The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #15,526 of 24,807
I would like to check with you guys getting new Stax at US.   What is the place with better chance to get warranty service?   Price Japan seems to be good at delivery time.  I just read some post about that the channel imbalance may occur even with new pair.  Thanks for your input!

Edit:  No one has ever needed warranty service?  Good to know that.

May 8, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #15,527 of 24,807

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I'm sorry for going a bit off topic, but I didn't really want to start a new thread on this since I'm not going to buy anything at this moment.

I recently got an O2 MKI and an eXStatA (built by Sachu), and I think they sound fantastic. My source in my bedroom is a DacMagic, and as I run a second headphone rig as well I reckoned my first upgrade path should be replacing the DAC which is not really on par with the headphones. I might have a chance of listening to a 727A in July and that might change things, but right now, I'm considering a source replacement.

My budget is of around 1.300 dollars, and I don't mind buying used. Milos suggested vintage R2R as well as Parasound and Assemblage units. I prefer an overall neutral, balanced and refined sound. I tend to prefer a slightly warmer signature, but at the same time clarity and transparency is very important. What other options do you guys think I should look for?

Thanks in advance!

Glad you are liking it dude..I am just not into headphones anymore else would've kept it. ANd I agree with you..the O2 DOES sound nice with the exstata.  AM curious to hear your thorughts comparing it to the 727.

As for a source..I'd listen to Milos. Parasound and Assemblage units are biggest bang for the buck.

If you can get a Reimyo DAP777 on the cheap go for it (on par with the assemblage DAC 2.7). Or a sonic frontiers SFD2mk2 or mk3 (VERY rare).

Also, do yourself a favor and grab hold of these RCA cables..the best I have heard by a HUGE margin. I haven't yet tried them as digital interconnects which is what they were originally intended for and supposed to be superlative in that area.

I have them as my speaker cables as well.

I just paid for an Assemblage DAC 3.1 so i can free up the DAC 2.7 for headphone duty.

In the rare event I find myself not wanting one of the Assemblage units, i'll let you know. :)

May 8, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #15,528 of 24,807
Hey Sachu!

I'm definitely enjoying the combo! I can't say for now how it compares to a 727, but I really like what I'm hearing. There's going to be a meet soon here in Rio and I'll invite Erico, and I hope he can come and bring his 727 for us to compare it with the eXStatA. I'm not sure if it's an actual possibility, but I hope so!

Thanks for the input regarding the DAC (and the interconnect!) as well, Sachu! As much as I'm interested in the Anedio, you guys are convincing me that vintage DACs are the way to go in my case. And if you do wish to sell one of your DACs, please please let me know!! There's finally someone with real interest in my integrated that's for sale, so I'm hoping I'll have the money to invest on the DAC soon. I'll wait for the meet to see if anything catches my fancy, but I think that's unlikely.

Well, anyway, thanks for building a great sounding amp, Sachu! :)

May 9, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #15,529 of 24,807
Today I was doing some cleaning chores and found a super bright small led flashlight. I decided to try and see inside the SRM-600 without opening the chassis. It seems Stax are using alot of ELNA parts (caps/resistors) inside. Yes, quite a pointless reply :)

May 9, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #15,530 of 24,807
Do the SR007 and the SR003S also have the new SEP (super engineering plastic) membrane ?
One post of Spritzer seems to indicate that for the 007 (...MK2.5...) since autumn 2010 (serial no 3xxxx)
and www.stax.co.jp listed the SR003 under the 'new lambda series'.
What about the thickness or weight, how much is it decreased with SEP ?

May 9, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #15,531 of 24,807
As of today, I am a new member of the Stax thread and fellowship. I bought a very nice condition SR-30 and SRD-4 adapter from a fellow Head-Fi member, they arrived today, and I have already listened to them. Sure enough, they sound quite fine. This further wets my appetite for a Lambda series earspeaker, such as the Nova Signature, SR 407 or SR 507. Summer gets well up into triple digits around here, so I am also considering the SR 003, due to the seat factor with circumaural phones. Lots of reading ahead (this is a long thread)! 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #15,532 of 24,807

Glad you are liking it dude..I am just not into headphones anymore else would've kept it. ANd I agree with you..the O2 DOES sound nice with the exstata.  AM curious to hear your thorughts comparing it to the 727.

As for a source..I'd listen to Milos. Parasound and Assemblage units are biggest bang for the buck.

If you can get a Reimyo DAP777 on the cheap go for it (on par with the assemblage DAC 2.7). Or a sonic frontiers SFD2mk2 or mk3 (VERY rare).

Also, do yourself a favor and grab hold of these RCA cables..the best I have heard by a HUGE margin. I haven't yet tried them as digital interconnects which is what they were originally intended for and supposed to be superlative in that area.

I have them as my speaker cables as well.

I just paid for an Assemblage DAC 3.1 so i can free up the DAC 2.7 for headphone duty.

In the rare event I find myself not wanting one of the Assemblage units, i'll let you know. :)

May 10, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #15,533 of 24,807
Something really strange is happening tonight with  my e-mail.  I was unable to enter any text in the above post or even edit the comment in.  I seem to have a bunch of problems since getting Explorer 9.

So what I wanted to say was that the cable referenced above seems to be using Eichmann bullets (bad name I know) for connectors.  I have these is several cables myself and feel they add something to the sound.  Rather than a large ground surface they just use a small metal contact.

May 11, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #15,535 of 24,807
DEW EET!

Definitely on subject.
It will provide that STAX fix on the cheap while you wait two years for your high end stat amp to be built.
Plus you will also need time to save for those SR-009's.

I love my 202's. Best money I have ever spent on headphones. And they didn't break the bank either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back