The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #20,656 of 24,807
Quote:
can you give me the dimension? i would like to know if it big enough for my woo double headphone stand.

thanks

I have that stand and the Stax bag is big enough to go around the whole stand.  It's a tight fit for 2 headphones though, depending on what the 2nd headphone is.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #20,657 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:
Some of the semiconductors are now from manufacturers not based in japan.

for example on the sr-002 portable amplifier, the jfet opamps are AD822A
and the pre-regulator is LTC3127.

I'm new to this thread,

What fet do the other Stax drivers use?

The AD822A is a relatively cheap chip with extramely slow slew rate.

It's not the drivers/earspeakers, but the amplifiers that have the semiconductors.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #20,658 of 24,807
Quote:
It's not the drivers/earspeakers, but the amplifiers that have the semiconductors.

Stax refers to its amplifiers as driver units. It calls its headphones earspeakers...

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #20,660 of 24,807
Ehhh What?  If the diaphragm were able to hit the stator (which it can't) then you would have a lot of worries besides lower quality sound...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588716/vintage-stax-repair-and-maintenance/30

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #20,662 of 24,807
I need a little help on some troubleshooting...

My SRM-717 has cut out while playing a few times now.  
  1. There is no noise, just a sudden drop out in volume.  
  2. If I keep the source feeding and push the gain all the way up I can start to hear faint music, but it sounds a bit distorted.
  3. The power light is still on.  
  4. I tried a few different headphones, no change.  
  5. I confirmed that the source is OK, it's playing fine now with an SRM-300.  The only difference would be that I'm feeding the 717 balanced and the 300 unbalanced.

This happened a few nights ago. I fired it up to take a quick reading of L- to bias (41 Volts when working and after it cuts out) and found that it was working again.  It failed again in around an hour in the same way.

Just looking for some ideas on where to go first/next trouble shooting.  I do hate intermittent faults!

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #20,664 of 24,807
RE:  covering Stax headphones when not in use

The drivers themselves have dust covers internal to the earcup. Dust in your environment can't get into the driver unless the internal dust seals are compromised.  Putting the headphones inside a plastic tent will keep dust off the framework and the leather surfaces, but does nothing useful in terms of the drivers.  They drivers  are already protected from dust when the headphones come from the factory.

Without the internal dust seals, the headphones would really never work at all.  Dust would be BOUND to get into the driver, even at the factory.  The drivers are assembled in a clean room, as I understand it; they are built in an essentially dust-free environment and then sealed into their dust shields. 

The clearances between stator and diaphragm are so tight that any kind of dust in there would really cause sonic trouble.  Electrostatic headphone drivers have to be sealed behind plastic membranes. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #20,666 of 24,807
Quote:
can you give me the dimension? i would like to know if it big enough for my woo double headphone stand.

thanks

Its a comfortable fit for my Woo Single but I can't see it fitting over the Woo Double.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #20,667 of 24,807
My 717 has cut sound two times on very hot summer days, due to overheating. When the amp cools down, it should work again.
On two or three other occasions, inserting the plug from the headphones while the amp was on caused the amp to go into this 'protection mode'. Switching off the amp and disconnecting power for a few seconds, then switching it back on made it work again. This is very rare though. Normally when I disconnect or connect headphones while the amp is on, nothing happens.
I have read reports of 717s overheating due to being configured for the wrong voltage. For example the amp could be set for 220 volt when the line voltage is actually 230 volt, in which case it's better to set the amp for 240 volt operation.
Can any of these points be the source of your problem?

Quote:
I need a little help on some troubleshooting...

My SRM-717 has cut out while playing a few times now.  
  1. There is no noise, just a sudden drop out in volume.  
  2. If I keep the source feeding and push the gain all the way up I can start to hear faint music, but it sounds a bit distorted.
  3. The power light is still on.  
  4. I tried a few different headphones, no change.  
  5. I confirmed that the source is OK, it's playing fine now with an SRM-300.  The only difference would be that I'm feeding the 717 balanced and the 300 unbalanced.

This happened a few nights ago. I fired it up to take a quick reading of L- to bias (41 Volts when working and after it cuts out) and found that it was working again.  It failed again in around an hour in the same way.

Just looking for some ideas on where to go first/next trouble shooting.  I do hate intermittent faults!

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #20,668 of 24,807
I doubt its overheating, unless it's dirty inside... I'll be opening it up when I have a few minutes to check that.  It's cool here in the UK as is the listening room.  Plenty of ventilation around the unit.  

The voltage question is interesting... It is set for 220V.  When I checked my line yesterday it was just over 230V. Tonight (late) I checked it and it was dancing between 238 and 240V.  Interesting stuff.  I will change the voltage setting after opening and cleaning.

Thanks all for the suggestions.  I will keep you posted if you're really bored and interested.

Quote:
My 717 has cut sound two times on very hot summer days, due to overheating. When the amp cools down, it should work again.
On two or three other occasions, inserting the plug from the headphones while the amp was on caused the amp to go into this 'protection mode'. Switching off the amp and disconnecting power for a few seconds, then switching it back on made it work again. This is very rare though. Normally when I disconnect or connect headphones while the amp is on, nothing happens.
I have read reports of 717s overheating due to being configured for the wrong voltage. For example the amp could be set for 220 volt when the line voltage is actually 230 volt, in which case it's better to set the amp for 240 volt operation.
Can any of these points be the source of your problem?

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #20,669 of 24,807
Someone has compared these amp : 

SRM600ltd
SR717
SR727
SR007t
SRM T-1(S)

?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back