The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #21,256 of 24,807
Quote:
I noticed a problem today with my Stax SR-303. Whenever very low bass notes/tones play, I hear a very loud rattle unless I press the earspeakers against my head. It's so loud that I can hear it without placing the headphones fully on my head. What is going on?

I am freaking out right now. My AKG K167 broke literally yesterday, I can't handle my only remaining headphone having obnoxious problems like this.

Hope it won't turn into something expensive..

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #21,258 of 24,807
Look inside the earcup and see if the glue that holds the driver has dislodged. 

Looks like there's some hair and glue particles under the mesh grille. What do I do about that?

EDIT: Fixed that, but there's still rattle. Took the pads off but the driver doesn't seem "loose" or anything...

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #21,259 of 24,807
Quote:

Yes. 

thanks, just wanted to make sure i wouldn't let the smoke out. <grin>
the 407 is new and they're so close in sound i just want to see if i can pick them out "blind" . My feeling is that the 407's are slightly more resolving than the Lambda nb . running them simultaneously will help me decide if this is true

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #21,260 of 24,807
Quote:
Thinker posted:-

I hope he doesn't have second thoughts.....

So, you calling the dude an alien and/or an elephant?

He's allowed his opinion - even if it is wrong.

I got 4 emails after cancelling the review, people who are serious about headphones,one member who uses DIY

polypropylene/epoxy/glass fiber composites and Yamamoto pins on Stax sockets to get the best sound out of Staxes! a guy who lives in Russia

Second email from a member of a headphone club in Europe who have already compared BHSE and Malvalve .I might give a review not sure about it (Head-fi has become almost a Kindergarten) 
Regarding to that email Malvalve should sound on Staxes very powerfull,airy ,organic and  with very deep soundstage with the famous Malvalve PRaT.
Time will tell if the Malvalve is seculari terminus on stat amps.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #21,261 of 24,807
A Kindergarden or back to the middle ages when magical thinking was as prevalent as it is becoming again, unfortunately.
Or some of us are not really serious about headphones.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #21,262 of 24,807
One must remember to sacrifice something to appease the audio gods.  Don't mess with Baldur!!! 

Quote:

Looks like there's some hair and glue particles under the mesh grille. What do I do about that?

EDIT: Fixed that, but there's still rattle. Took the pads off but the driver doesn't seem "loose" or anything...

Can't remove the mesh without potentially breaking the driver. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #21,263 of 24,807
I like to add that i got also information that Head amp three is selling quite well because there exist high demand of good Stax amps,i think the demand is in Asia area, the price has already increased to 4390  euros
Malvalve offers also pure Stax amps wich are two models above Head amp three price tag close to 10K and where WES and BHSE looks like toys in comparison

kopfhör er -ver stär ker 
head amp three 2x12W 2xECC81/4xEF184/4x6V6  
Stax kopfhörerverstärker
head amp one 2x100W 2xECC83/4xEF184/4xECC88+4x6550
head amp four 2x....W 4xECC88/2xECC81/4xEF184/8xoutput tube      i.vorber. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #21,264 of 24,807
Can anyone at least explain why my problem fixes itself as long as I add additional clamping pressure? I find that to me the most bizarre detail of it all.

I have three sets of Lambda pads (and four sets of filters), if I have to I'll just glue the damn things on top of each other to fix this.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #21,265 of 24,807
Quote:
A Kindergarden or back to the middle ages when magical thinking was as prevalent as it is becoming again, unfortunately.
Or some of us are not really serious about headphones.

Great post, gilency. I think the primary driver for such beliefs is that our hearing is based so much more on moods and psychology rather than the equipment itself.
@thinker, I'd love to see the Malvalve review, it does look to have a great functionality aspect but, as others have mentioned, the interface design is pretty atrocious.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #21,269 of 24,807
Quote:
Can anyone at least explain why my problem fixes itself as long as I add additional clamping pressure? I find that to me the most bizarre detail of it all.

I have three sets of Lambda pads (and four sets of filters), if I have to I'll just glue the damn things on top of each other to fix this.

Sounds like an issue with the dust seals, perhaps??

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #21,270 of 24,807
The cool thing about science is that even if you don't believe in it, it's still true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back