The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #1,248 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've spent enough time with the Lambda Woody Pro to offer some more detailed impressions:

All comments are between the Lambda Pro Woody and a stock pair.

When I first heard the Lambda Pro I was in heaven. I spent some time with the 202, 303 and 404 at meets and through loans from friends, but none of those headphones caught my attention like the Lambda Pro. It reaches out and grabs you. I finally got my hands on a NOS pair last Fall and I have never looked back. I have a hard time going back to dynamic cans now. If I do go back it will be for a high-end setup (K1000/F1, R10/Singlepower...etc.) and nothng less
wink.gif

So yeah I like the Lambda Pro and the Lambda Signature. A lot.

So after weeks of neglecting Headphile's Headphone Deals page I thought, "I wonder if Larry has anything special?" BAM! There they were, a pair of Lambda Pros with open back woodies. I jumped at the chance. Normally I hem and haw about these things and end up acting too late (well we all do, but I've missed some great stuff repeatedly, so I wasn't going to miss this). Not this time. I quickly checked my Paypal account and sent an e-mail off to Larry hoping I wasn't too late.

Four days later I rushed home from work to get the package and fire up my amp. Two hours later I was deeply involved with A/B testing. My wife knows this mode...he's evaluating cans....let him play. So enough build-up, what's the skinny?

Equipment: Wadia 23 (balanced out)>Stax SRM-T1S>Lambda Pro/Lambda Woody

Overall the woodies retain the general charater of the stock Lambda Pro, but there are a few key differenes:

Impact: Overall the woodies present a faster, tighter and more textured articulation. Drum hits, cymbals, acostic bass all have more snap and texture to the initial attack. This led to the resulting tones having greater texture and depth. There's a new layer of detail with the woodies.

Dynamics: Dynamic differences are more prevalent with the woodies as well. Miles Davis's ghosted notes aren't completely lost with the woodies. If only I had these cans when I was playing and transcribing. Man, I could have knocked out solo transcriptions much faster. Sometimes you have to strain to hear the subtle nuances with the stock pair; the woodies lay them out for you. It is not overdone either, the woodies just offer a finer focus. Group and/or solo dynamics are better as well. Background and forefront dyanmics retain their space, but nothing covers anything else. The differences are less striking on this level between the two pairs.

Detail and texture: I've covered these two items in the other two categories so I will be brief. The woodies have more detail and texture to the sound than the stock pair. You can hear the twang and texture of a string bass. The hammer quality of the piano. Drums are still a bit lacking in this department, but the woodies are an improvement over the stock pair.

So there they are, my impressions. Feel free to aks more pointed questions though. I like the new woodies. A lot. So much that there will be a big FS thread soon. I need to raise some cash for a pair of Omega II. Between the OII and the woodies...well that'll take care of me for awhile.

Cheers,
thrice

If they are that great why even think of moving on to anything as costly as an O2?

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #1,249 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they are that great why even think of moving on to anything as costly as an O2?

He's tasted the sweet, sweet honey.

The lambda pro and O2 aren't exactly the most similar of headphones, though.

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #1,250 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawoofer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad to report that the ESP 9's crackled for the first minute or two but ended up sounding just great. Does the amp do anything for the sound with it in the off position? When it's on it just seems to amplify the signal a tad, seems about like turning up the volume. What is the real purpose of this energizer? I also have some 7's, the don't have nearly have the bass that the 9's do. They might be a little brighter than the 9's, but thats just an initial impression. The 7's must be biased different because plugged into the 9's energizer it makes absolutely zero difference when the amp is switched on. I am impressed with the sound of the 9's and look forward to auditioning them with my SET amp and vinyl. I only listened to the 7's for about 5 minutes and I'm not sure if that was an efficient amount of time to give them a real critique.

The E9 energizer is not an amp, it's a transformer which modifies the signal from a regular amp. When it is turned on, it provides a set bias signal to the diaphragam of the transducers in the earcups. When it is off, the E9 is self-energizing, i.e. it creates a bias signal from the audio signal. Self-biasing is not always consistent, since it can vary with the voltage of the audio signal from the amp, e.g. my ESP 6's are quite variable with some kinds of music.

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #1,251 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are not without their faults (the Lambda Woodies). Still sort of getting used to them, but a few people PMed me to post impressions so I did.

Why wouldn't I want to try the OII? Besides a friend has them and I've had a chance to hear his....they piqued my interest. The OII is not a headphone that gives up it's secrets quickly. I would enjoy getting to know them...if I ever get my KGSS sone...gah, parts, parts, parts.

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #1,252 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would enjoy getting to know them...if I ever get my KGSS sone...gah, parts, parts, parts.

Haha, I'm interested in building a KGSS myself. Are you building it on a breadboard or did you get some custom PCBs made?
biggrin.gif

By the way, I'm typing out a response to your PM right now. I'm so sorry for the late reply. Though, things don't look too bright. *Cries* *Needs to think so me more*

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #1,253 of 24,807
Thanks Edstealow. I was told to turn them on and leave them on for a day and I would get better sound out of them. Don't know if that is true or not, and input in this matter? I keep reading all of these post that you all write. Talking about the cabling and amps that I have never heard of. I'm trying to read and learn. I'm a rookie to the cans scene. I remember the big brown Koss' from the 70's, but have been a buyer of Radio Shack cans for the last 20 years ignorant to the better cans out there. This is a whole new experience and many would probably say I wasted my money. I've heard electricstatic speakers lately and like the sound very much and wanted to get a taste of it for myself. Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this subject but we all had to start somewhere. Thanks for letting me rant.

Apr 3, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #1,254 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Omega II’s were delivered today! I’ve been listening to them on my SRM-1mkII. Here are some words to describe the sound I'm getting; integrated, smooth, detailed, sweet, subtle, powerful, rich and warm. I am so pleased! They make my Lambda Pro’s sound like they have a woofer, midrange and tweeter. Well... not exactly.

I will have about $1500 to spend for an amp. What are your recommendations? I like tube equipment sound. I love my Audible Illusions Modulus 3a preamp. I am not looking for SET sound.

AudioD
lambda.gif

Congratulations with the Omega II!
lambda.gif

They sure sound great, even if the SRM-1/MKII don't bring out the best in them.

When it comes to amplifiers you might want to look into the WooAudio GES. Looks like a great amplifier, which would only set you back $1,250.00.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't think this guy might be overcharging, do you?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....art&1180669747

Wow! Thats some serious money for pickup cartridge.
eek.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #1,257 of 24,807
I know this isn't what this thread is about, but I figured that one of you guys had to have ordered your stax cans from pricejapan.

http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_go...53&category=10

When I converted this, it came to $430 (including shipping), that seems too good to be true. Am I going to have problems with power or anything, or is it all good to go?

Apr 3, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #1,258 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiliman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this isn't what this thread is about, but I figured that one of you guys had to have ordered your stax cans from pricejapan.

http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_go...53&category=10

When I converted this, it came to $430 (including shipping), that seems too good to be true. Am I going to have problems with power or anything, or is it all good to go?

2050s aren't expensive in Japan.

eg http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r35499629

Apr 3, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #1,260 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiliman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that explains it then.

What about the power issue?

If you're going to get a system with a 252II amp, just buy a new wallwart. A better one. Or a bench supply if you want to be fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back