The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #1,066 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me how hard driving these is. I know the hd600 are picky about their amp so I'm wondering if these are a bit easier.
I found a pair of used for sale at 75$ by a trustworthy guy, but I got a few questions.
Can the drivers be changed like with the hd25? And would a nuforce Icon / fiio e7 be enough to drive them? I'm getting one of there two to make a decent on the go audio setup when I'm using my laptop.

$75 is a pretty great deal (if they work, well cared for, etc), I would get them regardless of whether your amp is good enough or not. You can always try listening and if it doesn't sound nice enough, keep them for when you upgrade.

Drivers can be changed pretty easily. As for the two amps you're looking at, I don't think either will drive the HD580s very well, but if it sounds good to you that's what matters (until you get a better amp, heh).

also, I wouldn't be looking at the HD580s as on-the-go headphones.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #1,068 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, I wouldn't be looking at the HD580s as on-the-go headphones.

X2...not really ideally suited for a mobile audio set-up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to the hd580s with the little dot mk2... Boy are they good

Yep, I think the mk2 doesn't get enough credit these days. Cudos on a great bang-for-the-buck rig.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #1,069 of 2,080
Its the first time I came back to using some senns while already having this amp around. It actually slaughters the gilmore lite in musicality IMO
biggrin.gif
The LD mk2 actually has some balls to drive the hd580 while giving a slight tube smoothness.

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #1,070 of 2,080
Finally got my hd580's.
And I'm a happy fellah, I just spent 1h listening to Simon and Garfunkel staring at the wall.
And that's without a amp powerful enough to drive them.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #1,073 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally got my hd580's.
And I'm a happy fellah, I just spent 1h listening to Simon and Garfunkel staring at the wall.
And that's without a amp powerful enough to drive them.

Congrats! I've had mine for almost 3 years now and I still love them. With the addition of Headrooms micro amp and dac I actually prefer them to my new D2000's. That's amazing considering how old the 580's are now. I love both headphones but keep coming back to the 580's
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #1,074 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! I've had mine for almost 3 years now and I still love them. With the addition of Headrooms micro amp and dac I actually prefer them to my new D2000's. That's amazing considering how old the 580's are now. I love both headphones but keep coming back to the 580's
biggrin.gif

I've had mine for 7 years and am listening to them right now. I wanted to post about how much I'm enjoying them today so I searched and pulled up this thread. These are absolute classics that stand the test of time! Definitely on the relaxed end of the spectrum (some number of rows back instead of on the stage), but extremely enjoyable and listenable, definitely hifi to the hilt when you just want to pay attention to the music.

I'm just using a little turtle beach USB sound card on a laptop. Sounds great.

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #1,075 of 2,080
In case anyone is interested in updating the look of their 580s using the 600 grills, it looks like Sennheiser is taking advantage of the situation and has upped their price from around $5 (Canadian) to $15.. I decided I wanted them anyway.....

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #1,076 of 2,080
First time poster. I thought I'd dedicate my first post to my favorite headphone, the HD580.

I'm a semi-pro electronic musician ("semi" because it's not my day job, but I still work on commercial projects), and I use the HD580's as my primary mixing headphone. I'll usually get the mix right on the nearfield monitors, then go to the HD580's for a final adjustment pass. I don't know how many times the mastering engineer has asked me what I use for monitoring, since he doesn't really need to do much, if anything, for post EQ.

I find them to be well balanced, revealing without sacrificing musicality, and very comfortable for extended sessions. I think I should pick up a second pair.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #1,078 of 2,080
Browsing my favorite thrift store for some cheap vinyl today and decided to walk over to the electronics area (found a nice CD player about a year back) where I was extremely surprised to find a pair of Sennheiser HD 580's sitting on the shelf. I immediately grabbed them and plugged 'em into my iPhone to see if they worked. Immediately blown away is truly the only way to describe my feeling.

I now have an amazing pair of headphones that cost $4. These are most definitely replacing my DR150's, they just sound so much more relaxed and smooth. Needless to say, I'm truly amazed by these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back