The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #24,766 of 24,807
Yeah, that makes no sense. Electrets only have four pins because they don't even draw bias voltage. I hope you're either joking or seriously drunk.

My electrets have 5 pins. SR40 and SR30. However, the 5th pin is a dummy, so it doesn't even connect to the bias voltage. I have connected them to the SRD-7 that drives my SR-x Mark 3s.

But that is not why I logged in.
I need replacement pads and contacted Stax USA. I ordered the pads; but they are backordered. Sent them 3 messages through their site since 5/30 and so far no reply. Has anyone else had recent communication with Stax USA?

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #24,767 of 24,807
My electrets have 5 pins. SR40 and SR30. However, the 5th pin is a dummy, so it doesn't even connect to the bias voltage. I have connected them to the SRD-7 that drives my SR-x Mark 3s.

But that is not why I logged in.
I need replacement pads and contacted Stax USA. I ordered the pads; but they are backordered. Sent them 3 messages through their site since 5/30 and so far no reply. Has anyone else had recent communication with Stax USA?

this thread is not in use in longer (note the date of the entry before yours). the current thread is here.

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #24,770 of 24,807
Anyone else using a KGSS DX Edition? Mines a 2006 original unit that I paired with a Stax L700. Should I sell it and get a Woo Audio WEE instead?

4313777.jpg

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #24,774 of 24,807
I have a KGSS recently re-capped and would NEVER consider selling it.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #24,775 of 24,807
hi,

i have a SRM-Xh which i plugged the wrong polarity into and now no sound comes out,

its a green pcb "PB-201 08438-00210" (no fuse or protection diode to replace that im aware of)

it has the red led on the front of the unit working but the two internal red LED's are not lit up.

i found the posts by "Tus-Chan" who has the same issue and kevin gilmore and defqon offered help.

i followed that help and ordered two new mosfets (2sk940) and one new regulator (3524) also recapped the whole board.

i got the parts one after another, so i recapped it all to start and tested (no change) then i switched the mosfets out (both of them) no change and finally today just switched out the regulator and hoped it would all fire up, but alas it has not changed in anyway.

can anybody help me?

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #24,776 of 24,807
Is the original 727 flawed and it is better to buy a second hand 717, or the 717 has the same issue ?

I figure this question is still applicable today, since I stressed over the same thing before I got a SRM-727A a year ago. It all goes back to that one goddamn Tyll review. He says he didn't like the amp, and so all of a sudden the consensus opinion is that it sucks, or it's flawed, or whatever. It's a hell of a stretch to call the 727 "flawed."

After listening to it for a year with a pair of Lambda Pros, I have to say it's the best headphone system I've ever heard. Listening to a quality recording on it still blows me away. I'm sure some people are going to like it more or less than others, but that's hardly unique for audio kit.

I feel it needs a preamp to sound its best (it is a power amp, not an integrated amp, after all), though IME it's not that important for some sources, and absolutely essential for others. I'm still learning about circuits, but if I understand right, feeding it with a powerful preamp changes it's behavior to more closely match what the Spritzer mod does anyway.

FTR I'm using a Schiit Magni 3 for my preamp and it sounds fantastic, though I didn't like the results of flipping the switch inside the 727 to "Direct" and using the preamp to control volume. The Stax volume pot is audibly quieter than the one on the Magni, and I get the best results with my Schiit at 100% volume/low gain, using the 727 pot for volume.

I'm thinking about performing the Spritzer mod anyway, or the feedback half at least. Messing with the gain seemed like asking for more trouble than I'm prepared to handle, even before I heard about it getting squirrelly. I'm just curious to hear what everyone else raves about after the mod. Perhaps I'll like it better too, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I won't. The bass is pretty tight already, and I worry about losing bass quantity, even if I get a little better quality in exchange. But you can never know until you try it

Quote:

What do you mean by "different sound"? Different from what?

The comments by audiod don't match my experience at all. He says that "The 727 sounds lifeless on the O2's and never really opens up". Huh? There's nothing "lifeless" about it...

I have a KGSS and a 727 which I compared using my SR-007 mk1. When both are warmed up, they sounds very similar. I find that the KGSS is slightly better, but the improvement in sound is very marginal.

Like I said, the 007ta is noticeably less good, although not horrible by any means, but the 727 is pretty equivalent to the KGSS in my experience.

Yes, I agree with everything @visualguy says here.

I know that solid state gear typically needs to be left on for 24 hrs. or so to warm up completely (and IME the 727 sounds as bad as Tyll thought it did before it's warmed up for 30 or 45 mins at least). I know that it only costs an extra dollar or two per year to leave it on constantly, but it just feels wrong leaving a class A amp on 24/7 forever

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #24,777 of 24,807
hi,

i have a SRM-Xh which i plugged the wrong polarity into and now no sound comes out

Oh hell no! I hope it's repairable. What did you see when you looked inside? I presume you'd have mentioned any visible damage, broken board traces etc. Is yours one of the ones with a fuse?

Why did you replace the caps? Were they blown? I'd think/hope that only the power supply caps would be in danger. What about the mosfets, did you test them or just replace them? Knowing exactly what parts tested bad (and what parts tested fine) would help understand what actually happened.

I hope you also ordered an appropriate diode to prevent this sort of thing from happening again :)

Jan 6, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #24,778 of 24,807
After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say, 'I want to see the manager.'"
-William S. Burroughs

Look at that, another fan of the Beats here! Hell yeah man. I definitely relate to Burroughs the most out of all of them, minus the whole junk addiction bit.

Now Burroughs, there's a man who would have appreciated a Stax rig at his house. Later life Burroughs only of course, when he mostly stable living with Jane in New Orleans I think it was. I can just see Burroughs getting mad at Jack every time he visited, he surely would have stayed up all night listening to jazz records, not letting anybody else have a turn. And what would Neal Cassidy have thought? He'd have eventually turned Kesey on to e-stats as well, which would have influenced the Grateful Dead and probably Joplin and others in turn... Of course she and Jimi and Jim actually could have gotten a real Stax by the time they came around I think. I wonder if any of them ever did, and how I could find out.

What if Burroughs had access to a Stax machine in Morocco when he was writing Naked Lunch (and wasn't able to pawn it for bug powder). Would Stax Lambda have been a character like his typewriter Clark Nova? That really could have worked, maybe the story wouldn't have come out so dark, then

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #24,779 of 24,807
Oh hell no! I hope it's repairable. What did you see when you looked inside? I presume you'd have mentioned any visible damage, broken board traces etc. Is yours one of the ones with a fuse?

Why did you replace the caps? Were they blown? I'd think/hope that only the power supply caps would be in danger. What about the mosfets, did you test them or just replace them? Knowing exactly what parts tested bad (and what parts tested fine) would help understand what actually happened.

I hope you also ordered an appropriate diode to prevent this sort of thing from happening again :)
So sorry for not getting back earlier, i tried the two parts the other two suggested and no sound, i have ordered new versions of the fets, and i have today replaced the smaller ones (a1413) and am waiting to test it this evening, i have the green pcb srm-xh with no fuse or diode to protect from my stupidity!

the lights come on but no sound comes out, i lost me link to this thread so hadn't updated, i will tonight if the little chips do or dont work and hopefully my larger c4631's will be at home ready for me to try switching them in.

i assume none of the resistors will have blown from a polarity issue but ill test all of them now...

just got new sr507 and 006t amp and im looking forward to fixing this so i can compare it to the 006t

(when i looked inside post bust i noticed one of the 4 caps near the transformer was wired in the wrong way around!!! and it was bulging, thats why i switched the caps out)

WORK DONE SO FAR:

This is a picture of the same board i have
4409955_thumb.jpg

1. The 6 big black caps i replaced with rubycon 250v 33uF caps (when i opened it one was wired in the wrong way!)
  2. i then following KG advice to another user: "edit: I found another unit, also a srm-xh with a different boardthat does not have the fuse or the protection diode.(PB201-08438-00210) much olderif you have this one, and the led on the front panel lights upwhen you turn it on, then you are likely going to have to replacethe ic (SG3524D or equivalent) and the 2 transistors 2sk940if the 2 led's on the circuit board do not light up."at this point the lights are all on (they were before i did this too!) but no sound INCORRECT!!! the front red led is on but the two led's inside are not lighting up!
  3. Today i have replaced the 4 x a1413 and i am waiting to get home to plug it in and test again the front red led is on but the two led's inside are not lighting up!
  4. i also have order the larger 8 x c4631 to try replacing

i have now checked all diodes and resistors and found them to work.

does anyone know what else i should try?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back