807
Say if I got SR202's... could I grab 404s later on and use the same amp?

Jul 4, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #2,481 of 24,807
Quote:

yes u can use any of the current production earspeakers with the same amp! but i would suggest you to buy a better amp then 202 or atleast SRM-323!

Jul 4, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #2,483 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by siddiquehanif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry i accidently pressed enter before finishing my post!

yes which system is better choice the new 3050 system (SR303+SRM-323) or the SRM1 MKII pro + Lambda pros!
how is SRM1-MKII compare to the SRM-323 energizer alone pairing with other earspeaers!

thanx in advance.

Generally Lambda Pros go for more than they're worth on the used market, so keep that in mind. In terms of 323 vs SRM-1mk2, the later has better parts so sounds a bit better. The 313/323 have suffered a bit at the hands of the bean counters.

If it was me, I'd get an original Lambda or Lambda Signature and a SRM-T1 instead.

Quote:

any one is there to help!

At this time of day most of the world is either at sleep or at work. Only us folks in strange timezones are out posting right now.

Jul 4, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #2,484 of 24,807
Thank you very much carl! yes timezones do very drastically from place to place nyway in Dubai its now 5PM!

So the SRM-MK2 is better! i have a chance to buy this unit at 350USD! is it a good price for this unit! the serial no. is A9869, it has one normal bias and one pro bias output and on top of chassis professional has been written and its in very good condition even it has original packing cartoon too!

Lambda Signature and SRM-T1! Carl can u explain the sound signature of this combo vs lambda pro and SRM-MK2 combo!

regards,

Jul 4, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #2,485 of 24,807
Quote:

You could. But it would be smarter to keep the 202 earspeakers and upgrade the amp to a used Stax tube amp.

I have 202 and the 252A, which I bought with the idea of upgrading after I built a tube amp. I also had the 404 and the Omega II on loan. In my opinion, the greater part of the difference between the 202, the 303 and the 404 is in the accompanying amps. The amp with the 303 is very likely the gubbins of the amp with the 202 with merely a possibly better internal power supply rather than a wall wart; it makes a difference. The amp with the 404, if you buy the tube amp, definitely sounds better. I concluded two things:

1. The earspeakers themselves might be the thing with the most sex appeal to the punters but it hardly matters which of the 202/303/404 you have. The first worthwhile upgrade from any of that lot is to an Omega.

2. When you have any Stax electrostatic earspeaker, you're at the top of the mountain already. The differences between them is mainly caused by the amp you use them with. Therefore you may as well buy the cheapest earspeaker and put the rest of your money into the best amp you can afford.

HTH.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Jul 4, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #2,486 of 24,807
Quote:

So the SRM-MK2 is better! i have a chance to buy this unit at 350USD! is it a good price for this unit! the serial no. is A9869, it has one normal bias and one pro bias output and on top of chassis professional has been written and its in very good condition even it has original packing cartoon too!

I have both the 313 and the SRM-1/Mk2 and there's not a great deal of difference in their sound. The SRM-1/Mk2 cost about 300USD here in the UK, and that was not a bargain price, but for Dubai???? I have read on this website that the later SRM-1/Mk2s, with a serial no. starting with C, are better than the earlier ones, on the other hand, you say it is in good condition with the original box, so it may be worth it...

Jul 4, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #2,487 of 24,807
Quote:

So the SRM-MK2 is better! i have a chance to buy this unit at 350USD! is it a good price for this unit!
regards,

I've seen like new modern high-bias Stax 2020 (202s with the little amp and wall wart) for 300 USD lots of times on the used market - much newer design, and the 202s will upscale nicely with a better amp, when you're ready for that.

My personal bias (pun intended) is to stay away from moldy oldies.
lambda.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #2,488 of 24,807
I've seen like new modern high-bias Stax 2020 (202s with the little amp and wall wart) for 300 USD lots of times on the used market - much newer design, and the 202s will upscale nicely with a better amp, when you're ready for that.

thanx for the suggestion!

Jul 4, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #2,490 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downrange /img/forum/go_quote.gif

lambda.gif

...unless, of course, it's an SR-X Mk3 driven through an SRD-6 or 7 from a Naim NAC 32.5 and NAP 140, but, hey, let's not go there (as least with a newbie!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back