The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #20,116 of 24,807
Hey, not so fast. Your amp is a WOO Wes, so tubes. I had the exact same problem with my SR-007s fed by my DAC (tubed and my Pre (tubed).

I spent quite a while trying to find the source of the static. It was a washy in and out sort of static, and only in the right channel. If it is similar sounding to that, and quite low volume I would say it is one of these:

Dirty tube pins (clean carefully with de-oxit or fine rubbing compound, then with pure alcohol)
Dirty RCA connections (clean them with pure alcohol)
Poor case earthing (try a ground wire between the case of the amp and your pre amp or DAC
Capacitor failing in your source (pre amp or WOO Wes) Doubt if its the WOO caps as new
Old tubes (how many hours use?)
Dry solder joint in your source (DAC or pre-amp if used) Would imagine the WOO is ok?
Dirty Mains or radio noise (try at night when everyone else is asleep, and switch the fridge and any satellite TV boxes off)

For my money, I would suspect the tube pins or tube itself. They can commonly emit noise. Try swopping the signal tubes round
to the other channel. Also listen to the tubes after warm up (back ground hiss and noise) Does it happen less after warm up?

My static was my Caps in my DAC. The old ones leaked, so I bought V-Teflons, which cured it almost. However, 200 hours later,
when the caps were run in, it disappeared. Actually how new is your WOO Wes? If it's still running in 200 or less, it might be that,
and thus should settle down after some more hours use.

Hope this hlps.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #20,120 of 24,807
I just had to share this since this is what it is really all about (in addition to the hokey pokey, of course)

From a message I got yesterday, sender's name redacted.

"I spent a portion of the weekend playing with the amp. I placed the tubes in the correct order
as you described, then let them stabilize for 2 hours and then checked the bias.

I then proceeded to listen to it with my 404LEs. The sound is absolutely
amazing. Could not stop listening to various music. This is my first venture into electrostats.
I have tried Grados and an HD 600, but have been most unimpressed with these headphones and head
phones in general.
The SRM T1S is............... working great.................. this ranks as one of the best purchases I have made for
my audio listening. I am very happy with this."

Once you hear Stax, you can never go bax  
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #20,121 of 24,807
Quote:

A different question, but much earlier in this thread I think I read that using the loop out in Stax amps you have to turn on the other equipment or it changes the output impedence thus may change the sound... or something along those lines...  is this true? Perhaps it was just that particular amp or something... 006t I think it was.

When you series connect components then the impedance the source "sees" will change.  For most sources this shouldn't matter. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #20,122 of 24,807
Quote:
A working SRM-T1 is garbage?

My thoughts exactly...the bundled Sigma and SR-3 are icing on that delicious cake.

I only just noticed that the Sigma's headband seems to be broken, but if I'm not mistaken, any vintage (not Nova/numerical) Lambda headband/arc will fit, making replacement parts fairly easy to acquire.

Still, I'm hoping that it's not a case of thinking that "everything that isn't the SR-007, SR-009, KGSSHV and BHSE is garbage!" because they're not the most expensive of Stax equipment. (As if anyone would call an amp that frequently sells for $500+ "cheap"...)

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #20,123 of 24,807
I just acquired a Stax SR3 and SRD-5 on eBay so I'm joining the Head-Fi club now.  :)  Unfortunately the "works great" e-Bay headphones do so only for the first 3 minutes or so and then the left ear starts slowing fading down in volume until the balance control on my preamp needs to eventually end at full rotation after about 10-15 minutes.

I've tried pumping high volume pink noise through it overnight and that only made it sound distorted when I first tried it in the morning and then it faded out again.

Is this a common problem? I'll likely change out the capacitors in the SRD-5 but I suspect the fading is from the SR3's.

The fading out of the left earspeaker starts within 30 seconds of listening.
The one minute of music does sound great though! If I follow the fading with the balance control on my preamp, I can get a full song and I am happy with the performance.

I tried unplugging the SR3's and shorting all the pins to discharge residual charges and then plugged them back in; still weak on left ear.

If I leave it for a few hours and come back, balance is now good and then starts to fade again as music is played.

If I need to open up the SR3, does anyone know of any instructions on the web on how to do this properly and safely?

Any suggestions from the vintage Stax guru's?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #20,125 of 24,807
I was just going by what I saw in the pictures and it looks like they were found by a dumpster diver. The T1, Sigma etc are really good Stax products but those ones are abused and in about as poor of condition as I have ever seen.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #20,126 of 24,807
Quote:
I was just going by what I saw in the pictures and it looks like they were found by a dumpster diver. The T1, Sigma etc are really good Stax products but those ones are abused and in about as poor of condition as I have ever seen.

And they sold for $1025!

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #20,130 of 24,807
Ya, I kinda guessed so but I thought I should ask first. Who knows if someone is hiding a pair of these in his cupboard? 
ph34r.gif

I have temporarily glued a pair of O2 pads on these & it actually sounds quite good with them but ofc looks absolutely hideous. Also I am curious how it would sound with the stock pads.
I sent a mail to MB quart, let's see if they have any of the old stock left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back