The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #15,586 of 24,807

Quote:
I just bought a SRM-323S for the sole reason of documenting how this is done.  It was childsplay with the 323A so hopefully the new amps are just as easy to modify. 

Can you give us a quick A/B comparison with your KGSS? Supposedly the 323S gets pretty close, if that's true I may sell my KGSS and use a 323S until a commercial KGSS-HV is available.

May 21, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #15,587 of 24,807
Hello,

I'm considering buying a Stax system but I have a few questions beforhands.

1) I listened to a 323II (european version) + 507, wired to a Micromega CD-30. I felt the overall sound signature was artificially bright and digital. Is the Micromega CD-30 responsible for this ? Is it a bright CD player ? It surely felt to be a good quality one (and it's priced around 1000 euros in France), but it might just have a very clear sound signature.

2) Would it be foolish to plug a 323 into a Hifiman HM-801 LO with a mini to RCA cable, from the SD card (not the USB option as it is supposed to be detrimental to SQ) ? I've heard the 801 competes very VERY favorably to desktop DAC of its price range. A post even said it was better used this way than an Audio GD DAC 19. I'm not asking if this is an optimal setup, but how will it compete to other DACs in the HM-801 price range. Also, and very important, would that combination be warmer / more organic sounding than the Micromega CD-30 I tried ?
You might want to ask why I'm thinking about this. It's because I'd like to use the 801 as a portable source as well with my upcoming DT 1350, and I'd like my source to be not "CD based" and not wired to my laptop all the time. Also it means I'd only have to manage one source of content.

3) Is there any advantage going for the 507 over the 407 ? The specs between the 307 and 407 are different, but they seem a lot closer between the 407 and 507. Only the impedance seems to change a little bit, and that might just be because of the cable. That makes me wonder if the driver is the same between the two Particularly : has the 407 retained the "etched" sound signature of its predecessors, or is it closer to the 507 in that regard ? Any difference about soundstage ?
I precise that I listened to a pair of SR 303 as well, and they were quite close to the SR 507, but with some sort of edge in the upper mids and treble area that really disturbed me.

4) Is there any real and substantial analysis about the influence of a voltage converter on sound quality ? I'd most likely import the system from Japan (ex : AudiocubeII) and I've read everything and its countrary about that issue. Would the defaut converter sold by AudiocubeII be enough ? Has anybody tried it ?

Thanks !

May 21, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #15,589 of 24,807

I stopped using my KGSS after getting the 323S. The 323S sounds just as good to me, it's compact, it consumes less power and generates less heat, it has a power switch on the front, and it has a nice single attenuator.

I'm curious about the sound difference between the KGSS/323S and the BHSE when listening to the SR-007 mk1. Does the BHSE really sound better at normal listening volume and what is better about its sound?

May 21, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #15,590 of 24,807

Quote:
Hello,

2) Would it be foolish to plug a 323 into a Hifiman HM-801 LO with a mini to RCA cable, from the SD card (not the USB option as it is supposed to be detrimental to SQ) ? I've heard the 801 competes very VERY favorably to desktop DAC of its price range. A post even said it was better used this way than an Audio GD DAC 19. I'm not asking if this is an optimal setup, but how will it compete to other DACs in the HM-801 price range. Also, and very important, would that combination be warmer / more organic sounding than the Micromega CD-30 I tried ?

4) Is there any real and substantial analysis about the influence of a voltage converter on sound quality ? I'd most likely import the system from Japan (ex : AudiocubeII) and I've read everything and its countrary about that issue. Would the defaut converter sold by AudiocubeII be enough ? Has anybody tried it ?

Thanks !

I can't comment on the sound of the Micromega, but my HM-801 sounded very good via its line output into my SRM-1 Mk2. The HM-801 is a better DAC than the $300-500 stuff, but at its price or a little above, it's likely to be beaten. The Burson, W4S, or Anedio DACs for example would likely make short work of it. The USB DAC on the 801 sounds pretty bad, and really should be considered only for last resort.

Ive seen a few reports about voltage converters being very detrimental to the sound, a better idea if you want to import an amp is to simply re-wire it (or have someone technical do it for you), I wouldn't recommend Audiocubes either. Lots of very negative reports lately about terrible communication, and orders taking ages and ages to actually ship. Frankly AC's prices aren't that great either.

May 21, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #15,591 of 24,807

Quote:
Ive seen a few reports about voltage converters being very detrimental to the sound, a better idea if you want to import an amp is to simply re-wire it (or have someone technical do it for you), I wouldn't recommend Audiocubes either. Lots of very negative reports lately about terrible communication, and orders taking ages and ages to actually ship. Frankly AC's prices aren't that great either.

Thank you. Where have you seen those reports ? Because I see a zillion posts telling that using voltage converters is bad, and another zillion telling me that it does not have any incidence on sound quality (of course using the right converter). But I see no post at all where somedy has actually experienced for real a deterioration in SQ because of a voltage converter.

I'm insistent on that issue because it means to me saving pretty much 600 euros. I can get the 323S imported for barely more than 600 euros. I'd have to spend double that amount to get it in Europe. That means that as long as the voltage converter I'd have to get not to deteriorate the SQ is lower than 600 euros, I'm still saving money.

So if there is some real data about it, that would be nice. Otherwise I'll just take the risk and let my wallet do the thinking.

Oh, and what do you "staxists" think about Bluetin Japan ? Is it serious ?

May 21, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #15,592 of 24,807
I only listen 407 + a shaky SRM-1 MK2 PP less than an hour.  However, I will never use "etchy" to describe 407.  I am using Audio-GD Ref-1 (current Ref-7) balanced DAC, which is known for very analogue sound.  The high freq is very smooth and much less sharp edges compare to my Beyer T1 + Phoenix.  Still I can hear good details.  However, maybe due to the imbalance of the SRM-1, the focus is not good and the bass is rich but loose.  Hopefully, my coming 323s will fix those issues.  I'll update later.

As for voltage converter, let's wait for Spritzer gave us some details.  Rewiring may be easy.  We'll see.

May 22, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #15,593 of 24,807
Thanks for the answer.

I found some decent prices in the UK (at least close enough to a Japanese amp + good step down converter). Am I right to think that all Stax amps sold within the EU are the same ? Or has Stax put up some additionnal trick to bother my money saving schemes ?

May 22, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #15,595 of 24,807
A properly made voltage converter (i,e, a full fledged transformer) should be beneficial to the sound as it stops all the DC floating on the mains from entering the amp and messing with its transformer.  Now most voltage converters aren't this good as they are auto-formers but still they shouldn't hurt in any way. 

All Stax amps of the same type are the same everywhere in the world, regardless of what suffix is added to the name (A/II etc.).  The Japanese models have special measures designed to make it hard to switch to 117/230V but I've never seen an amp I couldn't  convert. 

May 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #15,596 of 24,807

Quote:
A properly made voltage converter (i,e, a full fledged transformer) should be beneficial to the sound as it stops all the DC floating on the mains from entering the amp and messing with its transformer.  Now most voltage converters aren't this good as they are auto-formers but still they shouldn't hurt in any way. 

All Stax amps of the same type are the same everywhere in the world, regardless of what suffix is added to the name (A/II etc.).  The Japanese models have special measures designed to make it hard to switch to 117/230V but I've never seen an amp I couldn't  convert. 

Thank you. Would you have an example of what type of converter I should be looking for ? Any recommandation ? If the bad ones are called "auto-formers", what's the name of the type of converter you recommend me ? 

May 23, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #15,598 of 24,807

Quote:

Here is a plan B - or is it C? Sola/HD in the USA sells constant voltage transformers. The CVS line regulates voltage within 1% and blocks 40dB of noise and 6000 volts of surge. The MCR line regulates to 3% and blocks more noise and more surge current. Unlike a normal power supply, they pass up to 92% of the current going in. There are stand alone units, but these you hard wire into your circuit or put an outlet box at the end. Did I mention that since you wire them you can have different voltages going in and out, up or down? I can wire these to accept higher voltage foreign equipment from my 120v or hook it up to my 240v line and run 120v from it. 50hz as well as 60hz units are available. Between that and the regular wall plugs I can mix and match gear regardless of where it was made, within reason. Much easier than converting individual pieces.

They are posted used all the time on eBay, and if they seem expensive remember that they put all the audiophile power supplies, line conditioners, AC cords and other overpriced assorted crap to shame. So sell the junk and get one of these. I just scored a 750VA unit, used, for $89 on the bay. If you get a new one it will have a ten year warranty, Try that with consumer audio equipment.

PS I have used these since 1971. Even if you do not require a different voltage, your equipment will thank you for it. They are big, heavy transformers and hum a bit, so put them on the other side of the wall from your listening room.

May 23, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #15,599 of 24,807
I tried the SR-202 and Lambda Pros recently and preferred the latter.  Anyone know which of the modern Stax models sound closest to the Lambda Pros?  If I recall correctly the Pros had prominent and tight mid-bass, the 202s a bit more sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back