The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #15,001 of 24,807
And Singlepower's been out too. Who's left to build a decent Stax Omega amplifier???? I have an Omega coming and nothing to plug it into...

KGSS lead time is 2 YEARS???? Blue Hawaii is out of my price range. Stax 717 is tough to get. This is pretty depressing for having spent so much money and no good amplification options.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #15,002 of 24,807

Quote:
And Singlepower's been out too. Who's left to build a decent Stax Omega amplifier???? I have an Omega coming and nothing to plug it into...

KGSS lead time is 2 YEARS???? Blue Hawaii is out of my price range. Stax 717 is tough to get. This is pretty depressing for having spent so much money and no good amplification options.

wow, you jumped past the Omega 2 for the more elusive Omega, impressive.

There are other options like trying to build yourself an amp.  Or you can try to get some feelers out for a builder to put one together for you.  But I understand, I bought my SR007mk1 before I had anything to drive it.  Now I'm working on an amp or two to get the most out of the O2.

Good luck!

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #15,003 of 24,807
Whoops OMG. The Omega naming system is annoying. I meant Omega 2 MK 1 haha

I actually preferred the MK1 over the Omega. Thanks for the wishes. My electrical engineering skills are non-existent.... :frowning2:

Quote:
wow, you jumped past the Omega 2 for the more elusive Omega, impressive.

There are other options like trying to build yourself an amp.  Or you can try to get some feelers out for a builder to put one together for you.  But I understand, I bought my SR007mk1 before I had anything to drive it.  Now I'm working on an amp or two to get the most out of the O2.

Good luck!

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #15,004 of 24,807

Quote:

I am currently on the savings track for something like the SR-507 and the KGSS but to hear that there is a 2 year wait is discouraging news.  This is going to illustrate my ignorance about Stax headphone amplifier options but are Electrostatic speaker amplifiers an option?  I was looking at this recently - totally out of my price range but there may be other amps available at something more realistic: http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/products/amplifiers/esl-amp

I've been following the HE-6 comments lately with folks keen on using speaker amps and getting good results.  Is something like the above even remotely possible?

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #15,006 of 24,807

Quote:
Where did you hear the KGSS's lead time is 2 years?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531743/new-listening-impressions-of-stax-c32-prototype/90#post_7178590

Well here is one though probably exaggerated and for the BHSE. Still built by Justin so I don't expect the KGSS to be somehow fast to finish. I don't think I can wait even half a year (which seems to be the under-estimated estimate) for an amp if I don't have anything... However, I seem to have found someone that will sell me a good amp. :)

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #15,009 of 24,807

Quote:
sr-003 vs sr-202/sr-207 (can only afford either srs-005s or srs-2170)

Which has less colored vocal range (read: no added warmth/fullness)? Thanks

I'd go the lambdas. The lambdas all have a pretty natural vocal range (i.e. not artifically bloated/heavy) and are all fairly similar in response - just slight differences.

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #15,010 of 24,807

Quote:

I know what you mean, believe me. Frankly the KGSS-HV is a much better option at this point anyway. If you are unable to build your own, you can likely find a builder for one. Also, if I remember right Spritzer may be willing to fix SRM-727s so they actually sound good.

There is also still Woo and RSA, although they are not up to the BHSE level.

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #15,011 of 24,807

Quote:

I am currently on the savings track for something like the SR-507 and the KGSS but to hear that there is a 2 year wait is discouraging news.  This is going to illustrate my ignorance about Stax headphone amplifier options but are Electrostatic speaker amplifiers an option?  I was looking at this recently - totally out of my price range but there may be other amps available at something more realistic: http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/products/amplifiers/esl-amp

I've been following the HE-6 comments lately with folks keen on using speaker amps and getting good results.  Is something like the above even remotely possible?

Seems possible since Woo Audio made something like the WEE, but it's way over my head. I would like to know too.

Quote:
I know what you mean, believe me. Frankly the KGSS-HV is a much better option at this point anyway. If you are unable to build your own, you can likely find a builder for one. Also, if I remember right Spritzer may be willing to fix SRM-727s so they actually sound good.

Didn't Spritzer leave due to some arguments with some Head-fiers? That would be a shame.

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #15,013 of 24,807

Quote:
A quick question... I´d appreciate it a lot if someone answers fast, as I have an opportunity to get a used STAX amp and I have to decide tomorrow.

Can 230V euro XLR polarity STAX amps use STAX earspeakers imported from Japan? I know the Japanese STAX amps use a different XLR polarity that makes DAC pairing hard in same cases, but is the actual headphone cable pin order exactly the same? (in other words, compatible with any STAX amp with PRO BIAS)

You can reverse the polarity with a bit of tweaking added to the interconnect cable, this is how my friend uses it after he noticed this accidentally and now XLR sounds better.

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #15,014 of 24,807
Quote:
sr-003 vs sr-202/sr-207 (can only afford either srs-005s or srs-2170)

Which has less colored vocal range (read: no added warmth/fullness)? Thanks

The SR-003 has a warmer midrange for sure (quite similar to the O2 IMO). As for which one is the least colored, I think it's debatable. The Lambdas sound more colored to my ears because of the lack of low mids.

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #15,015 of 24,807

Quote:
The SR-003 has a warmer midrange for sure (quite similar to the O2 IMO). As for which one is the least colored, I think it's debatable. The Lambdas sound more colored to my ears because of the lack of low mids.

I find excess low-mids and lack of high-mids more atmospheric, but less onstage, intimate and engaging. I just want the ones most faithful to the recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back