The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #1,111 of 2,080

Quote:
^2x

I would love to know the true difference between stock 580 grills and using hd600 grills on the 580.  

For me the 600 grilles just opened up the soundstage a tad. I was more concerned about the looks though as the 600s just look way better.
tongue.gif

Quote:
I received my HD 580 recently.  I am loving the bass. I want to add a dac/amp to it to make the treble more prevalent. This will be a home set-up and I really don't want any portable dac/amp.

What's your current setup? I've always been somewhat of a bass-head and I have always wanted more bass from my 580s. I know most will take this as blasphemy, but it's good for a good 3/4 of the music I listen to...the other 1/4 is electronica which requires heavy punchiness that the 580s don't deliver sufficiently IMO. I am using a grubDAC prototype and modded Indeed hybrid tube amp. 

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #1,112 of 2,080
If you love the HD580 and just wish it had some more bass - then the HD650 will be perfect for you!

Sep 19, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #1,113 of 2,080
It's nice to see this old thread get some new life. I sold my "as new" 580's and to this day regret the sale, (the grass is always greener
redface.gif
) they had the hd 600 grills and senn 650 cable. I got both off the Senn site and while the upgrades did not seem to improve on the sound much, they sure made them look good, so much nicer too look at than the stock grills.
  I have actually been looking around for a pair of "New old stock" with no luck. looks like I might have to go for the 600's.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #1,114 of 2,080

Quote:

My 580s are EASILY my favorite cans I own, drive them with a darkvoice 336se, love them better than my 650s.

I know  this is an old thread, but I have to say, this is the most interesting post I've seen regarding the 580s. Once or twice a long time ago, I read that the 580 isn't quite regarded as 'audiophile' headphones, compared to the 600 and 650 which I've never tried. No idea why theyr'e not and if that's even true. But if they're preferable to the 650, it makes me even more happy to still own 580s, even more so considering the price differences.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #1,115 of 2,080
The HD600 and HD580 are essentially the same headphone. The only real changes are cosmetic, and the headband and grill are made of different material. Drivers are the same, though some (very few) people say there are significant differences in sound between them.

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #1,116 of 2,080

Quote:
The HD600 and HD580 are essentially the same headphone. The only real changes are cosmetic, and the headband and grill are made of different material. Drivers are the same, though some (very few) people say there are significant differences in sound between them.

Yeah, that's what I've read over the years, that they're basically the same. So is there any truth that the 580's are not true audiophile headphones? I'm fairly certain I've read that somewhere. Then again, what defines 'audiophile' headphones?

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #1,117 of 2,080

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I've read over the years, that they're basically the same. So is there any truth that the 580's are not true audiophile headphones? I'm fairly certain I've read that somewhere. Then again, what defines 'audiophile' headphones?

Heh, I would say that if one considers the HD600 to be "audiophile" headphones, then the HD580s are safely in the same category.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #1,119 of 2,080
HD580s are undoubtedly in the 'audiophile' category of headphones. No two ways about it to be honest, and they're cheap to boot.

I've had people with very nice Hifis (£10,000+ )who really don't like headphones listen to mine through my Arcam Alpha 9 CDP, to find them picking their jaw up off the floor and asking how much they can get some for. I prefer the sound of mine to my main Hifi amp and speakers, which were over £2K when new and aren't exactly bad!

I'm a bit 'broken record' like on the HD580s, but they really deserve any praise they get. They're not quite so well built as the HD600s which are more 'tight', but sound the same and are comfier.

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #1,120 of 2,080
Yeah that's one advantage I would give to the hd600s. They do have better build quality and most would say they look better. But like you said, the better build quality comes at the sacrifice of comfort.

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #1,121 of 2,080
Easily one of the best bang for your buck headphones out there.  Audiophile?  I wouldn't know....or care. Sound quality, comfort and value= a winner.  One thing I have learned from all my research and auditioning is that I am not in this game to have the "best" sound on the market but to get the best out of my current music collection without regret.   

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #1,122 of 2,080
Hey Everyone!!  I'm a new member here and was thrilled to find this thread dedicated to the 580s.
I have owned my pair since purchasing new back in 94/95.  I purchased them packaged with the original HeadRoom "Home" Headphone Amplifier. Mine are all original and in near perfect shape with no modifications.  I dug them out of my storage unit and am beginning to rediscover them all over again.  

For those of you who are fretting that these are considered by some "not" to be audiophile grade headphones just read this review dated Dec.94 from the archives of Stereophile Magazine. If I remember correctly, Stereophile Magazine awarded the 580s a "Class A" designation in their bi-yearly Recommended Components issues, and they maintained this "Class A"* ranking until the end of their production run.
dt880smile.png

Peace

http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/1294senn/

Stereophile Class A Ranking: Class A ranking denotes the best attainable sound for a component of its kind without any practical considerations. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #1,123 of 2,080
Quote:
Hey Everyone!!  I'm a new member here and was thrilled to find this thread dedicated to the 580s.
I have owned my pair since purchasing new back in 94/95.  I purchased them packaged with the original HeadRoom "Home" Headphone Amplifier. Mine are all original and in near perfect shape with no modifications.  I dug them out of my storage unit and am beginning to rediscover them all over again.  

For those of you who are fretting that these are considered by some "not" to be audiophile grade headphones just read this review dated Dec.94 from the archives of Stereophile Magazine. If I remember correctly, Stereophile Magazine awarded the 580s a "Class A" designation in their bi-yearly Recommended Components issues, and they maintained this "Class A"* ranking until the end of their production run.
dt880smile.png

Peace

http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/1294senn/

Stereophile Class A Ranking: Class A ranking denotes the best attainable sound for a component of its kind without any practical considerations. 

Welcome!!

It's crazy that HD 580 still stands today after more than 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back