The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #2,371 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing beginning with "12A" sounds amazing.

Hence my comments.
icon10.gif

I guess some of the "12A" tubes are easy to find/buy and work with.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #2,372 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hence my comments.
icon10.gif

I guess some of the "12A" tubes are easy to find/buy and work with.

Designers tend to use tubes they and the customer are familiar with and not some obscure design that might be a much better fit.

It is a really interesting amp and it is great value with those very tasty Tamura transformers. With 15+15w you should be able to drive the Quad ESL for a very nice dual electrostatic setup.

BTW. Carl I'm going to send Justin a message since I haven't heard back from him in a week regarding the PCB's.

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #2,373 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a really interesting amp and it is great value with those very tasty Tamura transformers. With 15+15w you should be able to drive the Quad ESL for a very nice dual electrostatic setup.

I wish someone would bite the bullet. I'm sure there are some here who would be quite interested in it.

Quote:

BTW. Carl I'm going to send Justin a message since I haven't heard back from him in a week regarding the PCB's.

Cheers, thanks Birgir.

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #2,374 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With 15+15w you should be able to drive the Quad ESL for a very nice dual electrostatic setup.

Besides my own amps, the amp that in the last decade I loved best for driving Quad ESL (57) and the ESL-63 was Triode Supply Japan's Miyabe, SEPP 300B, good for around 16W per channel. I still have one standing on the floor (I fell across it today, looking for grommets to put on my pedal bike) out of the several I had at one stage; perhaps I should turn it into a Stax driver...

Andre Jute
"Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact."-- George Elliot

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #2,375 of 24,807
Jun 27, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #2,376 of 24,807
Calling all you Stax experts:

I have, at last, got myself a pair of SR-5s to compare with my SR-Xs (initial impression is that they are not nearly so behind the SR-Xs as I'd been led to believe they would be, by various postings on this thread... )

Anyway, my question is, what model do I have? They were listed as plain SR-5s, but they have a flat cable (and spritzer, it's round at the insertion point, not square like the ones we both have, for our SR-Xs), they are white (actually more cream) in colour (so, sadly, presumably not the Gold version, which are only in black?), and the Stax labels have a gold background. Can't find the SN on the band, but the SR-6/SB that came with them is numbered in the 17000s. Any ideas? Are they SR-5Ns? Or will I need to post a snap?

In any case, they're in great nick, and a bargain price (about 54 GBP), and very comfortable (I'm not mad keen on the SR-Xs actually pushing on my pinnae, so the semi-circumaural fit of the SR-5s is more comfortable for me, and of course the pads don't degenerate like those of the SR-Xs!).

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #2,377 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Calling all you Stax experts:

I have, at last, got myself a pair of SR-5s to compare with my SR-Xs (initial impression is that they are not nearly so behind the SR-Xs as I'd been led to believe they would be, by various postings on this thread... )

Anyway, my question is, what model do I have? They were listed as plain SR-5s, but they have a flat cable (and spritzer, it's round at the insertion point, not square like the ones we both have, for our SR-Xs), they are white (actually more cream) in colour (so, sadly, presumably not the Gold version, which are only in black?), and the Stax labels have a gold background. Can't find the SN on the band, but the SR-6/SB that came with them is numbered in the 17000s. Any ideas? Are they SR-5Ns? Or will I need to post a snap?

In any case, they're in great nick, and a bargain price (about 54 GBP), and very comfortable (I'm not mad keen on the SR-Xs actually pushing on my pinnae, so the semi-circumaural fit of the SR-5s is more comfortable for me, and of course the pads don't degenerate like those of the SR-Xs!).

It's a normal SR-5. They might have been recabled by Stax later in their life for some reason, thus explaining the ribbon cable (which should otherwise only be present on the SR-5NB version.

You're not the only one who likes the SR-5, and they're certainly one of the best deals in electrostatics considering the regularly go for 25 to 50% less than the electret SR-80s do.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #2,378 of 24,807
Quote:

It's a normal SR-5. They might have been recabled by Stax later in their life for some reason, thus explaining the ribbon cable (which should otherwise only be present on the SR-5NB version.

You're not the only one who likes the SR-5, and they're certainly one of the best deals in electrostatics considering the regularly go for 25 to 50% less than the electret SR-80s do.

Thanks, Carl. Why would they not be SR-5NBs? What do they look like?

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #2,379 of 24,807
Quote:

What do they look like?

Like a SR-5N (black/gold) but with a cheap ribbon cable rather than one of those kettle power cords.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #2,380 of 24,807
Quote:

Like a SR-5N (black/gold) but with a cheap ribbon cable rather than one of those kettle power cords.

Now I AM confused! What does the 'kettle power cord' cable look like? I assumed that flat cable was flat/ribbon cable (varying in thickness and width, of course)?

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #2,381 of 24,807
Quote:

Now I AM confused! What does the 'kettle power cord' cable look like? I assumed that flat cable was flat/ribbon cable (varying in thickness and width, of course)?

Same as the one on the SR-Xmk3.

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #2,383 of 24,807
Quote:

Here's a snap of the SR-5s and SRD-6/SB:

Cheers. That's been recabled, 100% sure.

Here's what it normally looks like:
npsr51rn5.jpg

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #2,384 of 24,807
Quote:

they are white (actually more cream) in colour (so, sadly, presumably not the Gold version, which are only in black?)

It's inconsistent.
Stax has sold SR-5 Gold in white housings and black housings in Germany.I know it for sure since I've once owned a white SR5 Gold.

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #2,385 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's inconsistent.
Stax has sold SR-5 Gold in white housings and black housings in Germany.I know it for sure since I've once owned a white SR5 Gold.

The whole "gold" label is a misnomer anyway.

The SR-5 New was an upgraded version of the SR-5 with the same driver as the SR-Xmk3, and all of them were black, but how they were sold outside Japan was typical confusing 80s Stax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back