The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #1,081 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomo.is.ooc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(snip) Sennheiser HD 580's ... that cost $4.(snip!)

Wow, I'd have to say that's deal of the century status right there. I paid quite a bit more for mine, and it was more than worth it to me - that's just an utter steal!!

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #1,082 of 2,080
Quote:

Browsing my favorite thrift store for some cheap vinyl today and decided to walk over to the electronics area (found a nice CD player about a year back) where I was extremely surprised to find a pair of Sennheiser HD 580's sitting on the shelf. I immediately grabbed them and plugged 'em into my iPhone to see if they worked. Immediately blown away is truly the only way to describe my feeling.

I now have an amazing pair of headphones that cost $4. These are most definitely replacing my DR150's, they just sound so much more relaxed and smooth. Needless to say, I'm truly amazed by these headphones.

I think this might be the greatest deal in the history of head-fi. Why can't I have your luck?

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #1,084 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi!! congrats on your purchase. There is a guy that sells the 600 grilles on eBay, but I haven't seen them for a few weeks. I also saw a set on the FS forum here (cables, speakers, tweaks, accessories) but they sold quickly. Since these are a purely cosmetic mod, I'd not sweat it too much. $50 US/grille is outrageous, I'd say hell no to that too.

Happy listening!

ORIGINAL GRILL SENNHEISER HD600 HD580 NEW! - eBay (item 110446551268 end time Jan-14-10 10:52:15 PST)

30 bucks each... woof
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #1,085 of 2,080
I just got a pair from another Head-Fi'r- I had the HD650 before and liked them but eventually sold them to buy other things. I figured I would put 650 drivers in them but the way they sound to me now leaves me thinking they are fine as is. A nice surprise at how good they sound (balanced in particular).

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #1,086 of 2,080
I definitely freaked out a bit when I saw them, since I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd find a recent pair of headphones at a thrift store.

Having used them for about a day now, I stand by my original statement, they really are amazing. The best thing is that I don't really notice them on my head, which is great and hard to find since I have a kind of large head and wear glasses. Combined with the amazing sound, I feel like I've settled on a great pair of phones. Honestly, the price was definitely a cool part, but I'd easily pay well into the $150-$200 range for these (can't go much more, with the student budget). I now need to either get an amp or have my Starving student parts mailed up from home and finish it.

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #1,088 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzVinyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered the 600 grills for my 580's from Sennheiser, middle of last week. They were $11.20 each.

Ahhh, but those eBay ones improve sound quality of your 580's.....
rolleyes.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #1,090 of 2,080
Quote:

I definitely freaked out a bit when I saw them, since I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd find a recent pair of headphones at a thrift store.

Having used them for about a day now, I stand by my original statement, they really are amazing. The best thing is that I don't really notice them on my head, which is great and hard to find since I have a kind of large head and wear glasses. Combined with the amazing sound, I feel like I've settled on a great pair of phones. Honestly, the price was definitely a cool part, but I'd easily pay well into the $150-$200 range for these (can't go much more, with the student budget). I now need to either get an amp or have my Starving student parts mailed up from home and finish it.

I have a pair on loan right now. If yu are using a computr as your source, get a NuForce uDAC to drive them. Mine arrived a few days ago and it made a nice difference. Bass extension, clarity, etc. Very well worth it.

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #1,091 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerwoodkhorns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair on loan right now. If yu are using a computr as your source, get a NuForce uDAC to drive them. Mine arrived a few days ago and it made a nice difference. Bass extension, clarity, etc. Very well worth it.

I am using my Silver Recabled 580's with a MisterX built y1 gamma lite DAC, and a MisterX built Steps/PPA v2 w/Bass Boost, and all ALAC files.

If the recording technique was good, it's a dream come true system.

If the recording technique lacks, it will be revealed, and you will wish they had taken more care with the source.

Great system, IMO.

Cheers!

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #1,092 of 2,080
Wow, in my prolonged absence this thread grew nicely! I've been running the same pair of HD580's for the last, what was it... four years now or so. They've aged exquisitely. I don't have any more grattle in one side except at literal near ear-bleeding volumes, the cable has been replaced with the HD-650 variant, the grilles are still the HD-600 variant, and the veil is but a distant memory since I replaced the foam driver lining with vinyl mesh. I'm still running the classic Z-Audio Mu with them, in its stock dual AD8023 (?) configuration with my Power Mac G5 dual core as the audio source. To this day, those 'phones perform with a spectacular signature of balanced sound, and thus they remain my all-time favorite pair of 'phones.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #1,093 of 2,080
Lucked out finding an Oehlbach Cable for my HD580, really opens 'em up and the sound is so much better put together with an RSA XP-7, 4G iMod and a R&B rca-mini IC.

May 2, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #1,094 of 2,080
I am happy to say i just bought this headphone from another member with the HD650 cable and grilles.And i love it!I don't think it has any flaws.It reproduces all the frequencies beautifully.It is true to the source.Down to the quality of the mp3.I think it has enough bass impact and extension for a "bass head" like myself.And i truly believe no one reproduces the "highs" better then Sennheiser.So unfatiguing!So comfortable.Finally a headphone i can wear for hours without any fatigue from the sound or comfort wise.I am currently using my 10 year old Harmon Kardon AVR 20II.Which is doing a great job of providing the proper current and voltage.But i would like some suggestions on an amplifier.I'm not sure if solid state or tube is the way to go.I have read the Little Dot MK III is a great mate.

May 30, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #1,095 of 2,080
I got my HD580s from another member here three days ago and have been listening to them since then. They have 600s grill and 650s cable and are around 6 years old or so. They sound so different than my beloved MS1is. I love both of them. Can't wait to plug them into my Audio GD Sparrow which is on its way to me now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back