Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #1,966 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickamory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as we're straying onto analog subjects, my new toy
wink.gif

emt_alignment_top.jpg

A Garrard 301..? I don't know what the arm is, but it looks pretty antiquated.

What are your plans for it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ast
since I am here on the Electrostats thread, I'd like to ask another question, how do you guys compare HE90 to O II/HE60 ? I heard Neil's HE90 at San Jose meet and was quite impressed by its big sound. I have a WTB thread for HE90 here on Head-fi. But jjcha's thread about HE90 made me a little hesitated, for that kind of dough, I would expect the best without compromise, or shouldn't I?

The gist of it is; but the time you get up to the ranks of the HE90 and O2 things have long ago stopped being about technical competancy and entered the realm of system matching, personal taste, and how much control the amplifier has over the transducer. This is why you could ask ten different experienced headphiles what their ideal system was and get ten different answers.

Given the amount of money involved, reading forums like head-fi will help to to understand the way things interact, and the theory behind why things work and why they don't, but it can't tell you what your personal tastes will be. Listening to gear never stopped being critical, even with the deveopment of the internet.

May 11, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #1,967 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You planning on the original ESL57 Spritzer? Single or stacked?

Stacked rebuilt black grilled ones would be the cream.
wink.gif

Both actually, but for two different systems. Black grill with white stators is simply stunning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickamory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plinth is made from a number of different woods glued together in various positions with various voids by the LignoLab/A23 folks... the armboard is a hunk of cast copper that weighs more than the plinth.

Turntable has been disassembled and thoroughly stripped and cleaned - bearing, idler and motor. I still need to put a new power cord on it. I don't think I'll touch the rest of the motor.

The real new toy is the EMT 997 arm..
lambda.gif

A local nut has one of these on a solid 2" plinth and it sounds excellent. He also has the arm decoupled from the plinth.

I really should stop talking about turntables or I will buy one...
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O II: spritzer, duggeh

HE60: carl, milkpowder

2 vs. 2.
wink.gif

Any direct comparisons between the two?

since I am here on the Electrostats thread, I'd like to ask another question, how do you guys compare HE90 to O II/HE60 ? I heard Neil's HE90 at San Jose meet and was quite impressed by its big sound. I have a WTB thread for HE90 here on Head-fi. But jjcha's thread about HE90 made me a little hesitated, for that kind of dough, I would expect the best without compromise, or shouldn't I?

The He90/O2 issue is very dependent on what music you listen to and what you value in terms of neutrality or euphony. The He90 is very euphonic with overblown soundstage, harsh upper midrange and the bass is just strange. The O2's are neutral to a fault, power hogs of the worst kind and will sound like crap if they aren't fed enough voltage and it takes a while to unlock all of their secrets. The He90 is very audition friendly and they will impress you with their huge soundstage. With a prolonged comparison you'll see this is all smoke and mirrors because the soundstage doesn't change that much between recordings and it is so diffused that everything is overblown. In short I'd much rather listen to the SR-Lambda Signature and get 90% of the airy signature but with excellent soundstage and great PRaT and bass.

My set could be broken like most are from the new production run but there is nothing obvious wrong with it, other then the crappy headband but I fixed that. In fact they sound very similar to the Orpheus setup I heard a few years ago. I'm going to send mine back to Sennheiser for a tune up and continue to do so until they sound good. I'll just have to yell at the distributor a bit more until they send them for me.

May 11, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #1,968 of 24,807
I've spent the last 30 minutes to install the left pad onto my Omega II - to no avail so far.
There must be a trick.I don't want to ruin the pads by fiddling cluelessly around since I do have one of the rare black Omegas and the pads might be hard to get.

May 11, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #1,969 of 24,807
Getting the pads back on the O2 is not easy. I used a pallete knife to ease the edge back in, then rotated it around and it slid back into place.

May 11, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #1,971 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent the last 30 minutes to install the left pad onto my Omega II - to no avail so far.
There must be a trick.I don't want to ruin the pads by fiddling cluelessly around since I do have one of the rare black Omegas and the pads might be hard to get.

There are two flanges inside the pad. The copper ring goes inside the inner one. Now push the copped ring into the hole in the plate and now you have to pull the outer flange over the black plate. It's a bit tricky at first but start at one point and work your way around the housing, holding the starting point in place with your fingers or maybe some tape might help.

May 11, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #1,974 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are two flanges inside the pad. The copper ring goes inside the inner one. Now push the copped ring into the hole in the plate and now you have to pull the outer flange over the black plate. It's a bit tricky at first but start at one point and work your way around the housing, holding the starting point in place with your fingers or maybe some tape might help.

Thanks a lot.

May 11, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #1,975 of 24,807
After seeing Carl's 4070, I can't stop thinking about it. I called my dealer to get a 001 (yes... a 001) to use at my office, but something went wrong Monday morning...

Box I received today:
494077639_217dc9a07a.jpg

The small brother, which not seen often here:
494045832_e6d66d0976.jpg

001 is REALLY SMALL.... (maybe I got used to full size can)
494045838_b1838ca55c.jpg

=========

The more interesting box..
494080993_d1aa86be6b.jpg

open up the box:
494080997_b6f7461946.jpg

Shining Logo:
494081013_25fa3fe93c.jpg

Open up the box:
494047950_d756ee6be6.jpg

The can pojen keep thinking about..
494047970_eb49419520.jpg

Family picture:
494047982_73c53ed974.jpg

=====
The only problem with 4070 is I don't have an amp to drive it. (Justin, I want my KGSS...)

My S/N is 1061.

May 11, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #1,976 of 24,807
A penknife and a soldering iron and you could put the SR-001 connector on it.
wink.gif

Also, assuming that serial numbers have started at 1000, then there's really not a lot of those 4070s about. The stax serial numbers are different for different countries though iirc.

May 11, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #1,977 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by pojen_h@hotmail. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The more interesting box..
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/4...d1aa86be6b.jpg

open up the box:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/4...b6f7461946.jpg

Shining Logo:
494081013_25fa3fe93c.jpg

Open up the box:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/4...d756ee6be6.jpg

The can pojen keep thinking about..
494047970_eb49419520.jpg

Family picture:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/232/4...73c53ed974.jpg

Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Great to see more 4070 love around here, as its one of the most rare Stax phones on Head-Fi.

Enjoy. When you get the KGSS that is...

May 11, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #1,978 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A penknife and a soldering iron and you could put the SR-001 connector on it.
wink.gif

lambda.gif
I for one am still looking for an affordable way to do it the other way around. I know I can buy a ready-made adaptor, but it would set me back almost as much as an entire SR-003. And I already checked with my local Stax dealer (who didn't really know all that much about Stax anyway), who even called the Dutch distributor for me. They didn't sell the plugs separately, and an entire cable would come dangerously close to the cost of an SR-003 as well.
mad.gif

I asked them about compatible microphone plugs, too, but they said those were obsolete, and probably very hard to get.
I noticed Revaud had an SR-5 cable on offer on that auction site, but shipping would be rather expensive, and besides, he told me the SR-5 cable wouldn't work.
plainface.gif

Does anyone have another suggestion, or perhaps a link to a compatible plug or cable that won't cost too much shipped? I don't want to spend a fortune on this, since it's basically an experiment...

Ellen

May 11, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #1,979 of 24,807
I assume you've already asked [AK] Zip whether he could make you a low cost one? Removing the cable from the S-001 or SR-003 is a fiddly business. The connection doesn't look like it was made to be continuously messed around with...

pojen_h@hotmail. : I'm waiting intently for your 4070 vs SR-404 comparison:p Looks pretty sexy to me.

May 11, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #1,980 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume you've already asked [AK] Zip whether he could make you a low cost one?

No, but I did tell him the regular one was a bit over my budget. I assume he would have told me if he could make me a lower cost one.
Quote:

Removing the cable from the S-001 or SR-003 is a fiddly business. The connection doesn't look like it was made to be continuously messed around with...

I know, that's why I don't want to mess with the cable itself.

Oh well, perhaps I'll use the cable from my Lambda Signature, if it turns out to be beyond repair...

Ellen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back