The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #23,881 of 24,807
Quote:
I'd say keep the LCD2 until you get the Stax stuff in. Since they are so opposite to each other in every way possible, I'd say they are good complementing headphones to keep if you listen to a wide variety of music. But for metal (Meshuggah, Periphery and all that djent, nu/black metal) stuff the LCD's (well powered) hands down sound awesome.  

Ohh, that is true. Stax and metal often doesn't synergize too well...

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #23,883 of 24,807
Indeed, although the mk1 that I heard when I joined here that got me into stats sounded pretty good with metal, but the it is indeed apocalyptically dark and hard hitting sounding with the LCD headphones. I usually crank mine up to 90db's powered from the HP out of my vintage Marantz PM-32 amp just to enjoy it even more.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #23,884 of 24,807
Quote:
Indeed, although the mk1 that I heard when I joined here that got me into stats sounded pretty good with metal, but the it is indeed apocalyptically dark and hard hitting sounding with the LCD headphones. I usually crank mine up to 90db's powered from the HP out of my vintage Marantz PM-32 amp just to enjoy it even more.

One of the primary reasons I disliked the LCD-2s was the fact you needed to listen at really loud levels to enjoy anything.. and that is a precursor to tinnitus.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #23,885 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:

One of the primary reasons I disliked the LCD-2s was the fact you needed to listen at really loud levels to enjoy anything.. and that is a precursor to tinnitus.

Same with the 500's. I am positive I usually listen anywhere around 80-85dB depending on mood with the 500's, because they sound too dull when not listening loud. I am also afraid my ears are starting to suffer a bit from it, but volume is a tricky thing when you haven't got an SPL meter.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #23,886 of 24,807
I'm still young so my ear's should be good. 
size]

But yeah it's the ortho'ish laid back lush sound that you need to bring up a notch or two on the volume to really start hearing proper sound compared to other music.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #23,887 of 24,807
Quote:

Quote:
Same with the 500's. I am positive I usually listen anywhere around 80-85dB depending on mood with the 500's, because they sound too dull when not listening loud. I am also afraid my ears are starting to suffer a bit from it, but volume is a tricky thing when you haven't got an SPL meter.

I want to say you're underpowering them, but then I don't want to start another argument that results in me being banned from this thread. So yeah nevermind. Peace dudes. Live long and prosper.
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #23,888 of 24,807
Quote:
I want to say you're underpowering them, but then I don't want to start another argument that results in me being banned from this thread. So yeah nevermind. Peace dudes. Live long and prosper.
biggrin.gif

Don't want you banned, but I'll still reply. You are partially right, but what you call underpowered can actually be enjoyable if not severely underpowered IME. I have tried them on a speaker amp, and I was acually slightly fatigued. I do have a bit more than 1 watt to do with after all.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #23,892 of 24,807
Quote:

Pretty much my experience with every ortho I've owned (HE-6, LCD-2, LCD-3). BUT, the levels I use NEVER exceed 85dB and they sound great between 75-85dB. Pretty safe region. But lower than 75dB they can sound pretty lifeless.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #23,893 of 24,807
Quote:
In my case, you could consider they were overpowered in the setup I had the LCD-2s with. This is another reason why stats reign supreme, you can enjoy music at low volume levels.

Totally agree with this.  The HD800 well amped is good at low volume, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back