The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #23,536 of 24,807
Quote:
So can you guys list someone who sells a "high quality" American transformer or wall wart then?

A recommendation would be nice. What transformer do you guys use?

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #23,538 of 24,807
the ripple is 150MV P-P then you can half that  and take a bit off  and it will be around -50/60 MV rms. For 12V output its not exactly --"top of the range" I have built 80 W rms power amps under load with less ripple.I will check up on good "wall warts". Maybe somebody will advise before I find out. But as said above 2 switchers connected to each other can be bad news not every manufacturer has the same switching frequency imagine multiple harmonics interfering with the second switcher.as the coil and caps are there for a SET frequency coming from the original supply.IE-60 HZ.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #23,539 of 24,807
I found a US company that should give you a massive choice of wall warts that company is Jameco electronics.com. I think California but not sure. And they are reasonably priced  Its a well known company used by US electronic equipment builders.. Going by what was said in a previous post its 12 V at 0.700MA output . There are many to chose from buy one that is way OTT -IE- at least 1 amp or more 2 amps would be better . This will give you a power supply that isnt straining to output its designated voltage and current. . In other words DONT go for the  $10 shot -pay MORE for better build and component quality -$34 or so will get a good one.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #23,540 of 24,807
Quote:
Is it true that after a SRM-1/MK2 stands around for years without use it has to be send in to service (according to the description of the local seller the services boots the amp by slowly raising the volts)? I don't know, but I've never heard of that before for amps.

The price is great though, 200€.

The caps dry out with time so one way of reconditioning them is to slowly ramp up the voltage they see.  Personally I'd just replace the lot as there are so few caps in the SRM-1 Mk2. 

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #23,541 of 24,807
reforming only works if the caps haven't dried out - without electrolyte the ESR goes up (to the moon!)

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #23,542 of 24,807
So I've been really enjoying the SR007 the last few weeks and haven't touched my HD800 rig since. I'm seriously considering selling my HD800 rig and getting the SR009. The cost of my amp and the HD800 should cover a good amount of the cost. 

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #23,543 of 24,807
Quote:
I found a US company that should give you a massive choice of wall warts that company is Jameco electronics.com. I think California but not sure. And they are reasonably priced  Its a well known company used by US electronic equipment builders.. Going by what was said in a previous post its 12 V at 0.700MA output . There are many to chose from buy one that is way OTT -IE- at least 1 amp or more 2 amps would be better . This will give you a power supply that isnt straining to output its designated voltage and current. . In other words DONT go for the  $10 shot -pay MORE for better build and component quality -$34 or so will get a good one.

Okay I'll browse their selection and see if I can find one. Thank you for posting the website though! :)

Also, is there a term used for a + barrel? It gets kind of tedious to go through the data sheets to see if it's positive or not.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #23,544 of 24,807
 EVE TAN-Further to wall warts if you have deep pockets and want quality then there is a US company in Hudson. MA that sells medical and industrial power supplies called Protek power.com as this company sells to the medical profession it must have a very high degree of engineering precision  and VERY low ripple.If in the UK try Fidelity audio.co,UK 
                            As far as Spritzers comment on reforming caps it brings back memories of reforming  smoothing
                                  caps in old tube radios a lot had wet electrolytic and even though 60 or more years old the  
                                   reforming worked .I still have my home built "reformer" no mains transformer -highly dangerous  
                                    but works just fine. switchable for -350V DC to 240 V DC- 2 position for SLOW reforming   
                                      large resistor and after viewing result on a small voltmeter switchable to FAST [higher current]  
                                       That's the secret you don't do it all at once but in STAGES that gives better results.
     Sorry about the layout its one of my faults.

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #23,545 of 24,807
I'm still not totally sure that's the case. Why would the transformer make the amp hum, but not the transformer itself?

Correct me if I'm wrong, 120v wallwart + amp = buzz, 100v Stax wallwart + amp = no buzz?

Correct.

From the video the 120v wall wart is obviously a switcher and a switcher driving a switcher
Usually causes trouble due to switching currents.

So I need to get a non-switching transformer?

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #23,546 of 24,807
Quote:
So I've been really enjoying the SR007 the last few weeks and haven't touched my HD800 rig since. I'm seriously considering selling my HD800 rig and getting the SR009. The cost of my amp and the HD800 should cover a good amount of the cost. 

Stax all the way huh?  Heck, you can sell the 007 and cover the full cost.

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #23,547 of 24,807
Quote:

Once you go Stax you don't go back.
L3000.gif

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #23,548 of 24,807
Quote:
A recommendation would be nice. What transformer do you guys use?

+1

It would be nice if the more educated members here could just recommend a specific wall wart that should technically work fine with a Japanese SRM-252S in the U.S.. I don't think we mind paying a little extra for quality and peace of mind but as a newb coming into the world of Stax international voltage issues it can get a little confusing when people say just buy any 12v 1amp wall wart. Just help us out by pointing to a few specific products that will/should work fine.

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #23,550 of 24,807

I'm getting close. I could probably do with just the sr007 so jot sure yet but my hd800 is just there all lonely and stuff. There's a wait for the 009 at price Japan and I don't like waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back