The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #24,092 of 24,807
add me to the short list of people who built a kgsshv as their first amplifier. offboard version too- hand-drilling the heatsinks for the ccs/output devices was nightmarish to say the least.

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #24,093 of 24,807
I have been spoiled by all the full size NC machine tools at work, especially
the fully reconditioned WW2 monarch lathe, and if I could get 3 phase power
at home, I would find a way to acquire one. However I finally found something
that runs on single phase power, just need some teenage muscle to get
it into the basement.
http://www.tormach.com/product_pcnc_1100.html

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #24,094 of 24,807
Quote:
Thanks Spritzer,
Have you tried the 009 with the Cavalli LL before? I've heard negative feedback from my friend using BHSE to drive 009 (in comparison to the Orpheus), so I'm pretty interested in the LL and Electra now. Any thoughts?

I can count on one hand how many people have heard both a KGSSHV and a LLmk2 in non-meet conditions. They will all have varying degrees of opinions.

Figure out what your music preferences are, the sort of sound you like, then pick out which mpression lines up close to your own and take a leap of faith. This is assuming you don't have the luxury of making this determination of your own volition, which in a fair world would be fantastic ye ken. 

There are plenty of impressions on the two amps individually as well on this forum and another  and possibly elsewhere. The global entity google will reveal more and all you have to do is ask the behemoth. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #24,095 of 24,807
Quote:
add me to the short list of people who built a kgsshv as their first amplifier. offboard version too- hand-drilling the heatsinks for the ccs/output devices was nightmarish to say the least.

impressive. Good on you mate.  I've done hand drilling heatsinks, using a tapping kit etc and built a chassis from bare aluminum sheets and it is a nightmare indeed. Was also my first amp (speaker) and it looks like a bomb and a rats nest. Amazingly its still running some 8 years later (i really had my doubts). Albeit not HV. Just +/-40V rails.

Curious, what is the output stage CCS current set at?

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #24,096 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:
So I ask for the third time now, will this work?
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_203036_-1

12 V
18 W
Center negative
AC-DC unregulated linear

I'm expecting an answer other than from DefQon since he already answered it.

And also for the third time here, will this work?
http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/product_info.php?category_id=10016468&products_id=10061420

And I recently found this. Will this work?
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/sacom/item/1372935/

Again, y'all say don't use X, but then you don't give any recommendations otherwise. Y'all say don't use X, but you don't say why, nor what will happen. I just tried the 100 V thing and nothing noticeably bad happened. I contacted the person in Japan whom I bought the SRS-2170 from and I received the reply:

I'd say any of the transformers would work with the Jap DC power supply.

With regard to getting better power to the SRM-252 directly, you need to match it to the specs of the amp. It says 12V/4Watts... i.e. current should be ~330mA. So look for a power adapter that fits those specs with the right size jack and polarity. Why limit yourself to a certain brand/model when those guidelines give you enough to pick from various models?

The reason why folks are steering you to a regulated linear power supply is because it's just better quality (and it should be more expensive). The better the quality of the power supply the less the regulators in that tiny amp will need to work (so it'll last longer). By running more voltage into the 252 you're just shortening the life of the silicon in there. 

No one is probably going to give you a model and brand because they can't stand by it and say it'll work unless they own one. 

Quote:
Why are you making this so complicated?  Your questions have been answered over and over...  Why do you insist on using a PSU rated for 100V when you know you've got US voltages?

Here... this will work fine, I've used it for a few years in the US.  

Radio Shack
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3807944 (You can probably find the same model on Amazon cheaper, 273-358.)
And this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3807940&locale=en_US (Make sure you plug the adapter in for the right polarity, it's marked on the amp)

If you go to a retail store you might even find one that comes with a selection of tips.  

Yup I just checked the local RadioShack store and they have some of those in stock after all.

I'm wondering what exactly these ratings mean though. There's the above one for $30 which is rated at 1.5 A, and there's one that's $8 cheaper but only outputs 0.5 A. Is there any advantage to having one over the other if I'm planning to replace the stock 100 V,  ~0.330 A one?

Supposedly my Kashimura 120 V -> 100 V transformer is on its way here. I would think the transformer is more versatile than the wall wart, no?

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #24,097 of 24,807
Quote:
only one person here owns a LL and a KGSSHV.

As far as I can glean from the manufacturer's website, the LL is no longer in production. Only the LLmk2 is,  which is quite a different beast sonically. Think I am in safe company to say that going by the impressions I have heard corroborating my own who have heard both versions in non-meet conditions.

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #24,098 of 24,807
Just wanted to report for y'all with the Japanese 2170 combo that my friend tried the following combination for AC Adapter and it works perfectly (well, for now anyway, but specs wise it shouldn't have any problems):

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=AC+Adapters%2fPlugs&product=2739185
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Cable+Adapters&product=8000737

The adapter allows you to switch polarity so that you can use it with the Japanese version of the 252S with the polarity reversed. My friend actually thinks that it now sounds better than when it had to go through the voltage converter... I personally think that may be placebo (never found the voltage converter to make much of a difference for my old SRM-717 before I adjusted the jumpers) but hey, it's one less thing to turn on and to worry about. 
wink.gif

Thanks to Shipsupt and many other users here for making the recommendation regarding the adapter and helping out with this issue.

With the current Japanese prices for the 2170 and the ability to get a separate AC Adapter from here cheaply (Should be able to get the whole package between $500~650 range), I can say that the 2170 is definitely an amazing deal, perhaps even better of a value than the good old ESP950/E90 combo as a starter electrostat.  950 has it's own strengths so 2170 is not entirely better or anything but I do feel that it has a flatter response and a much better quality build headphone and amp included with it for a similar price.

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #24,099 of 24,807
Quote:
As far as I can glean from the manufacturer's website, the LL is no longer in production. Only the LLmk2 is,  which is quite a different beast sonically. Think I am in safe company to say that going by the impressions I have heard corroborating my own who have heard both versions in non-meet conditions.

"Liquid Lightning has undergone some design changes, mostly to the enclosure. LL MK II is now in the new CA stealth black finish. It has more inputs, front panel input switching, and better ventilation including vent slots on both sides. Internally, LL MK II is the same circuit as MK I, but with less parasitic capacitance on the amplifier board"

This sounds like it should sound pretty much the same as the LL to me..

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #24,100 of 24,807
Quote:
"Liquid Lightning has undergone some design changes, mostly to the enclosure. LL MK II is now in the new CA stealth black finish. It has more inputs, front panel input switching, and better ventilation including vent slots on both sides. Internally, LL MK II is the same circuit as MK I, but with less parasitic capacitance on the amplifier board"

This sounds like it should sound pretty much the same as the LL to me..

Possibly, rest of the folks and I who say it sounds different/better are probably imagining it then...for anything's possible indeed ain't it.

Don't take any of our words for it, i mean it for real brotha. Make an effort and find out for yourself, that is if you care to. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #24,101 of 24,807
Quote:
I have been spoiled by all the full size NC machine tools at work, especially
the fully reconditioned WW2 monarch lathe, and if I could get 3 phase power
at home, I would find a way to acquire one. However I finally found something
that runs on single phase power, just need some teenage muscle to get
it into the basement.
http://www.tormach.com/product_pcnc_1100.html

That one is highly recommended on the CNC forums.  I think shipsupt used one in the past quite a bit.  There are a number of other options as well, but they usually involve converting a manual mill into a CNC mill.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #24,102 of 24,807
Quote:
Just wanted to report for y'all with the Japanese 2170 combo that my friend tried the following combination for AC Adapter and it works perfectly (well, for now anyway, but specs wise it shouldn't have any problems):

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=AC+Adapters%2fPlugs&product=2739185
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Cable+Adapters&product=8000737

The adapter allows you to switch polarity so that you can use it with the Japanese version of the 252S with the polarity reversed. My friend actually thinks that it now sounds better than when it had to go through the voltage converter... I personally think that may be placebo (never found the voltage converter to make much of a difference for my old SRM-717 before I adjusted the jumpers) but hey, it's one less thing to turn on and to worry about. 
wink.gif

Thanks to Shipsupt and many other users here for making the recommendation regarding the adapter and helping out with this issue.

With the current Japanese prices for the 2170 and the ability to get a separate AC Adapter from here cheaply (Should be able to get the whole package between $500~650 range), I can say that the 2170 is definitely an amazing deal, perhaps even better of the value than the good old ESP950/E90 combo as a starter electrostat.  950 has it's own strengths so 2170 is not entirely better or anything but I do feel that it has a flatter response and a much better quality amp included with it for a similar price.

Good to know. Thank you for the update! :)

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #24,103 of 24,807
What does the Stax peanut gallery think about the SRM-1/MK2? Does $450 sound like a reasonable offer for one? I plan to drive Lambdas with it but may think about moving up the chain at some later point.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #24,105 of 24,807
Quote:
What does the Stax peanut gallery think about the SRM-1/MK2? Does $450 sound like a reasonable offer for one? I plan to drive Lambdas with it but may think about moving up the chain at some later point.

Definitely well regarded as a starter amp, as long as it is in good condition, or if you can do the old cap replacing yourself.  The price really depends on the model and the condition it's in (most on offer these days I'd guess are the Professional versions with one normal bias one pro bias outputs) but I personally was able to get one in great condition for $400 in the past and have seen others get it for lower. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back