The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #14,072 of 24,807
Isn't that pretty much the case anyway in the US? Can Elusive Disc or another dealer replace the headphones or amp if something goes wrong, or are you expected to call Yama's with a problem?

Quote:
I got my Stax in Japan. Saved a looot of money over importing it, too. Pretty much the only problem with it is that the warranties are only valid in Japan, so you're pretty much SOL if something goes wrong~

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #14,075 of 24,807
 I do  recall YAMASINC telling me that they wouldn't fix grey market equipment and since they had serial numbers of all the equipment they brought in they could make good on that threat.  But it's hard to know if Yama's is  really operating right now. 

The Japanese sellers usually say that you need to return things under warranty to them.  Since I have never had a warranty claim on Stax items I have never tested this with EIFL, the distrubutor I usually have used.

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #14,076 of 24,807

Considering the rep Yamasinc has I'm wondering if it might be faster getting these serviced by sending them to Japan!

Quote:
 I do  YAMASINC telling me that they wouldn't fix grey market equipment and since they had serial numbers of all the equipment they brought in they could make good on that threat.  But it's hard to know if Yama's is  really operating right now. 

The Japanese sellers usually say that you need to return things under warranty to them.  Since I have never had a warranty claim on Stax items I have never tested this with EIFL, the distrubutor I usually have used.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #14,079 of 24,807

Quote:
Sigma Pro for $1800.00 at Audiogon. This guy must be crazy!
$3000.00 with the SRM-007.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstwek&1290712785&/STAX-sigma-pro-srm-007-

Certainly greedy. 

I have previously seen a Sigma Pro go for about $1,000.00 .  A little while back someone had a Sigma/404 for, I think, 600 Euros, which could be around $US900.00.    I can't imagine anyone paying his price for the used amp either. 

Of course the Sigmas are getting rather rare and the pros are very hard to find and you may not get  a good deal if you want one.

However, as I speak, a low bias Sigma is on Ebay.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #14,080 of 24,807
I have one of each and don't think I need another one.
Eventually may change one of them (the normal bias?) to a Sigma404.
And the seller is in Riverside, CA. Close to my home (Redlands) and yours!
By the way, don't miss Sarah Chang at the Riverside Fox theater October 14th. Paid only $60.00 per ticket, 3 rows from the stage! She will play in OC afterwards, but tickets there (and Disney Hall) are close to $300.00 for equivalent seating.

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #14,084 of 24,807
There are big sound differences between Sigma with normal bias (230V), Sigma Pro and modded Pro with 404 drivers. I know it for me, that my normal bias version is the best one as I heard to another earlier. However I modded that one a bit, because this type imo has too much insulation material inside.
You could obtain a Pro version at only 380 EUR at german ebaaay just yesterday. But the normal bias Sigma goes at 500-600 EUR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back